Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 29, 2018   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've heard that Purple Calabash (a bit bigger than what you desire) bites back.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Bites back in a horrible way. There is only one tomato I have ever felt compelled to diss. Purple Calabash. I would rather drink the water squeezed from dirty socks.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You want a tomato that bites back sprinkle citric acid in the slices.
Just a wee bit.
Better living through chemistry.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2018   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Purple Calabash was the only tomato tasted at the Mid-West Tomato Tasting voted the worst ever and that it never be brought to the gathering again. Even worse than dirty sock water.
Old January 30, 2018   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I second SILVERY FIR TREE.
It is a compact determinate very productive , super early . It can be easily grown in 4 gallon container, if space is at premium.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #21
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Purple Calabash was the only tomato tasted at the Mid-West Tomato Tasting voted the worst ever and that it never be brought to the gathering again. Even worse than dirty sock water.
For some very strange reason this makes me want to grow it. Can it really be that bad?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
For some very strange reason this makes me want to grow it. Can it really be that bad?
YES, Purple Calabash can and is that bad, at least grown by me.

And Red Calabash is just as bad.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Red_Calabash

Carolyn
Old January 30, 2018   #23
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Having spent hours going through photos and my postings...There is little chance of my being able to identify the variety that I regarded as the perfect tomato.... I believe now it was never a Black from Tula or a Potato leaf Black from Tula ..I recall being given laterals/cuttings and seeds by a lady who said it was a Black from Tula .........I grew the four laterals and its all documented with photos etc on a Tomatoville thread...There is photos of it at an early stage then it was transplanted and I am not 100% sure that I have a photograph good enough to identify it ...

Now the seeds I think are gone... I recall they were in a folded piece of paper towel ...I have made several searches of my house and I just cannot find them ...Now at the same time of my receiving the cuttings/seeds I also purchased special root stock seeds ($1.50) each from a local Garden Centre ....They have disappeared also ...Did I put them somewhere "safe" together and have a mental blackout ?

This tomato is so important to me that I am considering doing a "total" strip search of everything in my house ...By my postings I received the cuttings and seeds in early 2016 so the seeds if found may still be alright.....

However first I would like to establish if the cuttings were indeed Potato Leaf and I would be grateful for expert opinion from the photos posted.....One in the foam pottle is early on while the other four in the green pot are of the cuttings later...They look pretty healthy so I wonder why I only ended up with one fully grown plant?...If they are Potato Leaf a full growth photo may be easily identifiable in later posts....Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NBFT_2018-01-31_121227.jpg (67.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg BFT_1_2018-01-31_121636.jpg (72.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg BFT_2_2018-01-31_121750.jpg (75.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg BFT_3_2018-01-31_122034.jpg (80.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg BFT_4_2018-01-31_122150.jpg (53.9 KB, 96 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #24
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post

Reminds me of 'Tomacco':

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #25
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

And your sure it's not black from tula, even though in your pics your containers say "black from tula"?? And your pics have "BT #" on each one...

And in this this thread you said you had Black from Tula potato leaf:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42435

"I was told that they looked like spud Tula". Are you trying to say Spudatula?

Just saying,
Al

Last edited by Al@NC; January 30, 2018 at 07:29 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #26
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

But I like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2018   #27
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron from Kiwi land!! If you want an "acidic" tomato, Early Girl has a great bite! It is my wife's favorite tomato, and it has one of the lowest pH values. It may not be as large as your dimensions, but it is a very nice little tomato that is productive and flavorful.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2018   #28
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

From what I've grown, Berkley Tie Dye Pink and Azoychka had the most bite, at the end of the season being downright mouth-blister-inducing. They are both however the opposite of firm.
There are ways to increase the trait, one of them being very high EC and second, high calcium and potassium.
When I was a child there were titted tomatoes from the south of the country (round with a tit, not the long types), and some were insanely acidic, I could barely eat them, no matter how much salt you put it never seemed to become salty, a clear sign of way high acidity.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2018   #29
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
And your sure it's not black from tula, even though in your pics your containers say "black from tula"?? And your pics have "BT #" on each one...

And in this this thread you said you had Black from Tula potato leaf:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42435

"I was told that they looked like spud Tula". Are you trying to say Spudatula?

Just saying,
Al
Hi. In early 2016 ..I was given some cuttings and some seeds by an elderly lady ...She told me they were Black from tula...I really never knew very much at all about Tomatoes and growing them back then ..Thats why I joined Tomatoville seeking knowledge and advice ....I was then guided on growing the cuttings by a series of posts and photos ..On May 3rd 2016 ( http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=40246&page=8 ) korney19 Post 109 questioned if it was a Black From Tula when he asked if my black from Tulsa were Potato Leafed....Well I never knew ?? Subsequently as I understood I was led to believe it was not a Black from Tula because it had Potato Leaves...anyway I managed to get one cutting to a height of aprox 1.8 metre and it had flowers on it (it was being grown inside) .
Now as I recall the flowers although initially a vibrant yellow just dryed up but right down at the bottom of the main stem were two green tomatoes.,...Then I was advised to bleach spray cause my plants apparantly were diseased ....I had 8 plants altogether 4 x Tasty Toms/Campari/Black Cherry/Early girl and the Black From Tula...So I bleach sprayed ....After that all the plants to me all looked "dead".....but I never gave up hope ...The two tomatoes on the BFT were still there and I resisted pulling the plant out ...All I can recall is that at some stage the two tomatoes on their vine broke off the plant and I hung them over a branch of a nearby Tasty Tom near the front window for light and basicly I forgot they were there ...Later the Tasty Tom produced fruit and it was after eating one of these that I saw a nice looking round black tomato hung over a branch and I remembered putting it there...the smaller one was still green but the larger one was now ripe and ready to eat...So I ate it?? The most beautiful fruit I have ever tasted.....
By this time I think I had already destroyed the plant....I recall digging the Campari and the Black Cherry out of their drums and by lying them sideways on a piece of alloy I got them out of the house to my greenhouse and got each into a new drum and upright..(an amazing Feat) ...I never thought they would be any good but each survived and months later were producing great fruit ...Amazing .. I really learnt how tough tomato plants were....Sadly I had never done the same with my Black from Tula ..maybe it would have survived and produced fruit also....
Anyway I hoped the lady could help me and I was so happy when she gave me seeds ..But of course they have now grown and I have been able to taste the fruit ..and they are nothing like the fruit I ate over a year ago....I believe the seeds she has given me this season are indeed Black from Tula ..
Were the seeds she gave me with the cuttings originally of the same variety ?? the seeds may still be in the house somewhere..So I have begun a total research for them...
Plus
I have just been out to my greenhouse and there was a ripe Black Ethiopean...and i have just tasted it...It was terrible?? Earlier I tasted my first Indian Stripe ...Now along with Black Krim and Black from Tula the colour IMO is Purple ....My mystery Tomato was actually Black and I never took a photo..... I also see my Paul Robeson may have a ripe fruit in a few days time...I presume its also purple ...I just cannot understand how the lady could forget a true Black fruit with an amazing taste ...but then again everybodies taste is different..
Thank goodness I have Tasty Toms? Having gone through 8700 seed listings on Ebay I would love to try and grow some of the varieties from easter europe ...Never found a Tasty Tom or a Popentate listed??
Regards Ron
Old February 1, 2018   #30
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Hi Ron from Kiwi land!! If you want an "acidic" tomato, Early Girl has a great bite! It is my wife's favorite tomato, and it has one of the lowest pH values. It may not be as large as your dimensions, but it is a very nice little tomato that is productive and flavorful.
Hi Thanks for your comment...Early Girl was one of the first varieties I grew ..I never thought it had any bite...I always try a tomato sliced in a sandwich and if there is a bite it comes out of the sandwich ....People here grow a lot of Moneymakers which I regard as Tasteless..
Black Cherry must be top of my list for taste but its a cherry fruit with an extremely hard skin which I find difficult to eat at my age...Getting seeds is also a problem here in fact it seems to me that our regulations are stopping the importation of top quality varieties and leaving it wide open for people who want to make a quick buck by marketing seeds that I found could be not true to label and failed in germination...I bought a packet of Black Zebra and all failed to germinate..
Popentate was in my young days in the 1950-60 era a great sweet fruit for sandwiches but they are no longer like my father grew ....Maybe I will find a variety ..I still have a number of unknowns in my greenhouse that could surprise me when they ripen..Eg Marriage Genuwine?? Never noted it on ebay...
Regards Ron