Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old June 7, 2014   #1
Siberian
Tomatovillian™

Default Best containers/pots for blueberries

I've never grown blueberries before and looking for some advice/experiences.

A local hydro store near me sells premium nursery pots quite cheaply. By premium pots I mean those very heavy duty (almost a rubber-like feel) black pots. The ones I am referring to are like this: http://www.hydroponics.net/i/137318. These are not the thin flimsy ones which are also sold as nursery pots.

I've always liked these heavier ones because they are quite wide, rather than tall and narrow, and thus suit plants with wide root systems, which blueberries have.

The problem is between their black color and how thick/heavy these are, they really hold heat. Notably more so than your average plastic plant pot.

Has anyone successfully used these with blueberries? Or any other berry plant for that matter? I know plenty of people grow in black pots without an issue, but I've never seen any specific experiences with blueberries or similar plants in these heat-holding pots.
Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Right now i am switching over from 5 gallon black pots which have been working good to the 20 gallon black pots from my local hydroponic store. Im hoping to increase the size of the plants. However with the los angeles heat they did just fine in the smaller black pots.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2014   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

What kind of yield does one blueberry plant from a 5-gallon pot produce?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #4
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
What kind of yield does one blueberry plant from a 5-gallon pot produce?
That question is similar to 'how long is a piece of string'.
There are too many variables.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

ok. thanks for the help.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

My sunshine blueberries are prolific in 5 gallon pots. I have been picking blueberries for at least a month now and still going. Oneal and misty blueberries are doing good but not as much production however the flavor or the oneal is outstanding. Just picked up a biloxi and a emerald blueberry and cant wait to see how they do.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old June 8, 2014   #7
Siberian
Tomatovillian™

heirloom-

Thanks for posting your experience! Might I inquire about the type of black pot you used? As I had mentioned in my original post some black pots are just fine despite their color (the thin ones release heat fairly well), but again these heavier ones get hotter due to the thickness.

Just wondering which type you used.

Thanks again.
Old June 8, 2014   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I have some blueberries in double pots, and some in single pots. I use a 5-7 gallon pot for the inner pot and a 10-15 gallon pot for the outer pot. I fill the gap with mulch. The ones in the double-wall pots (which are in a shadier location, too) are doing much better.

With the recent heat wave (80s-90s) here, some of the leaves in the single-pot plants have been getting brown and crispy. I have extra pots but am moving (locally) and have not had time to double-pot them.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The 5 gallon are your typical nursery pot a tree would come i about 1/16th inch thick. The 20 gallon are quite a bit thicker probably 1/8th inch or slightly thicker. If you are concerned about burning the roots just paint them white. If you paint them make sure to scuff the surface first or the paint wont stick very long. But as for me no paint necessary.
Old June 9, 2014   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I use 20 gallon pots when the plants get bigger. I do start with smaller pots. I try to use light colored pots. And I live in Michigan! I would never use black, the summer is just too hot here. Keeping an acidic environment will probably dertermine yield. Some grow to 9 feet, most 4-5 feet. Except Sunshine Blue a smaller plant. Excellent cultivar though. I don't have one, but want one. My area is so different Northern Highbush work better for me, but I would go with Southern in your area. I do have some southern myself. My northern are in raised beds. A mature Northern in a raised bed can produce 20 pounds of blueberries. 5 pounds though is typical until they become monsters. Some overcrop enough to hurt the plant. More a problem in your area. Here with more extreme conditions plants usually do not over crop.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #11
Siberian
Tomatovillian™

habitatgardener - that is great info! I had thought about double potting for 'insulation' from heat but quite nice to hear it actually works.

drew -

The grower I purchased from recommended Northern highbush types for my location. Based on this map (http://c0380802.cdn2.cloudfiles.rack....com/10226.jpg) I am right in the 1400-1800 chill hours zone in NJ, which puts me squarely in northern varieties (or so I'm told!). I'm in zone 6b, the northern end of NJ.
Old June 9, 2014   #12
drew51
Tomatovillian™

My bad, I guess I need to look better! Yes Northern would be best. I have Liberty, Toro, and Chandler. I also have Cara's Choice, not sure what that is? SHB I have Lagacy, Sweet Crisp, and Southmoon. The SHB are in pots and will be protected during the winter.
Old November 6, 2014   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Drew, how are you protecting your blueberries in pots? I have four first year plants. One plant is a 1 gallon from Lowes replanted in a 5 gal plastic pot. I have one bare root Top Hat also replanted in a 5 gal plastic pot. The other two plants were purchased bare root and are in repurposed 1.5 gal planters for now. The soil in all of them is a specialty blueberry soil from Gurneys , basically an expensive peat mix. Its very light and dries out every few days.

The temps are going to drop from 70 this week to 30 next week, with typical below zero weather coming on its heals. Burying the pots aren't really an option. Should they stay outside or spend some quality chill time in the cold dark garage .

-L.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2014   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Drew, how are you protecting your blueberries in pots? I have four first year plants. One plant is a 1 gallon from Lowes replanted in a 5 gal plastic pot. I have one bare root Top Hat also replanted in a 5 gal plastic pot. The other two plants were purchased bare root and are in repurposed 1.5 gal planters for now. The soil in all of them is a specialty blueberry soil from Gurneys , basically an expensive peat mix. Its very light and dries out every few days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post

The temps are going to drop from 70 this week to 30 next week, with typical below zero weather coming on its heals. Burying the pots aren't really an option. Should they stay outside or spend some quality chill time in the cold dark garage .

-L.
The garage. Mine are going there. I want them to go dormant first. You don't want them exposed to a lot of rain and such, pots can crack, roots can die. Keep them moist but not wet or dry. Probably water about once a month after they go dormant. Here is the problem in a nutshell. Thawing and freezing. Once leaves drop, or if they do not drop their leaves as some do not, they don't really need light anymore (if dormant). They need a constant temperature. Outside the sun warms the pot, roots, and plant. Then they get cold at night. This huge temperature swing is what kills them in pots. Worse if soaked from heavy rain or melted snow.What we want is a consistent temperature. No sun, hopefully they will remain semi frozen, this is fine, desired.
Some instead of watering pile snow in the pot. I myself am a little wary, but it may work. Buried in the ground works too, but like you, I can't really do that.
The ground doesn't really change temps much, it is fairly constant, so we need to keep temps fairly constant. Get them out early spring. Protect in early spring against heavy rains, or a large temp swing. We may need to sort of harden them off after months in the garage, Bringing them out only a few hours at a time. Once they break dormancy, they should be fine.
I have blackberries that are too sensitive for my zone. I plan to bury them in leaves once frozen. Again to protect against drying winds, and temperature swings. It's like insulating them. Strawberries are called Straw-berries because you need to protect them too. They are sort of evergreen, staying green most of the winter. So once frozen you bury them in straw. Straw, leaves, or pine straw can be used. Pine straw and straw work best because they let moisture out, leaves can mat, they should be shredded first.
It works really well. I buried my strawberries in pine straw and we had 13 days below zero, even down to -14 degrees. Not one died. You can also do this with blueberries in pots, use hardware cloth or chicken wire and fill with straw, pine or leaves. I don't think you need to do this in the garage, but you could, it will make sure they remain at a constant temperature.
Tophat is pretty cool plant, it should do really well with this treatment. I believe it was developed at MSU my alma matter. Oh a correction on a previous post, many consider Legacy a NHB, so it looks like only Sweetcrisp, and Southmoon are SHB. Cara's Choice is probably NHB (the breeder said it was his fav, he also helped develop Legacy).
I want a few more, well about 10 other cultivars, but will wait a few years till I move.

Last edited by drew51; November 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old November 13, 2014   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Its been much colder than was predicted. I left all the potted blueberry plants outside and its gone down to 9 degrees at night, repeatedly. Haven't been back to the cabin since last weekend to put them inside

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote