Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 19, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default When to Transplant (and fertilize)

My little tomato seedlings seem happy and healthy. I planted them in row flats on 3/2, and most emerged by 3/7.

What I'm wondering is - when to transplant them to 4" pots?

On the dense planting thread, it says about a month. But mine have good-sized true leaves already.

Any suggestions on how to decide when it's time to transplant?

Also, I haven't fertilized them yet. I was thinking of using Miracle Grow diluted (1/2 or 1/4 strength?) - soon? After transplant? ....?
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2011   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

if they have good size first true leaves, then they are big enough to easily transplant.
as far as fertilizing goes, i rarely do it, unless it looks like they are really needing it, and then i will use 1/4 strength solution. you can over do it with fertilizing and end up with large gangly plants when starting them in doors especially when inside temps start climbing in the 70s. the best my plants have looked was when i had them growing in my cool calumet basement where the temp was usually in the low to mid 60s. slow steady growth is what you want.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2011   #3
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

I second everything Keith said.

Potting up when you have the first true set of leaves beyond the "cot" leaves always seems to energize my little guys. I use Miracle Grow Seed Starting mix for both the initial sowing and the first potting up, so I usually don't have to fertilize, although one year I did do the quarter strength at one point.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #4
bohica
Tomatovillian™

I start mine in 4 inch peat pots, in Premier Promix with a little extra mycorrhiza mixed in. So I don't transplant until I need to go up into the plastic greenhouse Pots.
I have always given my seedlings a very light dilution of Kelp/Seaweed by day 3 after emerging fromm the soil, and by day 5 I add a very diluted amount of Fish to that drench. I mist with that very same light Diluted Kelp/Seaweed. My seedlings are always very strong and healthy.
bohica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #5
robbyjoe01
Tomatovillian™

Wow!!! Ya all don't plant by the moon. Need to listen to Mother Nature
robbyjoe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #6
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

I usually do it between 2-3 weeks , when the roots hit the bottom of the seedling cells, thats a good sign
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote