Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 23, 2012   #31
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

ty phreddy i am going to plant my fi tree in the ground rather than a container.. my late grandmother was from izmir turkey and always spoke of how delicious the figs were so im so happy to be growing a tree here and hopefully make some cuttings for some more trees
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2012   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
I can only tell you that in Bulgaria the figs are just left without and other action. Back they come in spring, rather late though. Makes me think that I have lost it but in time back it comes.
Have been told I should reduce the regrowth to three or so 'branches'. I am having ten new plants made this year. One just digs or even pulls a 'sapling' away from the main plant. Put it in the ground and water it well until it roots properly.
Phreddy, where have you been lately, it's so good to see you back posting unless I've missed some of your posts.

Still touching base in your home country of England, then to Bulgaria for the summer, then to Malaysia for the winter?

Would that I had the option to travel around to three different countries depending on the season.
Old March 24, 2012   #33
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Phreddy, where have you been lately, it's so good to see you back posting unless I've missed some of your posts.

Still touching base in your home country of England, then to Bulgaria for the summer, then to Malaysia for the winter?

Would that I had the option to travel around to three different countries depending on the season.
Hi Caroline, yes still doing the annual migrationary route plus a week in Thailand mid stay because Malaysia only allows 90 day's visa.

Largely given up gardening because it takes too much out of me at my age although we will try a little "Square Foot Gardening" this year. Also a little Hydroponics for lettuce. We have gone 'VEGAN' for my health, it reduces the amount of cholesterol blocking the arteries.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #34
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Oh boy this thread brings back memories of my grandfather and his fig tree. I never knew where he got the cutting, someone told me they were figs from Italy...but nonetheless, when I was a little kid he had this bush in his back yard in NJ. Every winter the whole thing was covered up with burlap, foil, and plastic and was the ugliest thing you ever saw. When it was about 14' tall or so, he took another cutting and rooted it, and smuggled it to his new home in Florida in a golf club bag (lol) and planted it there. We were NEVER allowed to touch the fig tree, ever. One year about 10 years ago my sister and I flew down to visit our grandparents and lo and behold, there was the beloved fig tree we missed so much, FULL of fruit. So, we thought hey, we're adults now, he wouldn't mind...boy were we ever mistaken. You never saw an old man get so red in the face when he saw the bowl of figs we picked off of his tree. lol.. in fact, the man never ever got mad and that was the only time I thought he would yell at us...the figs were more important than his grandchildren ha!

You are making me want to plant a fig tree now!
Old April 3, 2012   #35
nicky
Tomatovillian™

5 fig cuttings showed up in my mailbox the other day, as a semi-surprise!
I have been reading up on fig rooting & what I am supposed to do with them. I have found it all really interesting. The fig forums have a lot of arguing - its a fun read.
Better than soap operas.

It looks like I am going to try the "new alternate baggie method" to root the cuttings! I guess mine will have to live in containers & come inside for the winter - or the greenhouse if it stays warm enough this winter.

If anyone has any tips I would be very grateful!
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote