Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2016   #1
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Default Anthro cherry and Black cherry comparisons in 2016

I need help to decide. I'm doing two cherry growout comparisons on my patio (best sun exposure equals best colors!) for 2016. Anthros and Blacks. I've got the plan for my black cherries done and dusted.

For Anthros the definites are:
1. Indigo Cherry Drops
2. Amethyst Cream
3. Blue Berries aka Blue Boar Berries
4.?

These will go into two earthtainers with two cherries per container. I have one spot open and the seeds for: Blue Ambrosia (Pumpkin Variant), Dancing with Smurfs, Bosque Blue Bumblebee, and Fahrenheit Blues.

I could maybe put a 5th Anthro cherry in a cloth grow bag. MAYBE. If I simply must.

I want the prettiest anthro (and black) tomatoes with earliest production and good snacking in the garden flavor. If they hold well on the vine, awesome. If not, oh well. It's a patio that is our summer kitchen/dining so I'm fine with eating them straight from the vine.

Alright. Let's hear your votes!

Last edited by BackyardFarm; March 4, 2016 at 02:39 PM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

You have the Antho cherries that seem to be the best. I don't know about a 4th.

I'm curious about which "black" cherries you have included.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #3
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

TGS Black Cherry as my "control group" tomato

1) Austin's Black Cherry
2) Ron's Carbon Copy
3) Purple Bumblebee
4) Kiss the Sky

Last edited by BackyardFarm; March 4, 2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old March 4, 2016   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a very interesting comparison. Looking forward to seeing the results!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2016   #5
charley
Tomatovillian™

I like black cherry better than Austins black cherry just my opinion
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #6
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Well shoot.

Here I am finalizing my lists and sorting through my seeds and it looks like I have seeds for "Zachary" (a black cherry) and for "Amethyst Jewel" (an anthro cherry) too. I might need to use some grow bags after all.
Old March 16, 2016   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Your going to want to grow Zachary a bit larger than a cherry but em em good
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am growing 2 Anthroes:

== Indigo Rose
== Indigo Apple

and one UNKNOW black grape. Got seed from store heirloom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indig rose.jpg (234.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg indig-appl.jpg (221.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg from TJ.jpg (66.7 KB, 85 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #9
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm going add Amethyst Jewel because it's pink plus anthro as well as Blue Ambrosia Pumpkin Variant because it's orange plus anthro. So they would both be different from the other three.
Anthros are so pretty! Like little jewels in the garden.
Gardeneer, if you save seed from that black grape I would love to try it next year. It looks very pretty!
Heirloomtomaguy, Should I grow Zachary instead of Kiss the Sky? I've read good things about it on here....
Old March 17, 2016   #10
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have grown both and both are great tomatoes. That being said in my garden Zachary tasted better. May have just been the year and great conditions but it did. I say grow them both and compare. The year i did i grew Purple Haze F1, Purple Haze Op, Kiss the Sky, and Zachary. I feel like ther is one more im forgetting. Anyways aside from Purple Haze F1, Zachary was a close second.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #11
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
I think I'm going add Amethyst Jewel because it's pink plus anthro as well as Blue Ambrosia Pumpkin Variant because it's orange plus anthro. So they would both be different from the other three.
Anthros are so pretty! Like little jewels in the garden.
Gardeneer, if you save seed from that black grape I would love to try it next year. It looks very pretty!
Heirloomtomaguy, Should I grow Zachary instead of Kiss the Sky? I've read good things about it on here....
If you need seed for Amethyst Jewel let me know. It was one of the better tasting blues I have grown and one of Brads earliest offers as far as blues. It is definitely bigger than cherry size though. More golf ball size with some slight variations and the "blue" is less intense than his other varieties. FYI. Really productive for me though.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #12
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
If you need seed for Amethyst Jewel let me know. It was one of the better tasting blues I have grown and one of Brads earliest offers as far as blues. It is definitely bigger than cherry size though. More golf ball size with some slight variations and the "blue" is less intense than his other varieties. FYI. Really productive for me though.
Actually I have some seeds already but thank you! (I think I got it in the '16 MMMM.) I'm so happy to hear it tastes good! I am going to shock the neighbors and the family with these blue tomatoes. And I thought it was difficult to get my dad to try a slice of a black tomato. HA! This is going to be like pulling teeth. It took two months of me convincing before the neighbor kid (4) and my little niece (3) would give a black cherry a try. (He said it looked weird and so it tasted weird She screwed up her face but ate it happily enough with some ranch. )

You say the size is bigger like a golf ball? (So about Jaune Flammee size?) In that case it may go into the main garden with the other salad tomatoes and slicers. What was the DTM like for you? Will it do well pruned to one stem and run up a cord do you think?

Last edited by BackyardFarm; March 17, 2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old March 17, 2016   #13
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
Actually I have some seeds already but thank you! (I think I got it in the '16 MMMM.) I'm so happy to hear it tastes good! I am going to shock the neighbors and the family with these blue tomatoes. And I thought it was difficult to get my dad to try a slice of a black tomato. HA! This is going to be like pulling teeth. It took two months of me convincing before the neighbor kid (4) and my little niece (3) would give a black cherry a try. (He said it looked weird and so it tasted weird She screwed up her face but ate it happily enough with some ranch. )

You say the size is bigger like a golf ball? (So about Juanne Flamme size?) In that case it may go into the main garden with the other salad tomatoes and slicers. What was the DTM like for you? Will it do well pruned to one stem and run up a cord do you think?
Definitely in the 2-4 oz range, I've never grown Juane Flamme, so I can't compare to that. Golf ball is a good reference for it though. I don't recall the DTM, but all the blues I've grown tend to take somewhat longer to ripen. The exception being Amethyst Cream. I've grown it single stem as well as 2-3 stems. It was a very productive variety for me both ways with big, long, fully loaded trusses.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #14
Pappi
Tomatovillian™

I would highly recommend Zachary, one of the better tomatoes I've had. Though it is definitely not a cherry. I would place it in the golf/table tennis ball to tennis/lacrosse ball size range. But again, well worth the garden space.

Pappi
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote