Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2017   #31
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I won't likely request anything this year, but would like to send some in.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #32
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Where can I find the rules? Do the seeds I donate have to be saved, or can I send commercial seed I no longer want?
This is a link to links from last year...

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=170

There will be some minor changes, like postage has gone up slightly, there's a new part of the swap (the Nifty Fifty), etc...
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #33
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I have a ton of seeds I just want to purge - varieties I know I'll never grow. Can I just donate them to the swap for you folks?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #34
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My mailing address is in post #1. If you're looking for any specific varieties (not just tomatoes), let me know.
Old August 8, 2017   #35
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The link to the 2017 master Wish List (google/doc) is posted in the Wanted Forum.

I left some tomato varieties from last year, deleted all peppers, left all legumes, and deleted all participants' usernames.
Old August 8, 2017   #36
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
My mailing address is in post #1. If you're looking for any specific varieties (not just tomatoes), let me know.
Thanks, I'm not really. I have a "wishlist" of five tomatoes I may eventually want to try, but probably not for a few seasons. I have way too many seeds.

Can I send you some coin envelopes too?
Old August 8, 2017   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Thanks, I'm not really. I have a "wishlist" of five tomatoes I may eventually want to try, but probably not for a few seasons. I have way too many seeds.

Can I send you some coin envelopes too?

You can send coin envelopes.

I know you have some varieties you eventually would like to try. But...I don't know how many times I've heard people say that. And when it finally comes time to try them...they can't locate those seeds, anywhere.
Old August 8, 2017   #38
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Ok, just trying to clarify because I read through the links you've provided. In order to receive seeds one would need to send in a category of 10 envelops of 5-10 seeds, BUT if this is not possible I can send in a mixture of seed packs (say 2-3 varieties) and still receive seeds?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sure you get questions like this all the time. I'm just trying to understand the process.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2017   #39
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTomat0 View Post
Ok, just trying to clarify because I read through the links you've provided. In order to receive seeds one would need to send in a category of 10 envelops of 5-10 seeds, BUT if this is not possible I can send in a mixture of seed packs (say 2-3 varieties) and still receive seeds?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm sure you get questions like this all the time. I'm just trying to understand the process.

To receive seeds you just need to send a bubble mailer, legible return address, and return postage. If you want to make it slightly more complicated, you include a wish list (of ~20 varieties), too. No mystery there.

If you don't have enough seeds for the "categories" (the mystery part), there are sponsors that may help.
Old August 8, 2017   #40
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You can send coin envelopes.

I know you have some varieties you eventually would like to try. But...I don't know how many times I've heard people say that. And when it finally comes time to try them...they can't locate those seeds, anywhere.
I'm so anal, I have a spreadsheet, and they're all alpha in the same order. I'm good. It will take years to get through what I've got. Happy to send some stuff in. Hope it's useful!
Old August 8, 2017   #41
TexasTomat0
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
To receive seeds you just need to send a bubble mailer, legible return address, and return postage. If you want to make it slightly more complicated, you include a wish list (of ~20 varieties), too. No mystery there.

If you don't have enough seeds for the "categories" (the mystery part), there are sponsors that may help.
Thank you for the clear concise explanation. I guess all the different threads made me think it was more complicated than that. Thank again for for all your efforts.
TexasTomat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #42
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's only as complicated as each participant wants it to be for them.

Start with what you'd like sent back to you, such as specific varieties, mystery varieties (within a specific "type"), and how many total varieties. The average participant usually gets about 100 different tomato varieties back, unless they specify less (rare), or more (imp).

And, peppers, beans, veggies, fruit, and flower seed is a smaller part of the swap. These are much harder to meet requests, so I post a list of what comes in (sometime in November) and participants chose from that list.
Old August 9, 2017   #43
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking for someone to navigate the nightmare of the USPS site to verify domestic postage rates.

To me, it looks like $2.67 for parcels (bubble mailers) up to 4 ounces, $2.85 up to 5 ounces, an additional .18 for each additional ounce, with a maximum of 13 ounces at $4.29.

I'll work on Canadian and other foreign postage at a later time.
Old August 9, 2017   #44
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I went to the calculator and selected a Georgia and Massachusetts zip codes, 6 ounces and:
- large envelope that contains items that cause more than 1/4 inch variation in thickness

- large envelope that is Rigid - does not bend easily.

Both came back as $3.03 which matches what you came up with.

If mailed today, Wednesday, August 9, the expected delivery date is Sat, Aug 12.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2017   #45
imp
Tomatovillian™

*Thinking of just sending a priority box!*
imp is offline   Reply With Quote