Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2006   #1
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Default Got-a problem with (Stick )-how to deal with it???.

I have one or two (Stick ) tomato plants, and quite frankly - I just dont quite know what to do with them now they have reached about two foot high.

They dont seem to be making any branches or side shoots- just straight up sticks/stems, with rosettes of leaves round the stem at about six inch intervals, but that is all !!, this one has realy got me foxed, is it a indeterminate or determinate, and will I end up with a stick like stem six foot tall with no branches or side shoots- its an interesting little begger- and I realy have to sit down and put my thinking cap on.

Does anyone have any info they could help me with-regarding the adult mature form of stick.
michael johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Stuck

Michael,

Consider yourself lucky. You apparently have Stick.

A kind Garden Webber sent me a scant few seeds labeled Stick last fall. I started them this spring. Two seedlings resulted. Neither is Stick.

They both look identical ... erect central stalks, sparce foliage, no side shoots, leaves are willowy and serrated and spaced on the leaf stem evenly and juxaposed very much like Amish Paste.

I guess I'll keep one in a pot long enough to see if "Stuck" has any redeemable qualities. But it ain't Stick.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Michael,

Are you telling me that you grow varieties without knowing what they are supposed to be and whether they are det or indet?

That's a big no no.

Always know what you should be expecting so that if you don't see what's expected you know you have a problem.

But getting back to Stick, all most folks do is to give it support as with a tall pole and tie it up to the pole. That's what I did and it worked just fine.

And it will draw comments from those who see it, especially those who might own Poodle dogs.

To be grown for pure novelty and not for the greatest tasting pleasure. :wink:
Old May 12, 2006   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

That's pretty much correct Michael.
And my experience with it is different from Carolyn's.
I find it to be a rather nice variety with a decent yield of good tasting tomatoes. I am also interested in it for its apparent high fruit to foliage surface area ratio. Could
be a good "trait" to have around.

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006   #5
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

I only tried them because I got them in amongst others in a seed exchange- I decided to try it for its novelty value-not realy knowing anything about it, but I though i would learn as I go along.

If I am lucky enough to get it to the flowering and fruiting stage this season- (Papa Vic ) I will send you some real stick seeds to try- but its a real odd ball- not at all what I am used to, its hard to believe that its actualy a tomato plant.

I am also not sure if I actualy dare to eat any of the resulting tomatoes- its got me scared/this one.
Old May 13, 2006   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I was fortunate to get some Stick seeds from Bruce B. and seven of eight seeds sprouted. Six are Sticks, and one came as a regular leaf.

I will grow out the non-Stick just to see what comes of it. I would have expected the leaves to look more rugose, since the real Stick in so curly-twirly in leaf. Anyone know what the parentage of Stick might have been and what I can expect from this RL? Or is it more likely the RL is an inadvertent cross from last year's flower?

I am very fond of my little Sticklets and they are among the healthiest and trouble free of my current crop of seedlings. Can't wait to see what the tomatoes look and taste like!
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006   #7
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Lee,
How tall did your stick get? I am planning on 4 feet, or so. Will I need taller stakes? Anyone?
Old May 13, 2006   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tree, mine was partially shaded since it was on the deck, but it got to about 3 ft. With more sun no doubt it would have gotten taller.

As for parentage, I had all the links for that and gave all that info at GW before. All I can tell you now is that there is no one parentage for Stick, b'c there's another one called Curl as well.

And my leaky mind remembers that they are both mutants that were discovered quite a few years ago by some tomato geneticists.
Old May 13, 2006   #9
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Here's a picture of stick from last season.
I would say it got 4+' total. It might have gotten bigger in the ground.

Lee

BTW I also got a RL plant from my saved seed. Sent it out to a foster farm, so we'll see what comes of it.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #10
michael johnson
Tomatovillian™

Thats all very helpfull info folks- thanks.

At least I shall have a working knowledge now on how to deal with the monster at later stages- its weird !!.
Old May 14, 2006   #11
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the picture, Lee. I did not realize that Stick does develop long side branches later on. A surprising amount of fruit production too given the sparse leaves. And it will be quite ornamental grown with the right background. I'm thinking of a whiskey barrel with Stick, Silvery Fir Tree and some trailing Lobelia tucked in.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #12
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Someone brought Stick tomatoes to the NORCATT last summer. I wasn't expecting to like it but I did.

Maybe my tastebuds are not as discriminating as some of yours.
Old May 14, 2006   #13
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

I like it.

It looks cool

I hope I can find some seeds for next year.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006   #14
Catntree
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the info, everyone!

George, I'll probably have seeds this fall. Trade you for your heirloom.

Old May 14, 2006   #15
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Stick, grown in a 5 gallon pot, got easily to 6 feet for me last year. From saved seed, I got 19 Stick like seedlings and 4 regular leaf seedlings.

Stick was a mutation selected from a medium sized red (Stokesdale) - it was actually sold by Gleckler seed company in the late 1950's. When I first got it out of the USDA, I got only regular type seedlings, which gave me nice tasting, 6-10 ounce, oblate red fruit. Stick itself gives very different fruit - golf ball sized, red, and of very average flavor to me.