Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2016   #1
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant Out Days

When is everybody planting out? We are thinking about starting this weekend....We live in South Georgia.
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #2
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksville View Post
When is everybody planting out? We are thinking about starting this weekend....We live in South Georgia.
My plans were to plant out March 25. Plants will be 8 weeks old then, however yesterday and last night we just received 12.5 inches of rain and it is supposed to rain until Sunday. Hopefully the next two weeks it will be sunny and dry so I can get them in the ground. I've got 160 tomato plants waiting on my front porch.

Bb
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #3
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Watch your weather forecast like bob mentioned. And your similar zone buddies. Study up what works by searching key word like 'the best time to plant tomatoes' etc. You will get different opinions based on various climates but all collected information goes into your personal decision...

You don't want to plant in soup, or just before heavy storms for days. Toms are real tough. Plant deep and you will survive some rough weather...making good informed decisions will only help.

I prefer a nice cool calm cloudy day after a nice storm. We get lot of those at about the right time.
Not always possible but sometimes waiting a week or planting a bit early...

Last year i planted a third of my toms a month early. Total risk but i was going out of town...
Left a third in the barn window and a third i just gave away. No late frost so the earlies were fine, the barn starts were leggy, went in late, but quickly caught up in no time...

^just an example of my climate and what could happen...i also start many more than i have room for as seeds are cheap or free if you save them from your favorites. Insurance back-ups if a critter or a storm takes them out...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
In South Georgia, yeah. It is about time. I North GA (Atlanta ) , I used to plant out late March, though the LFD was around April 8 or 9.
With the long term 15 days forecast you have ability to improve your odds.

Up here in PNW, traditionally most people plant out tomatoes around mid May. But , with some provisions, I push the envelope by one month and start planting out from early April on, gradually. So that should happen in 3 weeks from today.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #5
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Around here, Tomatoes usually go out around April 1st. I grow in grow bags due to poor soil conditions so its just a matter of moving the tomatoes and peppers from inside the greenhouse to the great outdoors when the notion strikes me.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #6
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I got some out Feb 29th. A few more last weekend. I want to get everything out this weekend.

The ones put out Feb 29th are doing super good. I wish I could have gotten all of them out then.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It's past time if you are in southern Georgia but I only set out my first plants yesterday here in southern Alabama due to illness keeping me from doing it nearly two weeks ago. I always wait to see if tulip poplars are opening up before planting and they started opening up about two weeks ago but I was under the weather so I had to wait til yesterday to start. There is probably a large tulip poplar somewhere near you so if you can find one start paying attention to it. I have never had a killing freeze after the buds start opening on them. I ignored it one year because everything else started budding out and I ended up losing all my tomato seedlings to the blizzard of 93.

Every year is different down here due to the quick warmups we can get and there is no definite date that can be used to get your plants out at the earliest time for maximum fruit set before the blistering summer heat moves in. I looked back and found that the most common date for setting out my first tomato plants over the past 40 years has been the first or second week in March but I have set out as early as the second week of February and as late as mid April.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

The weekend of May 14-15, with a good 10 day forecast.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2016   #9
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I planted tomatoes out 4-26 in 2014 & 5-2 in 2015. Shooting for the same range this year. Started my seeds yesterday.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #10
brooksville
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I read your post a few weeks ago about the tulip poplars. I have yet to familiarize myself with them. I really need too. This christmas my wife got some bee hives and we have been playing with them. Tulip poplar is a great nectar source for the bees. We started planting Friday. We started with the pinks and reds. Next week we are going to plant the remainder. We have about 40 to go. Should be a good year.
brooksville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #11
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Central Minnesota. I do the bulk of my plant out Memorial Day weekend. I haven't even started my seeds yet.
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #12
ilex
Tomatovillian™

April 10 more or less. No frost this year, but most of my plants are too precious to risk a cool wet spring or high cold winds.

Planting earlier doesn't usually make them ripe earlier.

I want to pick most of my de colgar tomatoes in late July early August
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #13
kameronth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Neon View Post
I'm in Central Minnesota. I do the bulk of my plant out Memorial Day weekend. I haven't even started my seeds yet.
Me too. I'm next door in North Dakota. I'll start my seed the 1st week of April and plant out Memorial Day weekend.
kameronth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #14
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
When is everybody planting out?
My traditional plant out date is the first weekend in June.

Some of my nearby family can plant out the second week of May.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #15
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
The weekend of May 14-15, with a good 10 day forecast.
Same here...
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote