Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2016   #1
karla-
Tomatovillian™

Default Oh Hail No

Long time lurker, first time poster here. A freak hailstorm came through yesterday morning and all of my tomatoes not protected by a WOW (all but 6) were beaten to death by the pea-sized hail. I came home from work yesterday with a sinking feeling that was confirmed once I saw those poor, sad tomato bits left laying in my garden. Thought I'd share with people who will share my pain.
Thanks for listening!
Karla
karla- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Karla,

I am sorry your tomato babies got beat up bad by the hail. Many of us have been in your shoes a few times. It is a sad to see, so yes indeed we share your pain. I hope the rest of your remaining plants do well the rest of the season for you.

What varieties are you growing?

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hail is a garden's worst enemy here too. I'm sorry it happened and I hope it is early enough to replace the plants you lost.
Welcome to the group and keep on posting
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sorry to read this happened Karla. You must have gotten the same storm that hit the Fort Worth Zoo?

I found a lot of transplants at a local mom and pop shop in Cleburne, Tx (Johnson County) that they were selling 6-packs for $2. It's a long drive from Flower Mound though.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Ahhh! that's painful. so sorry.
Old March 18, 2016   #6
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

So sorry about your tomatoes. I really am. But the title you chose for your thread is hilarious-I know I'm gonna like you!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by karla- View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster here. A freak hailstorm came through yesterday morning and all of my tomatoes not protected by a WOW (all but 6) were beaten to death by the pea-sized hail. I came home from work yesterday with a sinking feeling that was confirmed once I saw those poor, sad tomato bits left laying in my garden. Thought I'd share with people who will share my pain.
Thanks for listening!
Karla

Hail can destroy a garden patch in no time, so sorry to hear yours got trashed in that storm. It has made me feel just sick to see what hail can do to a garden.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #8
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I encourage you to keep your shredded plants going. I got hit by hail last year and my surviving stubs grew out and produced as usual, although about a month late.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #9
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I second Salsa's comment.

2 years ago, my first year growing large scale, I planted out about 250 seedlings. They were about 4-6 weeks old.

3 days after planting we got an insane storm. Unlike any I've seen here. Hail that was defening on the metal roof of my pole building. Only the 3rd time in my 39 years I've ever seen hail. Wind was so strong, it blew the hail sideways. I guess it was Midwest/Texasesque
We raised pastured poultry, and I had one of my mobile chicken shelters get moved 10' across the field and it turned 90 degrees so the door to it that was facing south was then facing west. These things never moved in all the wind I had seen to this point.
I had over 500 birds out in a number of these shelters at that point to add to the stress while I sat in my truck waiting for the storm to end.
My shelters were about 100 yards from where I was parked, and I couldn't see them it was raining so hard.

I was sick to my stomach after the storm cleared so I could go assess the carnage.

Tomato-wise, I lost A LOT of leaves, but the main stems were mostly intact. Within 7 days you never even knew it happened.

Chicken-wise, I only lost 1 bird. It got stuck under one of the base boards of the shelter that got moved.

Your damage might be worse, but all might not be lost. If you can't restart, I wouldn't give up just yet. Just look at it as a drastic prune maybe?
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I agree also. If the stems are still intact a up to a few of the leaf nodes then usually they will grow back if given time. However if you have good replacement plants of the varieties you lost it might be faster to replace them. Sorry to hear of your lose.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #11
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I clicked on this thread intending to say the say thing the last posters said -- it's amazing how much tomatoes can recover from apparently total hail destruction -- I've had productive recovery even when the stub was off at the ground. Depends on how big your plants were -- and probably on varieties and, as said above -- if you have more plants or have more available, might be good to replant at least some -- but otherwise, don't give up on the others too soon.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #12
Dinahsb
Tomatovillian™

My friends live in Fort Worth and they lost the skylight in their kitchen. I'm sorry that happened to you. I live in Dallas and we didn't have any problems.
Dinahsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

We had a couple of hail storms last year. I shared pictures here in the pictures section. But the plants were half grown and they did grow and produce fine. One was a Sungold that produced a lot of tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote