Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 1, 2017   #16
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Not seeing any more lows into the 30's forecasted here after tomorrow morning (and our hyacinth has bloomed). I figure to put the roof panels back on the HFGH tonight, then plant out at least 70% Fri, Sat, Sun.
I do have some row cover just in case

Last edited by decherdt; March 1, 2017 at 10:31 AM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #17
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

I convinced myself it was time to plant on Sunday, held back one of each variety for back ups and so far I am sleeping easy. Each day early is an extra day of production before the heat shuts me down in July. We can't eat all of those fresh tomatoes in just two weeks, but I can put up a lot of jars of canned tomatoes from a couple of extra weeks of production.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #18
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Cheryl-I am in SA also, 78257, planted yesterday. My plants were huge also.
Old March 2, 2017   #19
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

Way to go. I am 78260. I am planting the rest hopefully this weekend. The ones already planted are growing well. They all pulled through the 40 degree nights okay. And I have fruit set on several. I will do the peppers next week just to make sure. Unfortunately, several of my peppers have fruit on them also. I know you pinch them off but I didn't do it. Hopefully that wont effect growth later on.
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2017   #20
Keger
Tomatovillian™

South of Houston here......... I'll plant Okra and cukes in a few weeks..... no hurry. The sun has to be in the right place and the lengths of the days in sinc...... no reason to try and fool nature.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2017   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I can see it now.
Late winter storm warning hard freeze into the mid twenties bring in pets protect plants.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Over here ( Southeast NC) we had frost last 3 nights back to back. Tonight's low is forecast @ 37F. Thereafter, until March 20th, lows will be 43F ++ and highs in 62 to 75F range. Time to plant out maters on Monday. Too much itching. Enough is enough !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The seeds I started January 8 have turned into large plants. Some are lanky and others bushy. I don't have the room or lights to pot up to larger containers, so they're going to have to be planted in ground no matter what the weather does. I will not plant tomato seeds that early again.

The seeds I planted later in January are producing tomato plants the size they should be in early March. Going by what I have read locally, tomatoes need to be started the first week of February. I am seeing why.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #24
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

That's when I started mine - dwarves! - and they're already bursting out from under the lights. I'll pot them up when I feel up to it and move out into the sun (so long as it lasts). Hasn't been a freeze here maybe once this year?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #25
weaselbean
Tomatovillian™

Ill wait till night temps are steady 50 or more. I'm in piedmont nc and that's usually 3rd or 4th week in April. A few weeks too early aren't going to buy you much. “A tomato never wants to go below fifty degrees in its life.”

Last edited by weaselbean; March 5, 2017 at 03:38 PM.
weaselbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #26
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

According to our 15 days forecast 13 out of 15 days the lows will be in 45 to 58F range and highs will be in 66 to 79F range. I thinks that is fine for tomatoes. I will hold on to peppers and eggplants until lows are consistently 50F and higher. Then I will also get okra and beans going.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 5, 2017   #27
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Peppers don't seem to care much about chilly lows. (up to a point) Certainly no more than toms.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2017   #28
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Peppers don't seem to care much about chilly lows. (up to a point) Certainly no more than toms.
Good to know. I have got the impression from pepper growers that they need much warmer soil and air temperatures than tomatoes.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 5, 2017   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Good to know. I have got the impression from pepper growers that they need much warmer soil and air temperatures than tomatoes.
They do to a point. Many pepper seeds will not germinate in soil less than 70 degrees. Some need the soil temperature to be closer to 90 degrees.

During growing season - Peppers and tomatoes are a lot alike in when it comes to soil temperature and air temperature. For the most part, both grow well in soil and air temperatures between 70 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

Later in the season - Tomato plants can withstand cold temperatures much better than pepper plants. While tomato plants don't really grow in temperatures in the 30s and 40s - they usually don't die either (If the plant is healthy). Pepper plants in temperature less than 50 degrees shut down growth - even if the plant is healthy. Then the focus of the plant is to get the peppers ripe.

It is believed that peppers were first domesticated around 6.000 years ago in what is now Mexico and probably south America. (Near the equator). They like growing best in tropical conditions without too much heat or any cold.

I'm sure there are many that will disagree with what I wrote above. My info comes from a lot of research and what I see every year growing in our gardens.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #30
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Robert.

Back to freeze / frost.

Since my last post the forecast has changed. Now we have lows AS LOW AS 28F by coming Wednesday. Then there will be 6 more nights with lows in 31 to 38F range.
I will make a short temporary hoop over my tomato pants and tuck them in pine straw. Gotta ride this one week rough waves.
Starting March 17th on thing should improve, with lows over 41F

On positive note, my cool crops are doing fine.

Happy Gardening !