Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old March 13, 2014   #46
Hermitian
BANNED

No worries, those are hearty varieties. Heritage is an excellent selection.
Old March 14, 2014   #47
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I have Polka, it's a good tasting berry, but small in size. I have only had it one year, a great performer for one year. It may grow bigger berries this 2nd year. Taste is very good! Prelude is awesome. Bristol is a black, I would research if it will grow in your area. For your area though in zone 5. Heritage may be better? For me in zone 6 Caroline is more productive and tastes better than Heritage. So I'm told. I have Caroline, but not Heritage. Caroline is excellent. Polana and Polka are from the same breeding program in Poland. Both are good, Polana was the first released. Polka is rather new.
If I recall some of my Canadian friends grow Heritage far up north with ease, requires little trellising. An upright plant. All are decent and probably will grow in your area, but research them, if they happen to have Fall Gold, a yellow, get it, it's awesome! Highly adaptable, needs a trellis, taste is super good. I harvest both a summer and a fall crop off of mine. Both are huge!

Chances are if starting to break bud, all will, and yeah it might be best to keep in a south window until all danger of frost is gone. You can pot it up.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014   #48
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Four raspberries planted resulted in four dead raspberry plants. I have a wonderful son in law who is diligent with his weed whacker. Next time, I need to make him aware of where new plants have been placed. They were not doing well anyhow. The heat and drought would probably have caused their demise if the SIL didn't get them first. I plan on trying black berries instead. My new blueberry plants couldn't survive the heat either. My new fig plants are doing great.

Ted

Oh geez.

Well I'm eyeing Indiana Berry and considering ordering three Jewel Black Raspberry plants. They may do better in South Carolina.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014   #49
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Lisa,

I was looking at the Berries Unlimited site and Heritage is a late blooming type. In Zone 5 i would avoid it. I think now my Canadian friends were having problems getting fruit! I had it bass ackwards!
Polka is early season, so i would suggest that one. I said fruit was small but they were prolific in the first year. Many raspberries are not, a good sign of an excellent plant. At least we know it's an early bloomer, and you want that.

Last edited by drew51; March 14, 2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old March 14, 2014   #50
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Lisa,
I was looking at the Berries Unlimited site and Heritage is a late blooming type. In Zone 5 i would avoid it. ...
Late blooming in what zone?
Old March 14, 2014   #51
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Late blooming in what zone?

You would have to ask Berries Unlimited. Usually it blooms late fall, versus early fall for Polka. So my Canadian friends have found the harvest interrupted by freezing temps. In zone 5 this might be an issue too.This is for primocane crop, not the floricane crop (both Polka and Heritage are fall bearing or primocane fruiting raspberries). Here in zone 6 the first frosts are late November, so most cultivars are fine here. Although newly planted cultivars Rosanna, and Double Gold fruited too late for me to get any harvest. But they will adjust to my area. And that could happen in zone 5 too? Not sure? A bummer with Rosanna it had 50 berries almost formed, but all were lost. I will for sure get a summer crop, I kept the canes. Many just cut them away and only harvest one fall crop. I would say most do this in the Midwest. I prefer getting 2 crops.

I know raspberries behave differently in your area, but Lisa is just a zone away from me, so no doubt flowering and frutiing habits will be like my zone. Certain rating systems rate me at 5b, others as 6a. 5b is more accurate as we got down to -14 degrees F this year. 30% or more of my peach tree buds are probably dead.

Last edited by drew51; March 14, 2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old March 14, 2014   #52
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I've seen Heritage raspberry plants at Home Depot.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old March 14, 2014   #53
Hermitian
BANNED

Thanks Drew, that's very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I've seen Heritage raspberry plants at Home Depot.
I've seen Home Depot selling them in Zone 11 where they have no chance of fruiting!
Old March 14, 2014   #54
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
I've seen Home Depot selling them in Zone 11 where they have no chance of fruiting!
Oh yeah. I asked the Bonnie Plants guys why they are delivering tomato plants to the Charlotte area when we are still having hard frosts. They just shrugged and said people keep them indoors, then gave me less-than-friendly looks.

Old March 14, 2014   #55
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I saw raspberries and blueberries at Sam's club. Early for here too! I'm at my limit with both, I have 6 blueberry plants and about 21 raspberry plants, which soon will mix all up, they grow so untamed! It's going to be hard to figure out what cultivar is what. new canes just pop up all over. It doesn't matter though. All are good cultivars. I'll just thin them to proper distances and go from there.

I talked to my one of my Canadian friends and he told me he likes Heritage because it is hardy enough for zone 4. But he only takes the summer crop, and forgoes the fall, which is opposite of most! I really do not know if you can get a fall crop in zone 5? It appears you cannot in Zone 4.
I have Kiwi Gold which is a sport of Heritage. I really like it a lot. It stands upright, and bears lot's of tasty yellow berries.It fruited early for me come to think of it. It's worth trying. It fruited like crazy the very first year.Plenty of time before the freeze. Maybe a feature of the sport? You know micro environments are all different, and i suspect one could get varients.
Lisa, all you listed are good plants.
Old March 24, 2014   #56
Hermitian
BANNED

My bababerry broke winter dormancy a few days ago ...

Old March 24, 2014   #57
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I am guilty of not reading past the first 3 words... saw "My bababerry broke" and let out a big Oh No to myself. Then looked down at your pic. Nice!

- L.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #58
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

Heritage grows good here in South Dakota
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #59
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Drew, I think peaches and who knows what else are toast this year. We had -14 too. They say peach trees live only 10 years here. Mine made it to 15 but the painters hacked half of it off and the heavy peach load took down the rest in a storm last tear. It was Reliance and only had one peach-less season of 15.

Last year Jap beetles ate ALL the fruit and left the pits IN ONE NIGHT at dd. I thought someone had come in and and their fill until I asked around.

To the raspberry end, an unknown red variety at the food donation garden cropped only once in late summer. The berries were small and tasty, but we were concerned about transport as they would crumble when picked ripe. I tried transplanting those suckers but they dried up and Ive never had success keeping rabbits away from the nice juicy canes from lowes. I have a few bare root from Gurneys but they have another year to go.

- L.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; March 24, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #60
Old School
Tomatovillian™

I just purchased 5 Heritage Raspberry plants from Jung Seeds. They say to space them 2 feet apart. I have Black walnut trees nearby in the back yard. Thinking of planting them in a 4x4 raised bed with 4 plants a foot from each corner and one plant in the middle of the bed (like a 5 on a dice pattern). Does anyone have any thoughts about this plan
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote