Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old April 20, 2010   #61
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Just a preview of things to come......
Old April 20, 2010   #62
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Gary, the other party is planning on going to the nursery.

Earl,

I was just wondering about different options. The get togethers sound like a good opportunity to build up a collection for people just getting started. Also, you will have people who start many more plants than they need (I plant 4-5 seeds for every two plants I need), and people who can't start any at all (lack space or have a major disaster). One to one trades are cost free, but giving away plants is going to cost someone for the pot and mix. I'm sure many people are like me and have more seeds than they will ever use (even from saving seed from a single fruit sometimes), and would like to help people out but giving them away costs money for the little envelopes etc.

CHOPTAG could set low prices (gentleman's agreement) (e.g $0.50 per plant or seed envelope etc) to keep away people looking to make money, and/or take a cut to help out with rent on the location.

Orchid societies generally have a sales table at every monthly meeting where people can bring in their extra plants and stick a price tag on them. Generally 10%-20% goes to the society. The also have a raffle for donated plants.

Last edited by TZ-OH6; April 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old April 21, 2010   #63
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Hey all ya buckeyes
Looks like I am moving to Chillicothe early summer - leaving the concrete of Calif for good!!! Was either here or Montana and Ohio won.
See ya soon
Dennis
Old April 21, 2010   #64
kterlep
Tomatovillian™

if you like antiques, don't bring any furniture--there's awesome antique hunting to be had in that area...
Old April 24, 2010   #65
pete
Tomatovillian™

Barbee, your plants look great, they are huge!!!!

My plants are small still. Have not been posting much lately,

Pete
Old April 26, 2010   #66
pete
Tomatovillian™

My green doctors and dr. carolyn seeds did not germinate, I only would like 1 plant of each, do any of the persons attending the picnic plant swap have any of these to spare???

Pete
Old April 26, 2010   #67
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Pete,
You're just in the nic of time, I've got one left of each. They're a little bit scrawny, but should kick up their heels once potted-up and the weather warms. I'll put your name on them.
Old April 27, 2010   #68
pete
Tomatovillian™

thanks Earl,
Any thing you looking for??? I have a few extra cowlicks, amazon chocolate, sun gold and many others!!!

Pete
Old May 3, 2010   #69
papher51
Tomatovillian™

I can't cook and don't have any plants. (yet). Can I bring soft-drinks or white-castles?
Old May 4, 2010   #70
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

those are gorgeous Barbee!
I hope to catch you all at the tasting- have a great swap!
Old May 4, 2010   #71
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Thank goodness the swap is Saturday. Woo, these plants are getting big. I started them 6 weeks ago but this new greenhouse is messing my time frame all up. Must be all the goose poo in the pond water LoL

Anyway, Amy, my BCW's are sad little things. I'll bring you one, but hopefully someone else will have a nicer plant for you to choose from. The BTD-Pinks are rocking though

Papher, I don't have a problem with you bringing soft drinks. That's something I always forget to pack and would love to trade a couple of plants for a soft drink.

I'm planning to bring maters and peppers...and I'm not bringing them back home with me!
Old May 4, 2010   #72
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm not bringing them back home with me!

Papher,
I've never heard of any from Kentucky who couldn't cook? :-) I've got a dwarf plant called Mano with your name on it that I'll swap for a Snapple Iced Tea.
Old May 4, 2010   #73
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I believe we voted last year that the president has to take all the orphans home with him. Yes, I'm sure that's how it went down.
I have a plant here that begged me to let it go home with you Earl. Since I can't stand to see a sad tomato plant, I went ahead and wrote Earl C. right on the tag. I'm nice like that.
Old May 4, 2010   #74
pete
Tomatovillian™

papher51, what kind of plants did you want?? I have supplus of many, and I will have some freebies for you.

Snapple is good.

Getting that pork shoulder and brisket ready for sat.!!!!

Pete
Old May 4, 2010   #75
rldaye
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant Italian Paste

Does anyone have , Giant Italian Paste plant , that will be at the get together, Sat/8/2010? Would like 4 plants. Ron From near Marathon,Oh.