Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 10, 2008   #16
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Dont know mate , Paw Paw to me is Paw Paw..Didnt think there would be too much different except in shape maybe and colour??...
Any chance of some Piccies of that variety??..
Cheers
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2008   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Maybe one of the other posters can post a picture. I havn't personally grown them but did alot of research on growing them and their use in treating cancer. Ami
Old February 10, 2008   #18
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Just went back through the threads to the first list/page to worths1 Pics of the Paw Paw and looking at it from this neck of the woods it appears to be a variety of what we hee call "Mango" at least thats what it looks like and maybe like you said "We may have a diferent variety of paw Paw down under"????..
Though from what i read it does state the goodness to be had from consuming this Fruit Paw Paw and the sameis said here...
Anyhows will try upload some Pics of our variety and i now have five fruiting trees(at todays count8) ...
And heaps more trying to take over the backyard from all the rain weve been having...
And Your Better Best
Old February 12, 2008   #19
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Here's a Pic of what i call the Papayia(doubt ive spelt it correct) or Red Paw Paw and as you can see more than one fruit growing on each stem or at least on most.
And the second Pic of what i know as the normal Paw Paw which ripens yellow when ready ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _IGP0421 copy.jpg (137.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Paw Paw05.jpg (89.0 KB, 26 views)
And Your Better Best
Old February 12, 2008   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Neither one of those is the American PAW PAW and I don't think you need a pollinator for ours, not for sure.

Here is a good link.
A real good link look at all of the photos.
Makes my mouth water.
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2008   #21
gladgrower
Tomatovillian™

Hello from Kentucky!
This is my first post at the "ville", and yet it's not about our beloved 'maters! I live where the PawPaw grows, and have about 6 growing that i started from good seed about 5 years ago. They are lovely tropical-looking trees, and i am looking forward to my first wildly tropical flowers on them this year - any first fruits will be a bonus, as i already love my young trees, nurtured so carefully for so long. BTW, our farm has a great abundance of deer and other wildlife, and they never touch the PawPaw trees here....but watch out for some sort of caterpillar that takes the leaves away just when one isn't looking! If anyone wants to know a great way to start the seed - let me know, and i will post method ( kind of long post!). As they have a VERY long taproot, even before the leaves show - they are not happy being transplanted as most things are.
Best regards,
Glad
gladgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2008   #22
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

gladgrower said,If anyone wants to know a great way to start the seed - let me know, and i will post method ( kind of long post!). Post away as I would be interested. Ami
Old February 15, 2008   #23
gladgrower
Tomatovillian™

Hi amideutch,
I have grown out many paw paws, but had learned with their DEEP early tap root, that they do not transplant well at all. Hence, i discovered a way to start a lot of them, from different seed sources with success - many successes!
First, get fresh seed, and the stratifying is important. Because of the tap root growth (it becomes VERY long even before any foliage or much stem show above ground) i began by using some black, large, perforated drainage pipe ( the fliexible stuff) and cutting sections 18" to 24" long. In the Autumn, late i made a nursery bed.Then dig a trench, and placed the pipe sections upright into the trench, and filled each with soiless, seed starting mix - well moistened. All around the pipe-pots, i filled the trench with mulch topped with a little garden soil. Into each pot, i placed 3 of my seed, about 3-4" deep, and watered in. The sat, stratifying thru the cold winter. Very slowly, in late spring to early summer, the seed begin to show....and i left them in longer, protecting the young trees from the full sunlight. Young Paw Paws ARE an understory tree, so sun protection is called for. In Fall, i transplanted the trees to their final home. By using the tubes, i am able to lift the youngsters out w/o damaging the long tap - and long they are! After transplanting out, i put 3 tobacco stakes in-ground to make a device to staple on sunblock material ( row cover, sheet, or whatever). By their second year, the sunblock can be removed, and the full-sun no longer burns them. While they are shade trees, older plants in more sun will provide more fruit, with higher sugar than those in shade.
I hope it is worthwhile for you to retry from seed! They are lovely trees. Mine are now about 5-6 feet tall, and i expect this next season they will have their first blooms! Such tropical trees and fruits in a zone 6 climate will be a real treat. They grow as wilds around here, but we have none of the wildlings on our woodland farm.
Old February 16, 2008   #24
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

gladgrower, thanks for posting procedure and I will give it a go this fall. Like the drainage pipe idea and am assuming you remove them from the drainage pipe when you transplant to their final resting place. I may have to order some more seed as my seed is 2-3 years old. Ami
Old February 22, 2008   #25
tomatoaddict

Can they survive and grow in U.S. zone 5 ?
Old February 24, 2008   #26
gladgrower
Tomatovillian™

I believe they will grow in zone 5 just fine! That's what i heard, anyway .
Good luck with them, if you try~
Old February 24, 2008   #27
gladgrower
Tomatovillian™

Amideutch,
Yes, i cut the pipe down one side with a carpet knife, and spread it open, taking care to break no roots. The planting medium is just a peat/perlite starting mix, so doesn't hold together that well. I just had heard that root damage can set these trees back quite awhile, but do not know that for fact.
Old February 25, 2008   #28
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

GG, thanks for the info. Ami
Old February 25, 2008   #29
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Glad,

Thanks for all of the info on starting seeds.

Terry,

All of my catalogs say zone 4 hardy. They grow 'em in Canada.

It looks like I'll be trying the Wells variety, and also starting some from seeds .

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2008   #30
Hristo
Tomatovillian™

I'm to very interested of Asimina triloba, but past 5 years I found that it is very difficult to find good seeds. So, does anyone knows good source of good seeds, which ships abroad (to Europe)?
Hristo is offline   Reply With Quote