Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 27, 2015   #1
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Default "Invasive Bamboo" *Pictures

I've grown a great interest in phyllostachys bamboo over the past few years. The variations in culm patterns/colors and the peaceful atmosphere they create (soft rustling in the wind) are very unique. Unfortunately the species has gotten a bad reputation due to irresponsible and plain ignorant people that stick them in the ground and forget about them. The installation of a rhizome barrier (high density polyethylene - 30" deep) or a pruning trench is all that's necessary to keep spreading to the desired area.

I'm currently playing around with 4 different varieties... Does anyone else have the same interest in the "plant"? If so, here's some pictures to tickle your fancy

New "Spectabilis" shoots - beautiful magenta sheath

"nuda"

New box I built last year

"Spectabilis" "Nigra" "Nuda"

I'll take some pictures of the privacy screen in progress on the property line once they begin shooting..

Last edited by Mike723; April 27, 2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #2
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm eating bamboo shoots from my garden right now. Yummy! As good as fresh asparagus, kind of an artichoke asparagus blend.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Nice plants Mike! But I'm equally impressed with the box you built. That is a sturdy structure.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nice bamboo box.
I love Bamboo.
Not all are invasive.
Here is a picture of my Golden Goddess bamboo around 12 to 15 feet tall.
Worth
IMG_2015042723492.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #5
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Thats a neat idea, love the box design too. I always liked bamboo, but was afraid of it getting out of control.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
Thats a neat idea, love the box design too. I always liked bamboo, but was afraid of it getting out of control.
Bamboo is a grass there are clumping grasses and runner grasses.

You would love the Golden Goddess bamboo.
It is a clumper it wont ever get out of control and stays in a clump about 3 feet wide.

Plant it about 3 to 4 feet apart and you will have a solid screen my house is behind that bamboo I am in my neighbors yard.

It was started 6 feet apart.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #7
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, ya know I haven't tried any shoots just yet.. of course my varieties aren't well noted for their flavor.. Which are you growing, edulis?

Salsa and Paul, thank ya! I wanted to be sure the rhizomes didn't wedge between the sections and pop them apart, so I spared no expense lol .. I'll be building another one this year and then I'll finally get around to stain and polyurethane.

Worth, yes I failed to bring up clumping bamboo, while I have some "Blue Fountain" in the backyard, I'm more into the runners for their quick screening ability and decorative culms. I plan on building a nice trellis system in the hoop house once I have enough dried culms put aside.
Some clumping varieties (like Fargesia Scabrida) are beautiful, but the problem is their need for afternoon shade - It's hard to come by in my yard lol.. Not to mention my little beagle that just seems to love chewing on the culms! I could kill him haha

Last edited by Mike723; April 27, 2015 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 27, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
Tracy, ya know I haven't tried any shoots just yet.. of course my varieties aren't well noted for their flavor.. Which are you growing, edulis?

Salsa and Paul, thank ya! I wanted to be sure the rhizomes didn't wedge between the sections and pop them apart, so I spared no expense lol .. I'll be building another one this year and then I'll finally get around to stain and polyurethane.

Worth, yes I failed to bring up clumping bamboo, while I have some "Blue Fountain" in the backyard, I'm more into the runners for their quick screening ability and decorative culms. I plan on building a nice trellis system in the hoop house once I have enough dried culms put aside.
Some clumping varieties (like Fargesia Scabrida) are beautiful, but the problem is their need for afternoon shade - It's hard to come by in my yard lol.. Not to mention my little beagle that just seems to love chewing on the culms! I could kill him haha
I'm not having any luck with my clumping giant timber bamboo(Bambusaoldhamii)it keeps freezing back.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #9
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

I love the coloration of the new shoots of Old Hamii. . You're right on the brink of it's hardiness at
15-18F .. In Austin your zone 8b I reckon? Have you tried mulching it heavy in the fall? It might give ya a shot.. I personally don't mulch the bamboo as it promotes shallow rooting - in an already shallow rooted grass; but if it's what it takes to get it through the winter than it's worth it. I'd rather lose a culm or two if it keeps it from dying to the ground..
Old April 27, 2015   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike723 View Post
I love the coloration of the new shoots of Old Hamii. . You're right on the brink of it's hardiness at
15-18F .. In Austin your zone 8b I reckon? Have you tried mulching it heavy in the fall? It might give ya a shot.. I personally don't mulch the bamboo as it promotes shallow rooting - in an already shallow rooted grass; but if it's what it takes to get it through the winter than it's worth it. I'd rather lose a culm or two if it keeps it from dying to the ground..
I think I need to dig it up and move it to a protected area and someplace closer to the house.

It has been neglected where it is at, but yet it still lives.
Last year winter and summer put a whipping on it.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #11
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Are the culms dying to the ground or is it just the leaves burning? I end up with some crispy leaves on the Nigra's and Auerocaulis' but the culms leaf back out in the spring.. The Spectabilis is impressive - not a sign of stress, made it through one of the harshest winters we've had in the Northeast in a while.
Old April 27, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All the way to the ground.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #13
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Oh geez . . . With that being said I'd have to agree that moving them to a more sheltered location would be your best bet.. The problem with putting them too close to the house will be having to worry about them causing damage during a wind storm etc.. I know you guys get some good ones down there..

Do you have a garage that you can plant them alongside?
Old April 27, 2015   #14
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My house is surrounded with trees and the place is almost all shade.
the one side of the garage is slated for something else but I do think I have a place to put it.
I have one acre there should be somewhere.

Ease of watering is the most important part.

Worth
Old April 27, 2015   #15
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

With one acre I'm sure you'll find an acceptable spot lol.. Yea, I resort to drip tape and a timer for first year transplants.. Takes the stress factor of watering away..