Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2006   #1
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Default Brandywine #5525 from TGS

I am curious to hear people's experiences with this tomato, if any. In my rush (got a late start this year and just discovered heirlooms) to order my tomato seeds, I ordered this instead of the famed Sudduth's strain.

What can I expect in terms of production and taste compared to Sudduth's strain?

Thanks,
Pete
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Pete, no one can tell you how they compare, only you can do that by growing both at the same time.

But somethijng interesting about the #5525 listing at TGS and that's that Linda has said it's an Amish heirloom since 1885. No proof about that at all and info to the contrary.

W. Weaver claimed that Brandywine was introduced by Johnson and Stokes in 1885 yet Craig has posted a picture and info from that 1885 catalog and the drawing does not show PL foliage and NO fruit color is mentioned, so it could just as well be Red Brandywine as Brandywine. And the history of true Red Brandywine is that it's Amish and does date to that time.

There are many claims for the origin of Brandywine, the Johnson and Stokes one being just one of them. IF you go to Victory Seeds online , find the article written by Craig about Brandywines. My contribution to that article was mainly about the ones that arose thru accidental X pollination and one via a directed cross.

Linda at TGS has believed that the #5525 is the Sudduth strain, but couldn't prove it from her source, so got the known Sudduth strain and started offering that just a couple of years ago.

In general, if a source lists Brandywine without the strain designation it means they don't know what they have in that regard.

So I'm not trying to dodge your question completely, but no one else can tell you how #5525 and #5725 ( Sudduth) will compare as to perfomance, fruit form and taste unless they are grown in the same exact season and compared directly.

Now doubt you'll get very good tasting fruits off the #5525.
Old May 11, 2006   #3
Organic_Nut
Tomatovillian™

yes I made the same mistake.

I wanted the sudduth strain and am new to this. I had the word Brandywine in my mind. I run into some brandywine and buy it. later find some more and buy it.

then I get home and find out the 2nd place has sudduth strain and other strains but I had picked plain Brandywine. whatever that means.

so I phoned back and talked to the sale woman who really is not that much into knowing the details. so now I will have to buy some sudduth to get the real deal.

all this since Monday. here it is thursday.

I was looking at the Cheerokee Purple plants and picked a nice one. got home and it was a Hillbilly. I forgot to check the individual plant. goes to show. the sales man also talked me into some green zebra.

so here I am wanting sudduth and cheerokee purple and having plain brandywine, hillbilly and green zebra. I have to cool it a bit.

I have it all planed for this weekend. back to the store and just get what I want. haha. hope it works.
Organic_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006   #4
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
so here I am wanting sudduth and cheerokee purple and having plain brandywine, hillbilly and green zebra. I have to cool it a bit.
... another "OOCO" (Out Of Control Obsessed)
Old May 11, 2006   #5
PeteD
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137
Linda at TGS has believed that the #5525 is the Sudduth strain, but couldn't prove it from her source, so got the known Sudduth strain and started offering that just a couple of years ago.

Now doubt you'll get very good tasting fruits off the #5525.
Carolyn, this was just the type of info I was looking for. It is all much clearer now. Of course I will have to try the Sudduth strain in the future to see what all of the hype is about.
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote