Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 12, 2021   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting a really late start

By this time most years I have seedlings of both tomatoes and peppers growing in my tiny greenhouse. Since I graft all my tomato plants due to soil diseases I need an extra month to get started but it isn't happening this year. I could start them now but the weather has been particularly cold and cloudy so I am waiting for a stretch of sunny days in hopes of avoiding too much damping off and slow leggy growth. It means I will be very late getting my first tomatoes of the season and likely my fruit size will suffer some but as I get older I worry less about those little things and just go with the flow.

My winter garden has suffered with all the cold snaps and for the first time in years I have had my Brussels Sprouts suffer with a very big stunting from the first freeze of the season. Usually they recover quickly and are growing like gangbusters by now but not this year. They are still stunted and growing very slowly. Likewise with almost everything else in the garden despite covering my hoops each freeze. I am still waiting for a break in the weather to set out my spring broccoli and cabbages so I don't have to build a hoop for them but it may not happen. Until I get them and my lettuce and onion plants out of the greenhouse I don't even have the room to get my tomatoes and peppers started.

This has been a very frustrating fall and winter season so far but I'm still hoping to salvage something from all the effort I have expended.

Happy New Year to all and here's hoping for a great spring and summer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #2
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

You, too, Bill!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I join Scotina with my wish.
Vladimír