Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 19, 2011   #1
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Default Opalka seedlings

My Opalka seeds germinated in about 5 days but the seedlings are really very thin and fragile-looking. Costoluto seeds started at the same time look "normal". Is this a characteristic of Opalka, or is something amiss? Thanks for any input.
jgaleota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #2
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Opalkas are noted for wispy plants, and it was easily noticeable to me even at the seedling stage. No worries.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #3
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Thanks----that is good news! This is the first time I have grown them and I was worried. They sure look like they will need a lot of TLC. Thanks again for the quick reply.
Old March 19, 2011   #4
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, mine are DEFINITELY wispy!!! It's AMAZING to me that some of the varieties I can identify without even looking at the labels! Though some other pastes are nearly as wispy as the Opalkas! They looked dang near sickly for weeks... they've finally gotten big enough to look like "wispy" plants rather than "pathetic-half-dead" plants, lol.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #5
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear that I am not the only one! Man, they look so SORRY! What other pastas are as "wispy" in your experience?
Old March 20, 2011   #6
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaleota View Post
Glad to hear that I am not the only one! Man, they look so SORRY! What other pastas are as "wispy" in your experience?
I don't know if they are quite as wispy, but I have several hearts and pastes that are awfully wispy!!! Let's see... Donskoi(heart), Rebecca Sebastian's Bullbag(oxheart?), San Marzano Redorta Select(paste), Joe Thieneman's Australian Heart, and Romeo Roma... I'd have to do a careful comparison to say anything definitive, but I think the Opalkas are the MOST pathetic looking with Donskoi coming in 2nd, Romeo being the least "droopy"... it's hard to tell though b/c they are all different ages with the Opalkas being the oldest.

The one's that have really surprised me the most (out of 70-something varieties) have been Mr. Brown's and (to a lesser degree now that it's older/larger) Lescana which actually seem to be FRILLY!!!!!!!
Old March 20, 2011   #7
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

This is my first time starting any paste but I did start 4 or so hearts last year and they were NO WHERE NEAR as pathetic-looking as Opalka. They looks so skinny, I am afraid they will die. I check them every hour as if that will help!
Old March 20, 2011   #8
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, it took about a MONTH before they looked like they were going to LIVE!!! LOL! The good news is; there's a good chance we've got the real thing!!! (last year there were reports of some NON-droopy/wispy IMPOSTER Opalkas!)

And after closer examination... I think Gildo Pietroboni may be wispier than Donskoi, and is currently AS "wispy" as Opalka, BUT I don't recall that being the case all along, so I think it's the age difference!
Old March 20, 2011   #9
jgaleota
Tomatovillian™

O.K. Well, I better relax then. A month is a long time! Thanks for letting me know. Patience!