Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 17, 2014   #61
Megablossom
Tomatovillian™

Hi-
I'm the Tomato Lady in Santa Fe NM. I would be interested in possibly growing out some of your seeds as you mentioned in a previous thread. Your tomatoes look fantastic and I always want to promote unusual tomatoes and want to further your hybrid experimentation. My blog is: giantveggiegardener.com if you want to check me out.
Old October 2, 2014   #62
salix
Tomatovillian™

My report: All (3) seeds of 3C8 were sowed 1 April. On 7 April, one germinated - a healthy seedling. The other two never germinated. Potted on April 19 and planted out on May 30. A slow start due to very cold (with some frosts) weather the first two weeks of June, but eventually a very large, vigorous plant loaded with fruit resulted. The fruit was round, beautiful with reasonably good flavour and generally weighed a generous ounce. Very prolific, have a couple of dozen "bagged" seeds and a couple of hundred "unbagged" seeds saved. No disease issues (but none of mine did) and seems fairly hardy, the full grown plant withstood several near-freezing nights, only succumbing at -5 C. Hopefully I can successfully post this picture:

Rats, didn't work. Needs to be re-sized much smaller apparently and I am technologically inept. Will try again when I have some help. The 16 fruits in the picture ranged from 1.1 to 1.5 ounces and were red with metallic green stripes.

Last edited by salix; October 2, 2014 at 02:28 AM.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #63
salix
Tomatovillian™

All (4) seeds of 3C57 were sown on 1 April. On 8 April, one germinated - a healthy seedling. The other three never germinated. Potted on April 19 and planted out on May 30. After a slow start due to cold weather, the seedling rapidly developed into a very large and vigorous plant, loaded with trusses of beautiful fruits. These lovely little tomatoes were elongated oval in shape with nipples, weighing generally between half and three-quarters of an ounce. They were red with green/metallic stripes. Flavour was very good, would rate at 8 or 8.5 out of 10 - and sweet. Everyone liked them. Will attempt to post a picture:
Old October 23, 2014   #64
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default 3C5 & 3C45

End of year report.

3C5 was the heaviest producing plant I had of over 140 plants this year. It just didn't quit, and the fruits were very consistent.

3C45 was marginal - more attractive fruit, but much less production. To be fair, it got of to a bad start. One of two main stems was broken shortly after transplant and it never seemed to recover too well.

I assume you are not interested in any seeds back, as you probably have all the F2s you need.

I am playing with some Micros this winter. Do you have experience with or seed of any of those you'd be willing to share?

Thanks again. If you have any you'd like trialed next year, I'd be happy to help. I really enjoyed your blog.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2014   #65
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks

Thanks to all that grew out, and reported on, one or more of our experimental hybrids last year. Please let me know if you are interested in something similar for 2015.

Mark
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2014   #66
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I did not get a chance to grow them 2014 but would be interested in 2015 if possible.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2014   #67
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I did not get a chance to grow them 2014 but would be interested in 2015 if possible.
Sounds good, just PM me your mailing address. I think I'll start a new post so as not to confuse 2015 vs 2014.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #68
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default F2 growout of 3C3

I really liked 3C3 last year (it being my favorite tomato of the year). The only thing is for a striped tomato, it wasn't very striped!

I'm growing out 5 plants (f2s) of 3C3. I'm looking for GWR, with great flavor, and more stripes! The 5th plant 'broke' just before planting, so I took time to reroot it and it's just flowering now. I don't have any ripe fruit yet, but should soon.

Plant 1: I think this looks closed in shape to the original hybrid, I think it'll have more stripes.
3C3_F2_1.jpg

Plant 2: More stripes than anything I've seen. Can't wait to see it ripe. More rounded/heart shaped than F1.
3C3_F2_2.jpg

Plant 3: I don't think this has any stripes!?! I'll have to see if this is an accidental cross or just a GWR and no stripes
3C3_F2_3.jpg

Plant 4: I haven't found this plant 'exciting'. Less growth than the others, less production. Some striping
3C3_F2_4.jpg
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2015   #69
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Those look great! I didn't save any F2 seeds last year, but I wonder if Green Tiger from Artisan seeds is anything similar in taste - looks at least are very alike.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2015   #70
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default F2 growout of 3C3 - The results

These remained some fo the most productive tomatoes I've grown (and some of the largest plants!). There was quite a bit of variance in taste and size:

My evaluations:
Plant 1: Small, tart fruit Taste rating 6

Plant 2: Large and rounder good sweet - "wet" 8

Plant 4: long tart (less tart than plant 1) 6.5

Plant 3: large - more oblong good taste 7.5

3C3 Plants 1, 2, and 4:

Interior:
3C3p1_3C3p2_3C3p4.jpg

Exterior:
3C3p1_3C3p2_3C3p4Inter.jpg

3C3 Plant 3(At top of plate, fruit has red blush in center):

Interior: