Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2017   #1
hunter16
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SE Mich Z5
Posts: 3
Default Kellogg's Breakfast Tomato

I'm growing about a dozen plants plus two volunteers. One which I am growing fond of is the Kellogg's Breakfast Tomato which its size and taste are the main attributes. On the downside it has problems with blossom end rot. Of five fruit that I have picked, four have had rot. Three of those were half gone so I pitched them, the fourth, a large one, I was able to salvage most of it. The rest of the plants don't seem to have this issue. Anybody else having this issue?
hunter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,483
Default

My problem with it is a lack of production in the hot south west.
So much so I will never grow it again.
I never have BER problems on any plant.
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™
 
PaulF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brownville, Ne
Posts: 2,623
Default

KB has been one of our favorites for many years. It has not had a BER problem either in central Iowa or SE Nebraska.
__________________
there's two things money can't buy; true love and home grown tomatoes.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter16 View Post
I'm growing about a dozen plants plus two volunteers. One which I am growing fond of is the Kellogg's Breakfast Tomato which its size and taste are the main attributes. On the downside it has problems with blossom end rot. Of five fruit that I have picked, four have had rot. Three of those were half gone so I pitched them, the fourth, a large one, I was able to salvage most of it. The rest of the plants don't seem to have this issue. Anybody else having this issue?
I've grown KB many times here in upstate NY,about zone 5 as well as KBX the PL version, and have never had a problem with either one that I can remember.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...%27s_Breakfast

You can see that many got it from me in the above link, I got it from Bill Minkey and he's the one who got it from Darrel Kellogg himself.

Carolyn, who is NOT saying it can't happen, every season is different as to weather and all the variables that play a part in determining if BER will appear.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bastrop Texas Lost Pines Forest.
Posts: 31,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I've grown KB many times here in upstate NY,about zone 5 as well as KBX the PL version, and have never had a problem with either one that I can remember.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...%27s_Breakfast

You can see that many got it from me in the above link, I got it from Bill Minkey and he's the one who got it from Darrel Kellogg himself.

Carolyn, who is NOT saying it can't happen, every season is different as to weather and all the variables that play a part in determining if BER will appear.
I have to ask is he any kin to the corn flake Kellogg of Michigan?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg
__________________
Home of Cactus Flats Botanical Gardens.
The dinner table is where we need to get acquainted not the battlefield.
I Seek The Truth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™
 
PaulF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brownville, Ne
Posts: 2,623
Default

The first year for KB in my gardens was in 2000. I have no record where it came to me from. I did receive KBX from Martha Hufford and did list it in SSE when I was part of that organization. That year I received a phone call from some guy named Darrell Kellogg who wanted to know if I would send him some KBX seeds so he could see "what all the fuss was about."

During the conversation he called himself "the other Michigan Kellogg." I really don't know for sure if he was joking or making a statement that he was related, but got from that one relatively short conversation that he had a very good sense of humor and would have been a person I would liked very much to have known better.

I always wanted to see what his thoughts were on the difference between KB and KBX, but never heard another word. I still grow either or both every year. Thank you Martha and Carolyn for making that contact possible...a highlight in my tomato growing life.
__________________
there's two things money can't buy; true love and home grown tomatoes.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2017   #7
pjhootch
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 16
Default

I have two plants in huge container planters. They are about 7 ft tall and fairly healthy. However- production has been very low so far and one plant has BER on about 50% of the fruit. The healthy fruit are wonderful. We have had a tough season for tomatoes in eastern Iowa this year so I don't know if the plant is consistently sommuch work for so few good fruit.
pjhootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #8
SueCT
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 485
Default

KB is a giant plant and would be difficult to grow in a container. They tend to dry out, get watered well, dry out again, etc. That could be the reason for the BER. When I grow/grew in containers, I had more BER in the largest plants with the largest tomatoes, something I almost never have a problem with in my garden, which has a lot of compost and retains a lot of moisture, so rarely gets dry enough to require watering.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2017   #9
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Marcos, CA
Posts: 329
Default

I love KB and it is my favorite for Watermelon, Cucumber and Tomato salad. It looks terrific with the red watermelon, green cucumber and orange tomato. The watermelon is sweet, the cucumber crunchy and the tomato has tang. Add a bit of mint and some feta cheese. To die for.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2017   #10
pjhootch
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
KB is a giant plant and would be difficult to grow in a container. They tend to dry out, get watered well, dry out again, etc. That could be the reason for the BER. When I grow/grew in containers, I had more BER in the largest plants with the largest tomatoes, something I almost never have a problem with in my garden, which has a lot of compost and retains a lot of moisture, so rarely gets dry enough to require watering.
I suspect you are right about the watering problem. My containers are pretty big home made planters, probably 20-25 gallons. But the one that struggled with BER for a month did wind up with a renegade hot pepper in the pot. I let it go- and i should have pulled it out.

Things have evening out right now and a handful of nice looking fruit is trickling in.
pjhootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™
 
amideutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany 49°26"N 07°36"E
Posts: 4,949
Default

Been growing KBX since 07, seed from Martha Hufford aka Garden Mama. Mainly grown in containers and never had a problem with BER. Container size's were from 3gal up to 7gal.

Ami
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting ‘...Holy Crap .....What a ride!'
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Been growing KBX since 07, seed from Martha Hufford aka Garden Mama. Mainly grown in containers and never had a problem with BER. Container size's were from 3gal up to 7gal.

Ami
Agree Ami, my seeds also from Martha, grown inground several times for SSE listings and seed offers, and never any BER, ever.I think I mentioned this in one of the earlier posts.

I was curious to see who did what and when, so fetched Tania'spage forit.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/KBX#tab=General_Info

Where it mentions Germany, Ami, that's you I'm sure.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™
 
amideutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Germany 49°26"N 07°36"E
Posts: 4,949
Default

Quote:
Where it mentions Germany, Ami, that's you I'm sure.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out, shouting ‘...Holy Crap .....What a ride!'
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #14
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™
 
beefyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pt. Charlotte fl
Posts: 322
Default

The heat makes a big difference with BER! In Illinois, I could grow any tomato without ever getting BER. Hell, back then I did not even know what it was, since I never saw it. In Florida, the rules are different and you have to really think and plan accordingly. I always lose some to BER here, wish I could say otherwise.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2017   #15
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™
 
beefyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pt. Charlotte fl
Posts: 322
Default

Coupled by disease pressure so you grow in earth boxes or containers which adds to the problem.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★