Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2018   #1
gardeninglee
Tomatovillian™

Default is it too late?

To start some more seeds? I'm in CA. I really want to start another tray of 6 varieties. I patio garden so already have no more space as I have about 20 seedlings. Talk me down...
gardeninglee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

https://www.almanac.com/gardening/se.../Los%20Angeles

Talk you down? That's not the Tomatoville spirit

I have never visited California, but if you have extra seed and some other place to plant them out - why not go for it? It might turn out to be your best experience or not. You won't know unless you try.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; April 20, 2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: t
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardeninglee View Post
To start some more seeds? I'm in CA. I really want to start another tray of 6 varieties. I patio garden so already have no more space as I have about 20 seedlings. Talk me down...
Ssssuuuure, I'll talk you down, right, and there's a bridge I happen to have for sale would look just right in your yard, too!

Only 6 more varieties and you with that long growing season?! Start 12 varieties, youngster and go for the gusto!!

This is Tomatoville, where you try to cram in just "another or three plants" and consider it a tradition
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I will be starting seed in the next few days for my late summer and fall tomatoes and I will have to graft them which adds another two to three weeks. Why not start more than six if you have room for them. If you don't have room then you can replace one or two of your existing plants that aren't performing as well as you would like.

We don't talk people down on Tomatoville we enable.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #5
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Not too late

Will start Estlers ML, Hillbilly, Big Beef, Cherokee P, Orange Paruche and GGWT in May for June plant out in 20 gal containers.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #6
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Not too late. Especially if you are in California. Our heat extends into October here. You're good.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #7
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

It's never too late to start seeds! I am a little east of you and I am still starting seeds. I have plants at different stages, some are in raised beds with good ball size matters,some that I am planting today and some that are still under lights. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely not.

I am germinating everything for my field this weekend, and I will not plant until late May. With our warm, consistent fall weather, I think there is a very good argument for planting late May and having plants that thrive to the edge of November.

Over the years I have avoided the more volatile spring more and more every year.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2018   #9
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Gardeninglee, CA has a long season. It's not too late at all. If you were in TX, maybe it's too late, but not for CA. And here at Tomatoville, we do feed the addiction whenever possible.

Go! Seed! And report back to brag!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #10
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I confess I am also going to sow some extra seeds ... our season here isn't long, but my balcony has glass panels, so..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote