Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2008   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Marlowe Charleston

I received seeds from my friend Maria in Ky for Marlowe Charleston. I asked her for info and she told me it was a Chuck Wyatt tomato but that was all she really knew.
Any history on this one?
Hope this doesn't get buried under the SSE thread.
Old February 7, 2008   #2
Tomatovator
Tomatovillian™

Here is the description from Chuck Wyatt's site.:

Marlow Charleston- Indet. Pink- med-large tending toward acidity with a mild finish.
Tomatovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #3
tomatoaddict

I can't seem to find the history of it's origin.
Old February 7, 2008   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I must be going nuts b'c this AM I gave the history of Marlowe Charlston.

Terry, did you post this question elsewhere?

Whatever, its not a Chuck Wyatt tomato although he listed it at his site as did some others.

It was introduced in the 1995 or 1996 Yearbook, and since I don't know where on the floor to the left my 95 one is. but have the 96 with the original description, lets go from there.

It was first posted by a woman from Ohio who said it had been grown for 50 years in her husband's family, first in the Charleston area and then for 30 years in Ohio. She said in 1992 she was the only grower, and said, from Phyllis Marlowe. ( I assume seeds from)

So Chuck and any other SSE member could have gotten their seeds from this initial listing or from someone else who got those seeds from the initial listing.

There are three persons listing it in the 2007 SSE Yearbook, Glenn Drowns who lists it at his Sandhill Preservation website as well, Marianne Jones, who probably does the same but I didn't check her website, and Neil Lockhart as well/

All say pretty much the same thing; about 80 days, indet, PL, fruits from 1-2 pounds.
Old February 7, 2008   #5
tomatoaddict

No, I bet it was Marie that posted this question on Gardenweb. I had emailed her and asked her about the history because she sent me the seeds. She didn't know either so probably posted the question. LOL.
Old February 7, 2008   #6
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I must be going nuts b'c this AM I gave the history of Marlowe Charlston.
... I know the feeling ... Thanks for bringing a smile to my face as I'm off to the drudgery of the auto factory ...
Old February 7, 2008   #7
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I was the one that posted on Garden Web. At least now we know! Thanks Carolyn. I thought it was purple because it's so dark. Now I'll have to grow it this year to see it again!
mariabee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2008   #8
tomatoaddict

Hi Maria
I told you Carolyn would probably know. LOL.
For those of you that don't know Maria, she has the best seeds in the world for KY heirlooms. She is great.
Old February 8, 2008   #9
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

Terry, thanks for the plug! My all consuming passion is collecting Kentucky heirlooms. The ones that turn out well for me I put on ebay. I don't know if it's allowed here, but my site is www.blueribbontomatoes.com. If it's not allowed, sorry about that. I would love to hear from anyone with Kentucky heirlooms to trade or sell that I don't already have. Maria
Old February 8, 2008   #10
tomatoaddict

It's okay Maria. They actually have a topic that is just for seed sources.
I can vouch for your tomatoes. I grew your Black Mountain Pink and Church last year. The Church was the biggest tomato in my garden and the BMP was excellent.
This year I am growing your Marlowe Charleston, Grandma Viney's yellow and pink, Viva Lindsey's white Ky Heirloom and Franks Big Red. I will take lots of pics and post them.
Maria is also friends with VGary whom we all know loves Ky heirlooms.
Yes, this is an endorsement of her seeds. They are pure and excellent.
Old February 8, 2008   #11
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

When I click on the above link, it sends me to an ebay store. Is that correct?
Cute selection by the way.

Thanks

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #12
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

WOW Terry, that's quite an endorsement! I sure appreciate that, and I CAN'T WAIT to get the seeds in soil, especially the Purple Dog Creek from you! I guess we're all Jonesing for the growing season to start. Yes Greg, www.blueribbontomatoes.com will take you to my ebay store. I starting selling tomato seeds on ebay in 2001, and it just gets bigger and better every year (like my garden!) Once I discovered the Ky tomatoes, there was no stopping me. Is it just me, or are they really better varieties?
Old February 8, 2008   #13
tomatoaddict

Hmmmm, let me see. Ohio heirlooms are pretty good. LOL.
Yes Greg, her store is on ebay. I know there are some people here that are leery of ebay sellers. Not knowing their seed saving practices or reputations. But I can tell you that Maria is an exception. She practices proper spacing for seed saving and her seeds are pure. I know from growing them.
Saying that, you can feel good about ordering from her.
Old February 8, 2008   #14
mariabee63
Tomatovillian™

Wellll... ordinarily I would not buy tomato seeds on ebay because all I've seen are common varieties. I did buy one variety the seller called Monkey A** as it was supposed to be a novelty. I got 0% germination and when I wrote the seller, he said it wasn't meant to be planted at all, it was just a novelty! Also he knew I'd be trouble because of my id (blueribbontomatoes)! There are also some big seed people on ebay like Fedco and I'm sure their seed is okay, but too common for my taste. As a small grower, there aren't a lot of options for me. My DREAM is to grow seeds! So where else can I sell them? I have an ad in this (and last month's) Mother Earth News, but that's expensive and I only paid for that by selling homesteading books. Now that my husband is disabled, we are earning most of our income from ebay (sadly, not from seeds!) so I don't want anyone to think I'm badmouthing ebay at all. It has saved our bacon! It has been so gratifying to me when some of my customers, like Terry, come back the next year looking for more seeds. I know I must be doing something right -- following my bliss!
Old February 8, 2008   #15
tomatoaddict

Speak of the devil Maria. I too have ordered the MA seeds. I grew them last year. I am posting a pic of one of them. If nothing else, a lot of us had a good laugh over them. They actually didn't taste that bad. I think the problem that comes in with MA for people is that no one knows if it is a renamed variety or not.