Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 28, 2015   #166
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm.. what to do with all those green tomatoes I picked and stored in my GH. Small, medium and more small and medium.. I have a lot, and frankly this time of year I am all tomatoed out! If there is such a word.. I decided to use them up and make some green tomato jam!!

Ginny

barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2015   #167
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Here you go.. Green Tomato Jam..Mmmm

Old August 28, 2015   #168
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few pictures of the process.. I am sure you want to know..

I washed, cored and cut the tomatoes. Lot's of green tomatoes!!

Ginny

Old August 28, 2015   #169
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I even threw in some cut up unripe Orangeglow watermelon.. Yes, I said unripe! I picked it before it was completely.. well, ripe. What can I say, It was creamy white on the underside and a few of the tendrils on the vine were turning brown. I thought it was close to at least being ripe and it is almost September.. I had a craving..At least it was not my largest melon. But, after cutting it open I was disappointed to still see it was pale. Not even close to being orange. Sigh... But I cut a slice and tasted it, just to be sure.. It was pleasantly refreshing. No.. it did not have that great Orangeglow tropical watermelon flavor that I know and love so much. But, it was refreshing, and I did not want to waste it, so.. I chopped up the fruit and tossed it in the stockpot with the green tomatoes.. No waste!!

Ginny

Old August 29, 2015   #170
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

See.. Chopped green tomatoes and unripe watermelon..

Old August 29, 2015   #171
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I cooked it down till barely soft, drained out some of the extra liquid.. then put the mixture in my high speed blender and blended away (skins and seeds) till smooth. Then I put the mixture back in the stockpot and simmered it on low for an hour until the mixture thickened up. Then I tasted, added a touch of salt, sugar, and a few spices.. Lime and lemon zest and the flesh, without the pith..Madagascar Vanilla Bean.. Cooked down another hour until nice and thick.. I do not add pectin.. Pectin makes it much too sweet for my taste.

Last edited by barefootgardener; August 29, 2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old August 29, 2015   #172
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I processed 6 delicious pints of green tomato jam.. The jam is thick, but not as thick as regular jam with pectin..It turned out really good, despite the slightly scorched tomatoes on the bottom of the pot.. Ooops, did I say scorched?? ..

Last edited by barefootgardener; August 29, 2015 at 12:38 AM.
Old August 29, 2015   #173
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Yep!! I said scorched!! Those darn tomato skins..But not to worry.. The scorching happened early in the cooking process, and did not effect the outcome. I stirred frequently, had it simmering on low, then the hubby wanted me to go outside to take a picture of his newly delivered, used tractor he bought off craigslist.. I was only gone a few minutes.. Well, maybe five or six..I could blame him..
But, I saved the day in the nick of time. I took the tomatoes etc. out of stockpot, cleaned and rewashed it, then put the contents back in.. Minus a few burnt skins..

My husband loves the green tomato jam.. Lucky him!! Hahaha

PS: It does not have a burnt flavor or scent at all.. Not even the slightest.. Now, for the other green tomatoes I still have leftover... Green tomato soup perhaps??

Last edited by barefootgardener; August 29, 2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old August 30, 2015   #174
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, thank you for the recipe for the zucchini bread. Nice jam, mmm.
I fermented in past ripe tomatoes only. People ferment green tomatoes as well. I never tried fermenting them my self, they did taste great. Will try this year.

Zucchini pancakes are easy to make.
1 grated zucchini (medium grate)
1 egg
2 tbs flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
add any spices you like or do not add anithing

Just mix and fry on any oil you prefer on low (on 3 if 1 to 10 electric stove) under the lid. Can be served with sour cream, honey, condensed sweetened milk or plain.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2015   #175
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Pattypan squash is great pickled/fermented. My mom made them long time ago. I really liked them. I wonder if any other squash/zucchini can be pickled/fermented...

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2015   #176
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I had a lot of ripe Margaret Curtain and Black Krim tomatoes that I needed to do something with right away. I recently made some yummy green tomato jam, so why not make some black tomato bacon jam.

Ginny

Old September 1, 2015   #177
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I gathered the ingredients: Black Tomatoes,basil, garlic, and sweet onion fresh from my garden. Dried coriander seed from the cilantro plants. Maple syrup we made this past spring, and bacon .

Ginny
Old September 1, 2015   #178
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I prepared the tomatoes by washing, coring and slicing into chunks. Added cloves of garlic and chopped sweet onions. I put the mix into a roasting pan and drizzled olive oil on top. Roasted in the oven for one hour until the tomatoes burst open and the juice cooked down a bit.

Ginny
Old September 1, 2015   #179
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Old September 1, 2015   #180
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Added the roasted tomato mixture to a large pot, being sure to leave some of the extra juice behind.. then added maple syrup, brown and white sugar, white vinegar, chopped cooked bacon, ground coriander. Cooked it down to half, then added finely chopped basil. Reduce the temp to low and cook for another hour, until the jam is thick and temps reach at least 220.