Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 26, 2016   #16
Shall970
Tomatovillian™

Default Hello

New, and need to introduce myself, Gardened when I was in my 20's, now retired and getting to play in the dirt again! Thanks
Shall970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #17
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

Default Update on the Germination Test

Hello all,

Here is my update on the germination test.

0 out 100 seeds germinated

Thanks you all for the insight and info.

On another note, I live in Atlanta, GA, and have not had any luck with bell pepper or any sweet pepper in general. Any info on what grows best in Georgia as far as sweet pepper varieties are concerned?

Please advise.

Best,
ibraash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hello, your first post on this topic was only 2 weeks ago. Even under good circumstances and with bottom heat it is not uncommon for hot peppers to easily take 3 weeks to germinate. Don't give up yet.
Good seed starting medium, moist with bottom heat x 3 weeks+ especially for hot peppers as they generally take longer to germinate. It is possible that these were dried with heat which may have killed the seeds but they also might just be slow.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #19
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Karen.

I am not giving up yet. I will leave them where they are. I initially did the soaking test, and about 95%:sank down to the bottom of the cup of water. The seeds I have in on a damp paper towel in a ziplock bag still look good. So we will see.

I will write another update in a week or so.

Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
hello, your first post on this topic was only 2 weeks ago. Even under good circumstances and with bottom heat it is not uncommon for hot peppers to easily take 3 weeks to germinate. Don't give up yet.
Good seed starting medium, moist with bottom heat x 3 weeks+ especially for hot peppers as they generally take longer to germinate. It is possible that these were dried with heat which may have killed the seeds but they also might just be slow.
KarenO
Old October 4, 2016   #20
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibraash View Post
I live in Atlanta, GA, and have not had any luck with bell pepper or any sweet pepper in general. Any info on what grows best in Georgia as far as sweet pepper varieties are concerned?
When I was growing in Atlanta, everything grew well -- except bells. Now, I figured that bells can sense my ambivalence toward them and responded accordingly. But maybe there's something in the sweet Southern air...

I don't grow sweet peppers, but there are many alternatives to bells. Check nearby threads. A friend sent me some Trinidad Perfume that look just like small yellow Scotch Bonnets but have no heat at all. I think they could be cored and added whole to salads.

One thing to consider about bells. As others have said, it's not so much whether you can grow them or not, but whether you can grow them so as be even vaguely competitive with your local supermarket. Better to put the effort into something else, IMNSHO.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2016   #21
ibraash
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I will look for other varieties and look for Trinidad Perfume seeds online.

Best,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
When I was growing in Atlanta, everything grew well -- except bells. Now, I figured that bells can sense my ambivalence toward them and responded accordingly. But maybe there's something in the sweet Southern air...

I don't grow sweet peppers, but there are many alternatives to bells. Check nearby threads. A friend sent me some Trinidad Perfume that look just like small yellow Scotch Bonnets but have no heat at all. I think they could be cored and added whole to salads.

One thing to consider about bells. As others have said, it's not so much whether you can grow them or not, but whether you can grow them so as be even vaguely competitive with your local supermarket. Better to put the effort into something else, IMNSHO.
Old October 7, 2016   #22
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Let me add a recommendation for Grenada Seasoning, another discovery that a friend sent. A little heat, but no more than a Peperone. Very tasty in fresh veg and in alfredo.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote