Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 26, 2009   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default Turning the compost

Today, I spent about an hour turning the compost and sorting out the ready from the not ready. Now I have one section of my compost area empty to start a new batch.

The finished compost is ready to spread on the tomato patch

A nice bowl of tomato soup for my lunch made with the last of the maters. Goodbye delicious friends
Old September 26, 2009   #2
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Great looking compost set up Barbee. And great looking bowl of soup - would you share the recipe? Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2009   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Oh gosh I'll try
I never use a recipe but what I did was cut up and squeeze out the water from about 10 big tomatoes (all colors) then threw them in a foil pan with a couple of sweet peppers, some onion powder or onions, garlic powder, dried oregano, and dried basil. **Drizzle it all with olive oil to coat everything.** Roasted it at 450 for about 2 hours, pick out the hunks of peppers/onions and then run the rest thru the mill.

Throw a half stick of butter in a big pot, add your tomato yummy, a scant teaspoon of baking soda, some milk.....um....about a quart or till it fills the pot up about 1/2 full, then heat that up on medium until it's nice and hot but not boiling. Mix up about a cup of milk and 3 heaping tablespoons of corn starch. Shake well or stir to mix. Pour that into the hot soup and stir until it thickens to your liking. If it gets too thick, add more milk to thin it out. We like it thick. Once it's as thick as you want, pour in a half jar to a jar of cheez whiz and let it melt. Salt and pepper to taste.

Now if you really want to make it extra sinful and good, increase the butter to a whole stick. replace that first quart of milk with half and half and pour in a small carton of whipping cream. Melts in your mouth!

Last edited by Barbee; September 27, 2009 at 07:07 AM. Reason: adding the drizzle!
Barbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2009   #4
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

wow Barbee that sounds great. Think I will give it a try although not a lot of tommies left to play with! Tore out another two plants this afternoon. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Piegirl, I edited my post to say that I drizzled the tomatoes/peppers, onions with olive oil before roasting. LoL, that's sort of an important thing I left out
And if you don't have enough tomatoes, you could probably sub some canned tomato sauce or canned tomatoes for the rest of the maters?
Old October 1, 2009   #6
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

ouch. sounds good and evil!
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote