Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2018   #1
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default I'm loving this weather!!!

The rain has been just enough for a weekly watering and the plants are on auto cruise.

I mowed the garden and strung up the tomatoes again, they're loaded with babies. I need to get the leaves on them to stop the weeds. You can't tell but I weeded the garden about 4 days ago. I'm late planting other stuff but it's coming soon. Here's some random shots, 2 rows of tomatoes(bigger was planted early), squash, zukes and some beets.

I want to wish everyone a bountiful season and a prosperous year!!!!
Old April 12, 2018   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pics. It is nice to see all that greenery.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I mowed the area a couple of days ago where I'll be growing tomatoes this year in buckets. I missed this thread until now - it has been a busy week at home. I have given a lot of thought on how to control the weeds and grass. It's good to see your pictures.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It is weed time here. Grass is not yet growing but all kinds weed everywhere.
Our weather. Is very nice too. My tomatoes planted out last week of March, now actually growing. Few have buds and/or flowers.
Directly sowed okra, melons, cykes, zukes ..are popping.that means the soil has warmed up. .. pretty soon have to mulch to keep the soil cooler.
Have a nice weather !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

oh wow, awesome to see these pictures. we are still waiting on the daffofils to bloom. nothing yet but today it is supposed to be warm... finally. you have done a great job. everything looks wonderful. thanks for the hope.
Old April 12, 2018   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

A little light in the forest! It's a beautiful spot for growing. Do you move your beds over each year or grow in the same rows?

It sure is nice to see some green. Hopefully we will see some here in a few weeks.
Old April 12, 2018   #7
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Awesome garden. I see what you mean about auto cruise. This is my favorite time of year here in south Georgia too. Not much to do but watch things grow fast.
Old April 12, 2018   #8
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone!!

There's another cold front coming in Saturday, temps are supposed to be lower 40's. Hopefully that's the last one this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
A little light in the forest! It's a beautiful spot for growing. Do you move your beds over each year or grow in the same rows?

It sure is nice to see some green. Hopefully we will see some here in a few weeks.
I move the rows around every year, last year 4 rows of okra(planted 2' apart) was planted where the tomatoes are. We eat that much okra=gumbo, fried, boiled smothered!!!

Last edited by Rajun Gardener; April 12, 2018 at 01:03 PM.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #9
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Everything looks wonderful!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, I'm surprised you missed some of those bad frosts. I waited until the 16th to plant my first tomatoes and it is a good thing I did because a day or two before we got a bad frost that killed the volunteer tomatoes in my garden. I don't think I have any babies yet but it should be soon as they have been blooming for a while now and the ones I set out on the 25th of March are starting to bloom as well. I'm hoping that cold that is supposed to move in won't bring a bad frost with it because I am going to go ahead and set out my cucumbers, squash and beans. A few days a go they were saying it was going to get down to 40 and now they are predicting 44; but it got down almost that low last night and the night before it got down to 45. It seems we are actually having a spring this year. I hope this cooler weather persists for a good bit longer because everything seems to be loving it but unlike you we haven't gotten much in the way of rain the past month.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #11
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

compared to last year at this time, this year my tomato plants are about 1 foot shorter. We had 33 and 35 degF overnights last weekend and it looks like we will get that again this weekend. Just a late season I guess. BUT... no sign of thrips thus far, and that is my reoccurring nightmare
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #12
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Rajun, I'm surprised you missed some of those bad frosts. I waited until the 16th to plant my first tomatoes and it is a good thing I did because a day or two before we got a bad frost that killed the volunteer tomatoes in my garden. I don't think I have any babies yet but it should be soon as they have been blooming for a while now and the ones I set out on the 25th of March are starting to bloom as well. I'm hoping that cold that is supposed to move in won't bring a bad frost with it because I am going to go ahead and set out my cucumbers, squash and beans. A few days a go they were saying it was going to get down to 40 and now they are predicting 44; but it got down almost that low last night and the night before it got down to 45. It seems we are actually having a spring this year. I hope this cooler weather persists for a good bit longer because everything seems to be loving it but unlike you we haven't gotten much in the way of rain the past month.

Bill

Those last few fronts have missed me, they were more north and east, it got cool but I haven't had any temps lower than 45 for at least 3 weeks. I hope this front fizzles out so we can all plant but it looks like some cold temps for the eastern states.
Old April 12, 2018   #13
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful garden Rajun. Looks like I am still 2 weeks away from planting. We hit 83f today, but Sunday and Monday morning will be mid 20's. Cwazy!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #14
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

20180412_184232.jpg

20180412_184309.jpgGreat pics, I'm jealous! The 5 day forecast is calling for a couple of more nights in the mid 40s, but I hope to get the rest of the younguns planted outside starting next Tuesday.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2018   #15
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Rajun what a lovely sight to behold! We have one more cold snap coming, nighttime temps in the 30's Monday and Tuesday. Looks like Wednesday will be the day, woot woot! And I hear ya about the okra
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote