Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2011   #16
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrs View Post
The heat mats made for the purpose are limited in power. The one for 1 flat, that I got is 17 watts It's supposed to raise temp 10-20 degrees. Using it with a thermostat, you put the probe in the mix, or you could put it under the seedling tray, in the solid tray, if you are worried about the solid tray overheating or something. The thermostat can be set to whatever temperature you want.
If that amount of heat dries out the mix too fast, then you need to change something else.
Wow, those are really good prices. I might be expanding my heated area. Thanks for the link. Heat pads for people cast more than that, which I currently use- 50 watts each- enough to cook most plants- or start seedless watermelons. I use a thermostat, and they cycle quickly enough to reset the two hour auto shutoff.

But that's a digital thermostat and heat pads meant for plants.

Heading over to amazon...
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #17
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by camochef View Post
If you have a gas oven, I would suggest putting them in there with only the pilot light supplying heat (which is what I do).
Camo
My DB suggested this to me some years ago for drying seeds and it works GREAT.
There is, however, one small problem. My DB FORGOT she suggested this and BAKED THE SEEDSalong with dinner.
Tom
Old March 7, 2011   #18
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Any oven would be okay to use. Just turn the oven light on, and it warms the inside of the oven.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #19
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

well, my sister's oven also has no light...

and I'm reading in Seed to Seed on page 31
"Natural Gas inhibits many of the Solanaceae species, however, so do not try to germinate such seeds near gas stoves or water heaters".
So maybe a oven isn't the best place for tomato and pepper seeds anyway.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #20
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm tellin' ya - DirecTV box rocks. I had most of 20 varieties sprout in the mix in 3 days!

Now what I'm trying with the seedling tray under the lights, is to also put some water in the bottom tray. Remember, the water does not touch the bottom of the seedling trays, so no wet feet I'd think - I'm hoping that it'll just provide a little moisture in the environment, as those row trays do dry out quickly.

I'm also experimenting a little (unless someone tells me not to) with putting the jar with the seeds I am soaking on the DirecTV box. This is a sealed closed little jar, no way that the water will escape. If you're supposed to use warm water, why not keep it warm I'm thinking. I guess I'll find out.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #21
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I used to always use the cable box for starting seeds. But, alas, now we have this tiny little cable box which is worthless for anything but receiving cable! Never had a mishap with water vs. electronics though in all the years I did it that way. In fact, I'm now thinking maybe I should have kept the defunct VCR for that purpose. Hmmm. I think it gave off a little heat just when turned on, but not playing a tape.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #22
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Hmm.... I do have an old stereo receiver I'm not using... hmmm....
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote