Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 29, 2016   #1
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Default Best way to store dry goods long term?

Okay I have seen photos and heard of people somehow canning dry goods like flour. I understand the logic so you don't get those annoying little bugs in your flour, corn meal, rice etc. but canning that stuff? How would you even can flour? Does it really work to keep it fresh? Why would you want to do that?
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You bet it works and the reasons are many.
One is you can buy in bulk for a lot less money.
Two, collapse of society.

As crazy as it may seem many of us have our heads in the sand.
We are only days or less away from starvation.
For many if not most people in the US it is only hours.
Think about all of the folks that eat out every day and cant cook.
They are screwed if an economic collapse happens or some natural event takes place.

If something like this happens you better be able to bring something to the table.
Not just food but skills.
Old school skills not computer programmer.

People laugh at the Latter Day Saints but the last laugh will be on the people that laughed at them.
Everyone needs a years worth of food that can be stored without electricity and guns to protect it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #3
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I use canning jars to store dry goods. After placing the dry goods in the jar place a canning lid and then a sealer attachment https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03.../dp/B00005TN7H

Then draw out the air with a vacuum pump https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FSF...er+vacuum+pump
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #4
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
Then draw out the air with a vacuum pump https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FSF...er+vacuum+pump
OMG They work with those? I have one of those!!! I had seen those caps before but thought you had to have one of those pricey food saver things. BRB off to place an order

Edit to add: Ordered! Will be here on the 4th!

Last edited by Spike2; October 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old October 29, 2016   #5
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If something like this happens you better be able to bring something to the table.
Worth
I agree with you!! I am trying to learn what I don't know how to do. We are far enough away from stores that if the roads are bad in the winter we are pretty well locked in so I make sure we are covered. I don't take it to a larger scale but I try to make sure we have enough to last at least a month or two (including dog food!)
Old October 29, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike2 View Post
I agree with you!! I am trying to learn what I don't know how to do. We are far enough away from stores that if the roads are bad in the winter we are pretty well locked in so I make sure we are covered. I don't take it to a larger scale but I try to make sure we have enough to last at least a month or two (including dog food!)

The one description was an extreme.
But my friend in Colorado experienced it back when they had the flooding.
He said the people in the stores turned into animals

My eyes were opened during the economic collapse back a few years ago.
Store shelves it seemed became empty overnight.
We are literally at the mercy of banks and wall street.
It changed the way business is ran forever.

You want it your going to have to get it on line not the store.
This includes certain groceries that my store used to have.
Now you have to order it on line.

As far as the jar sealer I can use a vacuum port on my motorcycle and get a much better vacuum.

I also have a hand held vacuum pump for automobile testing.
I just need the part that fits over the jar.

Worth
Old October 29, 2016   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I actually have one of those attachments and a vacuum sealer, but I keep forgetting about it!

Those of us in Massachusetts who lived through the Blizzard of '78 learned our lesson well about keeping a stocked pantry. The later generations still make the last minute mad dash for the grocery store every time they predict a bad winter storm.

We're pretty set as far as food goes, so instead we focus on filling up all our vehicles, gas cans, and portable propane tanks. Then we move on to doing all the laundry and jamming as many containers full of water as we can fit into the basement freezer to make ice blocks in case the power goes out for any length of time.

My biggest issue right now is that I need a new kitchen stove and apparently most (all?) the newer models have a safety feature that won't allow gas to flow if there's no power to the igniters. We do have a couple of compact camping stoves we could use in a pinch, but being able to still use your range top is much easier.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2016   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I actually have one of those attachments and a vacuum sealer, but I keep forgetting about it!

Those of us in Massachusetts who lived through the Blizzard of '78 learned our lesson well about keeping a stocked pantry. The later generations still make the last minute mad dash for the grocery store every time they predict a bad winter storm.

We're pretty set as far as food goes, so instead we focus on filling up all our vehicles, gas cans, and portable propane tanks. Then we move on to doing all the laundry and jamming as many containers full of water as we can fit into the basement freezer to make ice blocks in case the power goes out for any length of time.

My biggest issue right now is that I need a new kitchen stove and apparently most (all?) the newer models have a safety feature that won't allow gas to flow if there's no power to the igniters. We do have a couple of compact camping stoves we could use in a pinch, but being able to still use your range top is much easier.
My new cook top does not have that safety feature and can be lit with a match.
Old October 29, 2016   #9
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have always noticed when travelling that some cultures(tropicals)use rice as a dehumidifier in their flours,sugars,salt,herb powders etc.Sometimes I have seen the cheesecloth satchels in with the containers.Down here outside bars,cafes keep grains of rice in their salt/pepper shakers.
Old November 7, 2016   #10
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
I use canning jars to store dry goods. After placing the dry goods in the jar place a canning lid and then a sealer attachment https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03.../dp/B00005TN7H

My order for these arrived and I found a great deal on flour and sugar and decided to try it out. I had a blast and am set for winter now. Thank you for showing me these!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20161107_145403.jpg (69.6 KB, 59 views)
Old November 10, 2016   #11
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Looks good! Be careful when you open the flour because the inrush of air will stir it up and it will get on the counter. Best to open over the sink. I use the handle of a spoon to open. Find the spot where the thread of the jar is near the cap and pry it up.

When the rubber seal on the sealing attachment gets a little old it may not slip on and off well. I use a little water to lubricate it. Some kind of oil may work well but I don't know what would be best...olive oil??
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2016   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

To whom it may concern.

I have been on the food saver sight and have looked until I am blue in the face as to what kind of rubber this contraption has for a gasket and cant find anything.

I just got off the phone with them and after research they dont know what kind of rubber it is.
Why is this important.
You have to know what kind of rubber it is before you can use any type of oil or lubricant on them or it will ruin them.

This is the normal way it works, if it is silicon based you dont want to use a silicon based lubricant.
If it is oil based you may or may not get away with some types of oils.
The same goes for latex based rubber.
They are supposed to email me back to tell me what kind of rubber it is.
We shall see.

Next on line it says they ARE dishwasher safe.
In the instruction manual on line it says they are NOT dishwasher safe.
I brought this up and they were flabbergasted.
She said to be safe follow the instruction manual and not put them in the dishwasher.

If they aren't dish washer safe then that would lend me to believe they aren't silicon based and a silicon based lubricant can be used on them such as a water based personal lubricant.

So for right now I would hold off on the Olive oil and if I were to use a carbon based oil it would be mineral oil.

Yes all vegetable and animal oils are carbon based.