Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2016   #1
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Default New Garden Plot - How Would You Prep the Beds?

It's looking like I may have the possibility of sharing a new community garden plot with a friend in the city where I work. This would be a second location for me and a place where I could do tomato trials… more warmth, more sun.

Because of my travel schedule this summer, I don't think I'll actually plant anything before fall, and mostly likely only a nitrogen-fixing cover crop then. So I am considering the option of major soil prep for next spring. I have a space to grow in now so I can afford to devote the time to this one, including a couple of cycles of cover crops, compost, etc.

I plan to start with soil testing at UMass. I can build raised beds or not… I'm debating both options.

If you had a garden space that was basically a blank canvas and nearly a year to prep the soil for a massive amount of tomato growing, what would you do?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Manure, pref rabbit or alpaca and as many shredded leaves as you can get. Then I'd plant tillage raddish and winter rye in the fall.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #3
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

That sounds great… why alpaca or rabbit in particular?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #4
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

They are the best all around manures IMO. They don't have weed seeds, you don't have to age it before using, and it is in pellet form so no nasty cow patties but use what's available, just be careful about horse manure as I have had issues with weeds, specifically Bermuda.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote