Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old December 2, 2018   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Numex Primavera?

I like Jalapenos, but don't need or care for high heat. I use them mostly in omelets and chili. Thought I'd try the Primavera variety next season in an EarthBox paired with a regular King Arthur bell. Looks like a decent producer and not a very big plant, so an EB looks like a reasonable residence. Has anyone grown this one?
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2018   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Is King Arthur your bell of choice for green, or do you ripen to red? So many out there but not all ripen in my climate. Last year in out endless summer I had ripe red peppers as early as the beginning of July, and they kept going all summer. What a treat it was!

I've haven't grown a lower heat jalapeno with and flavor that resembles the real thing, This may be the breakthrough. I'm interested in opinions about taste if anyone has grown Primavera.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I found a PDF with info about NuMex Primavera https://cpi.nmsu.edu/wp-content/uplo.../Primavera.pdf
I have grown Early Jalapeno, TAM Mild Jalapeno, and Jalapeno M. All are very good tasting and producing Jalapenos. I would imagine NuMex Primavera is a good one too.

Our zones are so different. Pepper growing season where I am in Texas is around 200 days from plant out to frost.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2018   #4
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

King Arthur is the best bell I've grown. I grow mainly for red, but also use them green. Large, sweet (when red), and very attractive. Certainly worth a try.

edit: From a June 1st transplanting, I get red peppers by the mid- to end of July. Lots by end of the season. I've never had any disease issues with peppers of any type.

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 4, 2018 at 06:54 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote