Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2006   #1
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Default yellow tomato

I just noticed the gorgeous yellow tomato that Sherry_AK is using as her avatar, and it got me drooling! The best yellow tomato I've grown so far is Kellogs Breakfast, a wonderful tomato, but I decided not to grow it this year, I wasn't that fond of it compared to reds (or blacks). What are the truly great yellow tomatoes that any of you have grown? Can any of them compare favorably to Brandywines, Beefsteaks, and all of the icons of the tomato world? Or to the greens? I'm growing Aunt Ruby's German Green this year, and from what I've read, it could be one of the best tomatoes ever.
Old May 13, 2006   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

One yellow/gold that I'm quite fond of is Yellow Brandywine. Although the latest in my garden, it does pretty well in terms of yield and is very tasty. Also very pretty. I love the shape, as well as the color.

I'm growing Aunt Gertie's Gold instead this year. We'll see how it compares.

I have two friends who usually grow totally different varieties from me. They both prefer tomatoes with fruity sort of flavors, sweeter than what I like. So I've eaten Kellogg's Breakfast before, though not from my own garden. So far, I still prefer Yellow Brandywine, but that's just my taste buds.

Happy gardening!
Old May 13, 2006   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Lillian's Yellow Heirloom - delicious every year I've grown it. Moderate producer and sturdy plants.The fruits have few seeds so be sure to put a few aside if you want to save any.

Aunt Ruby's German Green - always a family favorite here, too. You won't be disappointed, weather permitting.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006   #4
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

Ahhh...Yellow Brandywine! Seeing as how I'll never go a year without Brandywine, my all time favorite, I think I'd love that. I'll try that and Black BW next year!
As to the Ruby's, I have high hopes for it. I begged John (jctm05) for it and he kindly sent me seed. This will be my first year to try seed saving, so maybe I can pass on the strain! Or maybe trade some for some Lillian's!
Old May 13, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Dave,

It would be helpful to distinguish between clear yellow tomatoes that don't turn to gold,as most yellows do, as opposed to orange tomatoes, which Kellogg's
Breakfast is.

Otherwise, as you can see already, you're going to get all sorts of answers.

As for golds, my favorite is Aunt Gertie's Gold, but I also like Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot) as well as Golden Queen and Dr. Wyche's Yellow, to name a few.

For oranges I like Kellogg's Breakfast, Jaune Flammee, Earl of Edgecombe and Tangella, to name a few.

For clear yellows , of which there are very few, I like Lillian's Yellow Heirloom and Hugh's.

For blacks, which I'm not that fond of but have grown many varieties I prefer Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple, a pink black, and Black from Tula, also a pink/black/

For green when ripes I prefer Cherokee Green, Green Grape and Green, with Green Giant, which I've grown, not decided on yet and same with Grub's Mystery green.

I can't and won't compare different colored varieties with each other since taste is both personal and subjective.
Old May 13, 2006   #6
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

Taxi is a bright lemon yellow.

Azoycka stays yellow rather than turning gold. It has a distinct flavor that I didn't love, but that's just me.
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006   #7
moucheur
Tomatovillian™

typo -- should be "Azoychka"
moucheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #8
melody
Tomatovillian™

A true yellow that I like is Rose Beauty. It's a KY heirloom found by Austin Issacs. Grown by the Rose family on Happy Top Mtn. in eastern KY.

Nice large beefsteaks..some have a slight pink blush on the blossom end, but it stays on the skin, unlike a bi-color. Great taste for a yellow.

I generally prefer the oranges..Kellogg's Breakfast and Jaune Flammee...they have a bit more 'bite' to them.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #9
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

well so far this year I have been able to collect the cherokee purple and green zebra and I think the others are pink or red.

hope for more variety next year. but I already have 7 or 8 for this year.

All the greenhouses seem to be waiting for memorial weekend to sell the plants around here. and with this cold weather no one is buying so they are keeping everything in the greenhouses.

Glad I picked up a few early. I have kept them growing indoors and they are getting big now.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #10
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

After first growing it last year, Aunt Gerties Gold is one of my favorite tomatoes. And it wasn't late at all. I'm trying Yellow Brandywine to compare it with AGG this year.

Also trying the oranges Carolyn mentioned: Jaune Flamee, Kelloggs Breakfast, and Earl of Edgcombe, all for the first time.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #11
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Do different color tomatoes have a different flavor?

I mean Melody says she prefers the orange tomatoes because they have a bite. Do most oranges have a bite, are most blacks smoky, etc???
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #12
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I love Lillian's Yellow and Hugh's but they are not anywhere near as productive in my garden as Yellow Brandywine. That is one great tomato!

DM, they seem different to me. Grow some of each and see what your taste buds say. Some blacks taste slightly salty to me, but not to other people.
Old May 15, 2006   #13
melody
Tomatovillian™

All tomatoes taste different...just like wine, but I can't say that all orange tomatoes have a bite...the two that I mentioned do. Both are quite flavorful and distinctive in my garden...others may have a different opinion.

I just happen to really like the way these two taste...I've tasted oranges that don't have the same punch...but may do better for other folks. Persimmon was very lackluster in my garden for instance.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006   #14
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have to agree with Melody on two that are quite popular - I just can't get too excited about most orange types like Kellogg's Breakfast, and even Dr. Wyche's Yellow.

I love the tart full flavor of the potato leaf golds (Yellow Brandywine, Elbe, Aunt Gertie.)

My very favorite yellow is Lillian's Yellow....Hugh's and Golden Queen and Azoychka also fine, but not quite as superb.
Old May 15, 2006   #15
peppereater
Tomatovillian™

This has been a great discussion. I was wondering if any pure yellows were full flavored. I did think the (orange) Kellogs Breakfast was a great tomato, and my most prolific producer last year, but I skipped it this year because it is very mild. I would grow it again. It definitely sounds like I need to grow Yellow Brandywine and Lillian's. Two yellows may be all I want to do next year. I have yellow pear going this year...and found out too late that I may be very disappointed with it.