Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 13, 2016   #1
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Default What size pot minimum for Dwarf Sweet Sue?

Hi, I'm growing Dwarf Sweet Sue for the first time and wondered what is the smallest sized container I can use. I've read that it can reach 4-5 ft tall, so it's rather tall for a dwarf, isn't it? In that case, I suppose a container should be at least 5 gallons?
Thanks!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

ACCORDING TO the description that the breeders have provided, DSS will reach an average height of 4-5 ft by the end of season. It has an indeterminate growth patter ..

That sound very much like Dwarf Purple Hear that I grew (in 2015). It was planted in a 5 gallon pot.
So I think you can grow it in a container w/ 5 ++ gallon of volume. and be prepared to support with a cage or stakes. That is what I am planning for my Dwarf Purple Heart.
Having said that, bigger pot can offer ease of maintenance . So I will plant it in a 7 gal. fabric bag.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gardeneer. I planted one in a 7 gal fabric pot too that I had, after reading your reply. I will plant one in the ground tomorrow too just to compare.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you are on soil you can put the bottom of the container in the soil a little and the roots will go into the soil and get water and feed.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote