Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2016   #1
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Default Regular leaf vs Potato Leaf

Hmm, I just got 4 seeds germinated of tomato from reliable source, 3 PL and 1 RL from supps to be RL variety. Fairly rare variety though.
Am not very familiar with the problem- should I keep one of each and see what happens? Collect seeds only from correct RL?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

If you have the space, why not grow out both and see if the mutation is a beneficial one?

Last edited by Scooty; March 17, 2016 at 11:22 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #3
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

If the variety is not known to throw both leafs then I would grow them both out and decide later on whether or not to save the PL seeds. I would be excited at the possibilities!

If your wanting to share seeds and continue to grow the true variety then yes just save from the RL plants but you may either have the same variety but PL or it may be a cross or new variety all together. It could also be a stray seed from another variety...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #4
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

If it's a fairly rare variety of tomato to begin with, I'd probably be as interested in seeing the fruit of the mutant as much as the true to type plant.

Last edited by Scooty; March 18, 2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old March 18, 2016   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Hmm, I just got 4 seeds germinated of tomato from reliable source, 3 PL and 1 RL from supps to be RL variety. Fairly rare variety though.
Am not very familiar with the problem- should I keep one of each and see what happens? Collect seeds only from correct RL?
Yes,Iwould collect seeds ONLY from the RL and here's the reason why and I have posted this here before.

The mutation from an original RL to PL can happen in a variety of ways at the DNA level. It can be a deletion or a reverse transcription,or looping out, or a single spontaneous mutation, etc.

The point being that it's certainly possible that more than one trait ( gene) can be altered and can be subtle or overt to the grower.

If you read the threads and posts here about Cherokee Purple,RL and its PL forms as to Cherokee Purple Potato Leaf and Spudakee, as compared with original CP,you'll see that there is little to no consensus on the whole darn issue.

And there are several other expamples of PL variants of an RLo riginal, and I for one don 't consider them to be identical except for leaf form for the reasons just given.

Then there's Kellogg's Breakfast, KB, and KBX the PL form, and through the years many folks have grown both in the same season,which is also important, and with this one there is consensus.

So no doubt a single spontaneous mutation that affected only one gene.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/KBX

Lastly, as to a reliable source,for me that depends on which source,since some sites grow their own and can view plants they put out for seed production, most use geographic isolation, and many sites contract out seed production or buy in bulk online. Just speaking to OP's, not hybrids.

Carolyn
Old March 18, 2016   #6
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The mutation from an original RL to PL can happen in a variety of ways at the DNA level. It can be a deletion or a reverse transcription,or looping out, or a single spontaneous mutation, etc.
Random curiosity. Is it known if one mode is more common with tomatoes (or solanales)? Say.... deletion vs frameshift vs point?
Old March 18, 2016   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
Random curiosity. Is it known if one mode is more common with tomatoes (or solanales)? Say.... deletion vs frameshift vs point?
Not that I know of and that b/c restriction DNA analyses would have to be done, and who is going to pay the money to have that done?

And why would one have it done since I,for one,don't know of any way to prevent mutations from happening. But I sure do know how to induce mutations,but that's another story.

Carolyn