Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2018   #16
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Does a plant that churns out 3 pounders that look like Eva Purple Ball and taste like Neves Azorean Red sound interesting? Did I mention 50 pounds of fruit from an ordinary plant? That is only 20 tomatoes folks.
I would say this plant sounds interesting. Interesting indeed.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Does a plant that churns out 3 pounders that look like Eva Purple Ball and taste like Neves Azorean Red sound interesting? Did I mention 50 pounds of fruit from an ordinary plant? That is only 20 tomatoes folks.
Well I see your dilemma, now! Sounds like this majestic creature deserves a very special name!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Well I see your dilemma, now! Sounds like this majestic creature deserves a very special name!
Sounds like one of those adds you see in the National Inquirer.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sounds like one of those adds you see in the National Inquirer.

Worth
I can see a few tomato names coming out of that place. Bigfoot's Baby. President of Mars. Chimp's Head. Secret Saucer... (of course that's only good for a paste! )
Old April 19, 2018   #20
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

WOW! What is the status of the stability of this?

Quote:
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #21
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing it out for the 3rd season. I had a bee made cross in Neves Azorean Red a couple of years ago. The resulting fruit were all double handers, i.e. had to use both hands to hold them. There is still a good bit of work to go to get consistency.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #22
bower
Tomatovillian™

"Double Hander" sounds like a good name to me. Best of luck (and enjoyment!) in the grow out.
Old April 20, 2018   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a tomato you would slice 1/2 thick and put on a big bun hamburger with lettuce and country slab bacon slathered in mayonnaise with salt and black pepper.
With a side of ruffles potato chips.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm growing it out for the 3rd season. I had a bee made cross in Neves Azorean Red a couple of years ago. The resulting fruit were all double handers, i.e. had to use both hands to hold them. There is still a good bit of work to go to get consistency.
I hope you know that I have a patent on Neves Azorean Red, and since it is a parent of what you now working on when it gets to the point that you would be selling plants of it, the standard payback to me would be half of what you are selling plants for.

I heard at one time that you and someone else,maybe Keith? were going to start a seed co,or whatever, is that still viable, and I ask, again, b/c of the patent issue.

Carolyn,just checking out your humor level when you read the above.
Old April 20, 2018   #25
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Raybo has developed "Marnar". It is a cross between Mariannas Peace and Neves Azorean Red. It is a fabulous tomato. I believe he's at F7 now. I'm growing Marnar from his F6, so I guess I'm growing F7 too.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #26
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I already hired enough high priced lawyers to break any patent on any plant I grow. Keith was not comfortable with the idea of sending off the parents of Purple Haze to produce a couple of pounds of seed in a commercial greenhouse setting. If he had been, I was going to foot the bill (about $15,000). Two pounds of seed would have sold for about $75,000 on the market. I wish I had more Purple Haze seed to the point they could be sold. Pointing out for your memory that I called Neves Azorean Red "Perry's Teasum" for a year or so when you first got seed 15 years ago. Maybe I'll name this tomato Teasum's child. More seriously, I am considering naming it "Double Hander". We will see.

I've thought hard about using Marianna's Peace as a parent in a couple of crosses. One I would love to make is Marianna's Peace X Red Zebra. That should segregate for a pink striped tomato that does not have radial splits near the stem like Marianna's.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #27
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like that pepper joe story all over agin.��
Old April 21, 2018   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Sounds like that pepper joe story all over agin.��
Absolutely!!!!

And I never did answer the lawyer's letter to appear in court in where were they, SC?? And I wasn't the only one who got that letter,heck, we would have had to rent a bus to get all of us down there.

Carolyn
Old April 22, 2018   #29
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

LOVE the name Double Hander! best of luck to you as you grow this out. It sounds like a real winner.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote