Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 28, 2011   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default Catalog Season

There is football season, basketball season, Hunting Season, and of course, Pro Tennis season (for Carolyn). But avid gardeners anxiously await the ultimate season, CATALOG SEASON!

I have Johnny's and Totally Tomatoes so far. I get the thick commercial version of Johnny's which takes a few days to wade through.

Sandhill is on the way to the printer and should be available in a few weeks.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2011   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I got Tomato Grower's Supply in the last couple of weeks as well. Why is it, no matter how many varieties of seeds you have, you always want more?
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2011   #3
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting catalogs, but I'm waiting for sandhill too! I've read through Johnny's many times already and keep searching to see if there is anything else I can grow or squeeze into my limited space .

Too bad I never saved all those old catalogs from when I was a kid dreaming of owning a farm, lol...it would have been fun to look at those now 30+ years later....and no, I still don't own that farm by the way.
Old November 28, 2011   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Darryl will you have Earl's Faux and any of the other new variations of Brandywine, and Purple Haze as shipping seedlings next year? For the last few years I do fine with seedlings right until it's almost time to plant and then a disaster strikes.

I think it was two years ago I had a batch ready to plant and set them outside for a couple hours, came back and a rainstorm had passed through and the run-off water from the roof and completely washed out the seedling trays. I'm not fighting the seedling war this coming year. Has been a total waste of time and I'm not going to ask for any more seeds from people and them not be used to full production so I can save seed and give back.

What strains and variations of Brandywine do you plan for 2012, and will you have any Purple Haze?
Old November 28, 2011   #5
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Stokes, Vermont Bean, Tot-tom, Pinetree and a couple others so far.

Stokes is a favorite for some reason, even though it is mostly about commercial varieties. I just like the glossy layout and the Canadian english. Its also fun to see a few varieties are still popular in commerce at least among their customers.
Old November 29, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sandhill is on the way to the printer and should be available in a few weeks.

And usually Linda has the website updated before the catalogs go out but I'm not so sure of that this year b'c last week Glenn received the proof pages for the book he was asked to write for Storey Publications and I'm sure Linda will be helping with that.

The subject? Heirloom birdies, what else.

Catalogs for me:

Pinetree
Totally Tomatoes
Vermont Bean

....... and waiting for more but since I don't plant that much these years I tend to get dropped from here and there, and that I can understand, but there are places I ordered from that I'm still looking for catalogs b/c I refuse to stare at a computer monitor.

Two places I always get a catalog from without ordering are Sandhill and Tomato Growers Supply, and with the latter Linda always sends me at least two copies so I can have one out in the living room for snow days and one here by the computer for reference.

Darrel, tennis season is almost over for me. The final ATP event at the O2 arena in London with Federer winning was over on Sunday, and now just the final Davis Cup in Spain between Spain and Argentina, and then a lull until the Australian Open Jan 16th I think.

Finally, a big surprise came in the mail yesterday. An autographed copy of Diane Whealy's new book. They were sent to all SSE Lifetime members. I'm not sympatico with all that SSE is about these days, but it looks like good reading. When Craig was out there for a tomato tasting this past summer he got a copy and and said it was darn good reading and we talked about him sending his to me, but now I have my own and I flipped through it yesterday and was quite imporessed with all the photos which represented a lot of folks who were there at the beginning when SSE started in 1975. It's not just a history of SSE but also relates to the impact that SSE has made on the availability of heirloom veggies and fruits, etc., for all .

Also interesting is contact with a local young man who is getting heavily into heirloom tomatoes whom I finally contacted yesterday ( someone gave me his card from a Farmer's Market and suggested I call him) and he's coming to my home Thursday for a talkfest. Should be lots of fun and he surprised me by saying he has my book and actually he had no idea I lived in the area until someone told him I did.

He's so high energy that he wore me out just talking on his cell phone but I've promised him all the seeds he wants for free, so he's up for it and so am I.
Old November 29, 2011   #7
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Pinetree is the one and only so far and I have looked it over several times.
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #8
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Dixondale and Highmowing here.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #9
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

No catalogs yet. That is good news about Sandhill's catalog. Has anyone heard when Gleckler's website will be updated for the 2012 season?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #10
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

TGS, Johnny's, and Totally Tomatoes are out already?? I'm starting to think my post office is eating my catalogs. All I have so far are tree catalogs, which reminds me that I have an apple tree that needs a late-season pollenizer.
jeffinjonestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
No catalogs yet. That is good news about Sandhill's catalog. Has anyone heard when Gleckler's website will be updated for the 2012 season?
I have to contact Adam about something else so will ask where he's at with updating new varieties and get back to you here in this thread.
Old November 29, 2011   #12
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinjonestown View Post
TGS, Johnny's, and Totally Tomatoes are out already?? I'm starting to think my post office is eating my catalogs. All I have so far are tree catalogs, which reminds me that I have an apple tree that needs a late-season pollenizer.
I agree with you! I ordered Johnny's, TGS, and Totally Tomatoes a couple weeks ago, and they still haven't come. Well, except TGS sent me their 2011 catalog, I want 2012. I hope they come soon! I ordered many catalogs from many different sites. Last year I loved Baker Creek Heirloom seeds; it was a beautiful catalog with many pictures. Excited to see how it turns out this year.

Happy reading,
Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #13
jeffinjonestown
Tomatovillian™

Taryn, I love the BC catalogs. I even wonder what quotes and family pics they have in it this time.
jeffinjonestown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #14
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Johnny's arrived today. I remember when it was a pitiful little thing. Today it has enough info to be sold as a book.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2011   #15
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I got Johnny's a couple days ago and Totally Tomatoes. I stared out all the
tomato pics in both and gave Johnny's to my wife to pick out the lesser
products. I tore out the okra pictures so she couldn't make any fatal
mistakes. Yankees don't do slime.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote