Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 30, 2013   #46
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Very interesting Lee. And how was it determined that scent and sucrose accumulation were linked? I wouldn't have predicted that myself, but what do I know.

I know that if I move forward following my nose that my body follows, that's what I know.

Carolyn
Carolyn,
That's a good one - I suppose we all follow our noses most of the time!
But, to be honest, the linkage is guesswork. We figured Sungold had wild parentage because of the scent, which is unusual, but which wild tomatoes have. Sungold also has unusually high brix levels.
There are accessions available (particularly l. chmielewskii) which have that foliage scent and are also known to have the sucr gene.
Brix levels in ripe fruit from F2 and subsequent generation Sungold plants with the distinct aroma were found to be significantly higher than those without it.
The explanation fits what we have observed, but we can't know for sure without full genetic testing. Makes a great detective story though!

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #47
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Either the linkage is partial or else it is easily broken. I've grown several dozen sungold derived lines in the last 3 years and only 1 of the super sweet lines also had the odor of Sungold. These are all F3 or above lines and were specifically selected because flavor was exceptionally good and sweetness was very high.

DarJones

Last edited by Fusion_power; January 31, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #48
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Ah, this is good to know. I have several crosses with Sungold in the F2 stage and was considering using the unique smell as an early screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Either he linkage is partial or else it is easily broken. I've grown several dozen sungold derived lines in the last 3 years and only 1 of the super sweet lines also had the odor of Sungold. These are all F3 or above lines and were specifically selected because flavor was exceptionally good and sweetness was very high.

DarJones

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #49
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Either he linkage is partial or else it is easily broken. I've grown several dozen sungold derived lines in the last 3 years and only 1 of the super sweet lines also had the odor of Sungold. These are all F3 or above lines and were specifically selected because flavor was exceptionally good and sweetness was very high.

DarJones
I agree. The linkage is not perfect, but I have successfully used this as an early indicator in sorting through which progeny to use in the next series of crosses.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2013   #50
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
frogsleap - any reason to choose SunSugar over Sungold?

any early saladette's (or larger) with that skunky foliage in the works?

would love to see some pics .........
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013   #51
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

My records show a degree of linkage, though I abandoned lines without the scent after F3 because they had, on average, lower brix levels. If I had followed them further, I might have been able to select for high sugar as Dar has done.
I was pretty ruthless in culling the first year's 400 seedlings down to 36 and later to 18 lines and finally 6 lines. They all maintain the peculiar fragrant foliage and the lively sweet bite of the original hybrid. The main difference is some green gel around the seed. All are regular leaf and quite early.
For me, SunSugar was a compact plant without the vigor of SunGold, and had a different flavor. It may have been that summer though. We had heat and wildfires throughout the season.
Hope everyone's garden plans are on schedule.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote