Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 8, 2012   #1
fastback81
Tomatovillian™

Default Disease Control (fung-onil vs Oxidate vs Serenade)

Hello All,
I'm a newbie so I apologize for any topics that have already been discussed, but I'm dying to know what type of experience everybody has had with different types of fungicide as prevention/control of early blight/septoria/etc...

I'm trying to stay as chemical free as possible but I'm still trying to watch toxicity as well (I don't like using copper).

I've used Fung-Onil (bonide product with chloranthanil), but have been looking into Serenade and Oxidate and want to start treating more organically.

Has anybody used Oxidate and/or Serenade with success either for control or prevention?

Thanks for any insights in advance.

Ron
fastback81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I used Serenade for most of one summer with very poor results. The disease pressure is just too great here and the chloranthanil products are much more successful and also much cheaper.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #3
fastback81
Tomatovillian™

Do you feel comfortable with using Draconil? I do worry about the effect on beneficial insects but I don't know if there is any actual science that proves there is a negative effect.

I'd love to find out if anybody has used Oxidate with success.

Thanks for the post
Old August 8, 2012   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I never saw any problems with Daconil bothering beneficial insects. I used a lot of it this year and had more ladybugs than I have ever seen. I love having lots of ladybugs because I don't have to do anything to control aphids if there are enough ladybugs. Usually the ladybugs leave my garden in early June but this year they stayed. Maybe it was because we got more rain than usual this year. They got hit with Daconil every week and it didn't seem to bother them at all.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #5
fastback81
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a tin foil hat wearer but I have read that some people think the Chlorantonil (draconil) is causing Colony Collapse for bees?

Any thougts either way on this?

Thanks for all the information. This is a great website.
Old August 8, 2012   #6
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ron,
Haven't used Fung-Onil.
Been using Serenade, alternating weekly with an Actinovate, Exel LG, molasses spray.
Lot of good posts on Actinovate on the board. here is one:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14422

Until last weekend I had green plants top to bottom. So yes, I would recommend all 3. (Serenade, Actinovate, Exel LG)
With this lovely weather and humidity I got hit with powdery mildew or some type of mold. gone for 2 days and it effectively defoliated the 3 bottom feet off of 1 of my plants and was spreading.

Used Greencure on it and I think I am out of the woods. Going to do a post on it once I am sure.
Oxidate - I haven't used it but in the last few days I took a hard look at it as well as the Greencure. Hopefully someone else replies on Oxidate as I am curious as well.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #7
fastback81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Ron,
Haven't used Fung-Onil.
Been using Serenade, alternating weekly with an Actinovate, Exel LG, molasses spray.
Lot of good posts on Actinovate on the board. here is one:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14422

Until last weekend I had green plants top to bottom. So yes, I would recommend all 3. (Serenade, Actinovate, Exel LG)
With this lovely weather and humidity I got hit with powdery mildew or some type of mold. gone for 2 days and it effectively defoliated the 3 bottom feet off of 1 of my plants and was spreading.

Used Greencure on it and I think I am out of the woods. Going to do a post on it once I am sure.
Oxidate - I haven't used it but in the last few days I took a hard look at it as well as the Greencure. Hopefully someone else replies on Oxidate as I am curious as well.
Have you had an Early Blight or just the mold?

I started using Fung-Onil as soon as I saw EB (defoliated, put plastic down in the beds, I always remove sucker shoots) and it seems to have worked really well.

I'm not sure how I feel about the chemical composition though. I got some oxidate and may just start rotating it with the Fung-Onil but I need to do some more research first.
Old August 8, 2012   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback81 View Post
Have you had an Early Blight or just the mold?

I started using Fung-Onil as soon as I saw EB (defoliated, put plastic down in the beds, I always remove sucker shoots) and it seems to have worked really well.

I'm not sure how I feel about the chemical composition though. I got some oxidate and may just start rotating it with the Fung-Onil but I need to do some more research first.

Ron,
My plants have been "clean and green" until this weekend.
On Sunday started seeing some EB or Septoria on one of my plants in addition to the mold.
My neighbor has had EB/Septoria from day 1 this summer, so I really think the alternating Serenade and Actinovate worked. I took over spraying my neighbors plants on the same rotation as mine and it held everything off enough for him to get harvest. Considering his proximity and the fact that I interacted with his plants and took no preventative steps in between, (hand washing or cleaning) would seem to further confirm the effectiveness, in my own mind anyway...

If you have the Oxidate you may as well use it. What did you pay for it?

When I was researching -

Oxidate - $150 for 2.5 gal
Hydrogen Dioxide:..............................27%
OTHER INGREDIENTS:........................73%

Hydrogen Dioxide and Peroxide are one and the same.
Other ingredients? What the heck is that? Tried to find out - cannot.
Probably water and a surfactant.

I picked up a 16oz bottle of 35% food grade H2O2 at the health food store for $17. (Haven't used it yet)
Food grade means no stabilizers. Which also means it will break down quicker than it already does which is apparently rather fast.
At a mix rate of a 1 oz per gallon, that's 16 gallons of spray with roughly the same percentage as Oxidate. .27% (unless my conversion math is way off and it could be)
Add some molasses as a natural surfactant and I think you probably have a superior product for a fraction of the cost.

FYI - I don't think I would use the drug store 3% HP as it is not food grade and I am not sure what else is in it.
Old August 8, 2012   #9
fastback81
Tomatovillian™

James,

Thanks for all the info. I think I paid the $152 but it's for a large quantity considering dilution and I'm going to use it for my garden, my mothers, a couple neighbors and/or friends so it will work out long run. I just found a small premixed bottle they sell (that I didn't see before).

I mainly wanted to have it stocked for next year as a prevention. Would like to start getting away from Draconil though it obviously works.

Considering using Serenade and Actinovate as you are beginning next year- in which case I won't use the Oxidate.

So I'm thinking of finishing this year with the Oxidate and then starting next season with the Serenade and Actinovate.

Also, I had a much bigger problem last year but had success with planting Rye Grass as green manure to "clean the soil". I think this worked really well because I only started having a small problem last week (and I honestly didn't rotate).

Thanks again for thoughts.
Old August 8, 2012   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Oxidate is a Bactericide/Fungicide, 27% Hydrogen Dioxide.
I wouldn't be using that along with bio fungicides like Actinovate, Serenade or the like.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Oxidate is a Bactericide/Fungicide, 27% Hydrogen Dioxide.
I wouldn't be using that along with bio fungicides like Actinovate, Serenade or the like.
Ray,
The dilution rate on oxidate takes the actual percentage down to .27%
Is the hydrogen peroxide in general the problem with Actinovate?
Purportedly plants can handle up to a 5% solution of HP, but I don't know if I would go above 1%.

And I have no clue what the interaction with Actinovate or Serenade would be......

Edit - Answer to HP and Actinovate from the Natural Industries website
Q: Is it okay to use Actinovate with copper-based or hydrogen peroxide products? A: Copper-based or hydrogen peroxide products typically wipe out all microbes. It is recommended to apply copper-based or hydrogen peroxide-based products separately from Actinovate applications.

Last edited by JamesL; August 8, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old August 8, 2012   #12
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Ray,
The dilution rate on oxidate takes the actual percentage down to .27%
Is the hydrogen peroxide in general the problem with Actinovate?
Purportedly plants can handle up to a 5% solution of HP, but I don't know if I would go above 1%.
Phytotoxicity to plants is one thing, toxicity to microorganisms is another If .27% is enough to kill other bacteria, I would guess it's enough to kill Streptomyces lydicus too. You could always e-mail Boomer at Natural Industries to see if they have tested it.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2012   #13
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Ron,
Cheers and good luck on the rest of the year. Math wizard that I am, I gave you some bad math above.
With the 2.5 gallon size at $152 it comes in at just under $.40 per ounce for a 27% concentration. The 35% food grade at $17 for 16 ounces is at almost $1.12 an ounce.
Even accounting for the % solution difference it is still cheaper.
Read a little more about it and it could be a quality product. If no one who has used it chime is, you might have to give the product review.

Ray,
I did email Boomer about it.
If H2O2 breaks down quickly enough my thought is that you could spray it, take everything out and then respray Acinovate a day or so later.
Old August 9, 2012   #14
fastback81
Tomatovillian™

James,
I may have to be the first review, I think you're right. I can't seem to find anybody with actual experience using it.

Not sure if that is just because it's cost prohibitive or what, but I do think a lot of commercial growers use it so we'll see.

Thanks for the input
Old September 9, 2012   #15
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback81 View Post
James,
I may have to be the first review, I think you're right. I can't seem to find anybody with actual experience using it.

Not sure if that is just because it's cost prohibitive or what, but I do think a lot of commercial growers use it so we'll see.

Thanks for the input
Ron,
Any updates to report on your use of Oxidate?