Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 26, 2018   #1
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Terhune vs. Pink brandywine

What is your growing experience?? Is Terhune tomato actually Pink Brandywine OR is it a variety all its own?? I'm anxious to try Terhune next tomato season here in south Florida. Let me know what you think. Thanks as always!!
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #2
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Howdy! I don't have the links handy, but there are several threads regarding Terhune on here, including how Darwinslair derived that name. But it is most definitely not a Pink Brandywine! I grew the PL Terhune last year (a "competition" seed from Marianna's) and am growing the RL Terhune (from AKMark) this year. It is my wife' favorite pink slicer! Very productive, with large oblate fruit.
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Howdy! I don't have the links handy, but there are several threads regarding Terhune on here, including how Darwinslair derived that name. But it is most definitely not a Pink Brandywine! I grew the PL Terhune last year (a "competition" seed from Marianna's) and am growing the RL Terhune (from AKMark) this year. It is my wife' favorite pink slicer! Very productive, with large oblate fruit.
I just answered him in a PM he sent me and also sent him Tania's page for it,to wit,no one knows if Terhune has any relationship to Brandywine until DNA tests are done. Tom is a good friend,he sent me the seeds,I grew it and I couldn't say it definitely was NOT related to any Brandywine I know as you just did.

As I told him,look in any SSE Yearbook and you'll see various versions of what are supposed to be Pink Brandywine, but aren't. I also told him if he wants to grow a known true Brandyine (pink)to get seeds of the Sudduth/Quisenberry one.

Carolyn, who is trying to catch up here at Tville since she's been of line since last Tuesday.
Old February 26, 2018   #4
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
I also got my seed from Marriana's, but mine were RL. However, I grew a 5.42lb from them, and the taste was good too, sweet.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #5
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I also got my seed from Marriana's, but mine were RL. However, I grew a 5.42lb from them, and the taste was good too, sweet.
Mark- yes, I'm growing out 6 of your 5.42lb seeds right now, and I recall you told me they were RL. The seed pack from Marianna's last year was labeled "Competition Terhune" and all 5 of them were PL. So perhaps she has both leaf types in her collection. Thanks again for sending me that seed!!

After growing out Brandywine, Sudduth strain for many years and next to a PL Terhune plant, there is no doubt to me that they aren't the same plant. Could they be related?, of course! The Terhune fruit is larger and more symmetric compared to the Brandywine in my estimation, which tend to produce a lot of boat-shaped doubles in my gardens.

Terhune is a fantastic cultivar, in my opinion!!
Old February 27, 2018   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The first year I grew Terhune they made some really large pink good tasting tomatoes from very large potato leaf plants but since saving the seed the results have been different than those first plants. Now they almost never make anything larger than a medium sized tomato so I must have gotten some cross with a smaller fruited variety. The plants are still potato leafed but not nearly as vigorous nor as large and productive. I finally removed it from my list of must grow tomatoes a few years ago. I would like to get some of those good Terhune seed again if anyone has any to trade please PM me.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #7
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I've got you taken care of Bill

My wife will be happy to see her Early Girls and Terhunes out in the garden again this year!
Old March 1, 2018   #8
MissS
Tomatovillian™

No I don't believe that they are the same. Terhune has been later to fruit with a larger vine. Both taste very good but not the same as one another.