Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 9, 2014   #136
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

That's impressive!...Especially considering your environment. Getting fruit to set must be a real challenge. In Albuquerque we are having low to mid 90's, but it is so dry I am watering like crazy, and fighting some early blight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
[IMG][/IMG] I grew three plants from JxGZ f2 seeds. All three plants have different fruit, but looked very similar and all have performed well in my 2014 garden. I have disease problems including rkn's in my sandy loam garden. All three plants show no signs of any problem and have survived two months of no rainfall and 100deg plus .... with irrigation only.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #137
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I've found over the years it is the large massive plant varieties that bear fruit on the interior of the plants. Our humidity is even lower than yours so the evaporation effect keeps the interior of the plants much cooler than outside temps. Like your climate the plant also has to endure early spring nights of low temps then handle extreme heat during the summer months and start again for a fall crop. This cross Chris allowed me to trial has been a great variety for my climate. Not to mention these f2 seeds each grow something different.
One of my sons just moved to Albuquerque from Las Cruses this year and he's still trying to adjust to your climate with his small veggie patch.

Last edited by tuk50; July 9, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #138
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear! How's the taste? Cant tell if you have stripes either.

If anything is worth growing again save the F3 seed from the plant. Don't be afraid to cull the bad plants...I know, it's hard...

Juliet is supposed to have some LB and EB resistance, don't know if you ever see that in your climate, but if you do and there seems to be a difference between siblings as far as disease occurrence don't save seed of the susceptible line(s), unless it's really awesome in some other way.

Quote:
I've found over the years it is the large massive plant varieties that bear fruit on the interior of the plants. Our humidity is even lower than yours so the evaporation effect keeps the interior of the plants much cooler than outside temps. Like your climate the plant also has to endure early spring nights of low temps then handle extreme heat during the summer months and start again for a fall crop. This cross Chris allowed me to trial has been a great variety for my climate. Not to mention these f2 seeds each grow something different.
One of my sons just moved to Albuquerque from Las Cruses this year and he's still trying to adjust to your climate with his small veggie patch.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #139
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I have EB and RKN's in my garden and all plants of JxGZ have shown strong resistance to both of these. I prefer the oval shape red with gold stripes. It is most productive and will be the variety I use for drying. The yellow one has gold stripes that are very faint, but are there. It is a typical yellow tomato taste .. bland. I also will be using these as my root stock for grafting. I used a few this year and these are great in my garden.
The yellow one has very few seeds, but is too juicy for me to use it as a paste or drying variety. The round one is simply not productive enough to use. The oval shaped one has very thick walls and a good taste with good production.
I also grew three JxSR this year and again ber on all early fruit and some EB problems. I won't be using this variety anymore.

Last edited by tuk50; July 9, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #140
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update. You're on your way to creating your own unique family line!

Quote:
I have EB and RKN's in my garden and all plants of JxGZ have shown strong resistance to both of these. I prefer the oval shape red with gold stripes. It is most productive and will be the variety I use for drying. The yellow one has gold stripes that are very faint, but are there. It is a typical yellow tomato taste .. bland. I also will be using these as my root stock for grafting. I used a few this year and these are great in my garden.
The yellow one has very few seeds, but is too juicy for me to use it as a paste or drying variety. The round one is simply not productive enough to use. The oval shaped one has very thick walls and a good taste with good production.
I also grew three JxSR this year and again ber on all early fruit and some EB problems. I won't be using this variety anymore.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old July 10, 2014   #141
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Chris, You are welcome to any of these described... I've saved some from each if you want seeds out of this f2 batch.
Thanks again, for letting me grow these out. It has been very worth while for this variety I'm isolating.
Old August 23, 2014   #142
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else follow-up on any of the lines I sent originally? Would love to hear about results.

I'm really interested in GZ x BFT since the F1 is getting good reviews in this thread. A colleague grew one F2 plant and got a nice striped fruit. His plant was not in a good location though so hard to assess the plant and fruit quality. I've sent F2 seed to another that was going to do a larger growout but haven't heard back.

Old August 23, 2014   #143
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anyone else follow-up on any of the lines I sent originally? Would love to hear about results.

I'm really interested in GZ x BFT since the F1 is getting good reviews in this thread. A colleague grew one F2 plant and got a nice striped fruit. His plant was not in a good location though so hard to assess the plant and fruit quality. I've sent F2 seed to another that was going to do a larger growout but haven't heard back.
Last year my F1 seed saving was a disaster. However, I had a few leftover to try again. Hopefully I will be able to continue the growout from them, just a year later. I am getting some "mystery" tomatoes that basically look like a green zebra with a red blush. Those could possibly be from my last years seeds I got from you, but no way to know without a label. And the wind storm took that.Good tomato though. Tastes good and looks stunning.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; August 23, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #144
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Here are a couple of pix of the F2 fruit from my colleague. It was ~2.6 oz. I didn't taste it as it was pretty over-ripe. Color is a tiny bit off due to the lighting in the kitchen. It's a pretty tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZBFT_F2-1a.jpg (290.0 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg GZBFT_F2-1b.jpg (274.6 KB, 197 views)

Old January 4, 2015   #145
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

I grew the crosses that I liked last year and the tomatoes were not as pretty as f-1 but were very good eating my two favorite the Chocolate cherry x Juliet cross very good and the Juliet x green zebra cross was my favorite eating of all tomatoes that I grew 53 variety's. Sun Gold x Black From Tula was ok I did save seed for all. would you like some or just grow them out again...

Last edited by dustyrivergarden; January 4, 2015 at 08:40 PM.
dustyrivergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2015   #146
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Glad you posted! Any pictures of the F2s (esp of CC x Juliet & Juliet x GZ)? Don't need seed back right now but if you grow the F3s I'd love to see/hear how they do for you in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrivergarden View Post
I grew the crosses that I liked last year and the tomatoes were not as pretty as f-1 but were very good eating my two favorite the Chocolate cherry x Juliet cross very good and the Juliet x green zebra cross was my favorite eating of all tomatoes that I grew 53 variety's. Sun Gold x Black From Tula was ok I did save seed for all. would you like some or just grow them out again...

Old March 3, 2015   #147
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

As far as photo's I am looking I do see piles of tomato pictures with them in it but several others as well but the photo that Salsacharley put up looks just like my tomatoes but three different plants. the sun gold x black from tula looks just like that first tomato. the second tomato looks just like the Green zebra x juliet also my favorite yum and the third was the chocolate cherry juliet cross was also delish but they looked just like that photo.
Old March 3, 2015   #148
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

[IMG][/IMG]
the one on the left is the Sun gold x black from tula cross the other was a bee cross with a gary 'osena

Last edited by dustyrivergarden; March 3, 2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added text
dustyrivergarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2015   #149
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

sad, I can not find the seed for the Sun Gold x Black from Tula cross I have looked everywhere I even have the original seed packet...but I have dropped the seed for the other two