Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 31, 2012   #1
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Default My Daffodils Are Blooming

I occasionally have them by Valentines Day, but I don't think I have ever had them in January.......

It's been a strange year........

Last edited by DuckCreekFarms; January 31, 2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: sp
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2012   #2
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

i know what you mean. 65 yesterday and 63 in KC today.. I've never seen a winter like this
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2012   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

What winter? I don't see any winter.
Old January 31, 2012   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

We've got pink cherry blossoms on the tree in the backyard starting to appear. 70's most of this week in San Jose. My tomato seedlings are about 6 inches tall today, and getting stronger under the new T5 lights. March 15 plant-out is the goal this year.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Daffodils, and several types of alliums, here. And, I think some of the tulips, next to the house foundation, have bulged the soil.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Here, too- 62 degrees right now and almost that yesterday. I've got bulbs popping up and garlic as well, despite piling on extra soil and mulch earlier. It's wonderful having these beautiful days, though, even though we know that winter will be back before the spring-like weather is here to stay.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #7
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

But for a few ill-timed cold spells and I'd still be growing last year's tomatoes

I remember a lot of unseasonable weather over the years, but I don't recall a winter that has been this mild overall.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #8
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Here in NC, they had footage on the news last night of a bunch of kids out playing in short sleeves. I think I also saw one or two with shorts.

I can't do that. Yes, it's probably warm enough, but my brain tells me it's still winter and I need long sleeves.

(And a big Heck No! to the shorts. I have to prepare myself mentally and physically before I start showing legs. )
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #9
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

No flower bulbs here yet, but the garlic is starting to come up. Weird. It's also been extremely DRY here in the high desert. We went the whole month of December with no precipitation at all. Temperatures have been really mild, too. I have actually had to water the perennials this Winter. It's supposed to be in the mid-50s and no rain in sight in the next 7 days. Storms keep going up into the Pacific Northwest instead.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #10
roamwhereiwant2
Tomatovillian™

No cherry blossoms yet, but I have daffodils in bloom. We've had days that rated a perfect 10 this week. It's been so nice that I wrote to a local meteorologist and asked whether we'd be punished with a blizzard in March or worse, 95 degree weather in May.
roamwhereiwant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #11
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Paper whites are in full bloom here for a couple of weeks now, but the winter has been so warm that the Lemon Trees burst out in bloom today.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2012   #12
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Daffodils here, too. It cheers me up just to look at them.
Old February 1, 2012   #13
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

As Robin said, it's been stormy up here! All my daffodils are coming up, and one has a bud, but other than that, all bulbs seem to be right on track to me. I'm jealous of everyone elses warm weather. I haven't even planted my hoophouse tomato seeds yet, but I will this weekend. That'll cheer me up! March 15 plant out raybo? Nice!

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2012   #14
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

First daff bloomed on Dec. 12. All time earliest! Renjveld's Early Sensation. Snow crocus and snowdrops started blooming a week ago. Delaware Zone7
Old February 2, 2012   #15
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Well, no blooming here, but my irises have not died yet. They are still green. So are my strawberry plants. We should be near 0 degrees and daytime temps are supposed to be above freezing as far as the extended forecast shows. Honestly it is a bit distressing. We are free of most southern plant diseases for most of the summer until they spread from transplants grown in the south and shipped north. Our winters generally kill them. Without the cold, we could be in for some diseases we are not used to dealing with.

Seperately from that, we have had nearly zip for water precipitation since late July. Under an inch of total water. That does not bode well for spring planting.

Not what we expect for Minnesota.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote