Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 19, 2012   #16
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
I have these blackberries growing all along the fence and carport- are these eatable blackberries? Do you know what type they are?
I think those are just called wild blackberries, but someone please correct me if I am wrong. And I am pretty sure you can eat them, because we had them growing all over a field near our house when we were little, and we all would eat them... A LOT of them, so if they were poisonous we would have figured that out pretty quickly...

The trandescantia (widow's tears) is a pretty tough plant. Good luck trying to yank those out, LOL... when i first moved here i tried to get rid of some... they merely mocked me. I have long since given up since I decided I like the way they open in the morning and close up at dusk.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #17
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Found two more I don't what they are:
I dont know about those red berries, but the flowers on the left look like pink honeysuckle. We had white ones in the same field as the blackberries and we would sip the nectar out of them. Now that I think of it, we were always eating things that grew wild in that field and it's somewhat amazing we didn't get sick, LOL. We also had these things we consider weeds but they were this tall stalk with indigo berries that were poisonous - thankfully we knew not to try those. But we would mash up the berries in water and "dye" our pants and shirts... that was a day everyone got spanked with the wooden spoon, LOL
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #18
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
John, the recent post with yellow flowers looks like some type of honeysuckle. The one next to it looks like Heavently Bamboo, which is not a bamboo at all. Nandinia I think is the actual name. Dont know about the blackberrys there are a lot of diffenent kinds. Hope you like them they are hard to kill......
Thanks Sun City Linda. LOL the blackberries I think I could pick about 2 gal now and they are still ripping up more berries. I like blackberry cobbler (made with a more pasty dough stripes instead of what i call biscuits) and make a smoothie with adding some milk and ice cream.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #19
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I think those are just called wild blackberries, but someone please correct me if I am wrong. And I am pretty sure you can eat them, because we had them growing all over a field near our house when we were little, and we all would eat them... A LOT of them, so if they were poisonous we would have figured that out pretty quickly...

The trandescantia (widow's tears) is a pretty tough plant. Good luck trying to yank those out, LOL... when i first moved here i tried to get rid of some... they merely mocked me. I have long since given up since I decided I like the way they open in the morning and close up at dusk.
The trandescantia is trying to take over the back yard.
When we where little we would stop when visiting relatives and friends when they where growing and pick them- Mom made them into cobbler's.
Old April 19, 2012   #20
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
I dont know about those red berries, but the flowers on the left look like pink honeysuckle. We had white ones in the same field as the blackberries and we would sip the nectar out of them. Now that I think of it, we were always eating things that grew wild in that field and it's somewhat amazing we didn't get sick, LOL. We also had these things we consider weeds but they were this tall stalk with indigo berries that were poisonous - thankfully we knew not to try those. But we would mash up the berries in water and "dye" our pants and shirts... that was a day everyone got spanked with the wooden spoon, LOL
LOL I guess you didn't forget that spoon.
LOL things we did when we where kids. I remember we used to chew on this grass that was bitter sweet.

Well the honeysuckle(s) and blackberries seem to be fighting over who gets most of the fence to climb on.
Old April 19, 2012   #21
Rainette
Tomatovillian™

For the picture of the post n° 12 I think at a Philadelphus Coronarius (= Seringat)
Rainette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #22
Rainette
Tomatovillian™

And for the post n° 13
Lonicera periclymenum and Nandina domestiqua
if I do not make mistakes, of course
Rainette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #23
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainette View Post
For the picture of the post n° 12 I think at a Philadelphus Coronarius (= Seringat)
Thanks Rainette - that does look like what is growing in the yard.