Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2016   #16
henry
Tomatovillian™

Depending on how the weather looks some where between the 5th to 14th of June and hope for a warm summer here in southern B.C.
Old March 16, 2016   #17
salix
Tomatovillian™

Usually the last week of May to the middle of June, depending on long range forecast and local weather. If no frost in sight, we're good to go! Henry, I thought you always had hot summers?! Or just compared to us?
Old March 16, 2016   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am in zone 7b/8a in PNW. But don't let the zone number fool you. I have also gardened in zone 7a in GA. Two different worlds, when it comes to growing warm weather crops.
Though our LFD is late Mar/Early Apr, but the temperature won't be warm enough for planting tomatoes then. Normal conventional tomato plating is around mid May.
But with few tricks I try to push the envelope by one month.

== Starting Feb, I cover all the beds with plastic. This helps to keep the soil dry and warm up a little faster.
== I have couple of small hoops and also used wrapped cage same fashion as WOW.
Doing so I get into action right around April 10th or so.
I have about couple of weeks to check the situation.
Gardeneer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zsp-5.jpg (101.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg woa-1.jpg (180.0 KB, 49 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #19
beachykeen
Tomatovillian™

NE Oklahoma is a funky state for tomatoes. Our last frost date in my area is the end of March (now), but we usually start getting too hot for blossoms to set in June. As a result, we try to get our tomatoes in the ground as early as possible, and then be prepared to cover them (for the late frosts). I generally have mine in the ground on April 1, and start to harvest on June 1. That means that I have to cover with frost blankets, etc. I am nipping at the bit right now. I have low hoops and row covers. Something is holding me back. lol
beachykeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #20
LindaB
Tomatovillian™

Here in SE Michigan, I plant anywhere from May 7 to June 1, depending on the long term forecast. Average last frost per the weather service is May 3, but that's only a 50% probability. 90% is May 17.

Last year I planted out May 10 with two nights that needed frost coverings. This year, I figure about the same because the weather is trending warm again.

There have been years when I waited until Memorial Day weekend. That's when I don't have to watch the weather reports any more.
LindaB is offline   Reply With Quote