Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2014   #1
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Default How big do these get for you?

Putting in some super late tomatoes...I'll just go ahead and lovingly call them Fall tomatoes. Figuring it's worth a shot...since I have the plants, and the space...and a long growing season. Anyway, I'm looking for any advice you can please give me with regard to growth habit and plant size of the following varieties. How big do these plants get? (Trying to figure out placement.) These that I need help with are of course 'new to me' varieties that I don't have experience with (I also have list of 'new to me' cherries if you're interested...but I already know most cherries get pretty wild in general). So even if it's just one of these that you've grown, any past experience would be much appreciated....

Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
Church
Costoluto Genovese
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
German Head
JD's Special C Tex
Kosovo
Mexico
Omar's Lebanese
Zogola

~Thanks in advance,
Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
2nd Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I grew JDs and it got to about 6ft here.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Costoluto Genovese stays fairly compact and is a stocky plant. For me it doesn't go much beyond the top of a 6' stake by the end of the season. Zogola will reach for the sky if you let it.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

Andrew Raharts, Kosovo, German Head, and Crnkovick will all grow at least 6 feet in a long season. I grow them in 5ft. Crw cages.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014   #5
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Costoluto Genovese stays fairly compact and is a stocky plant. For me it doesn't go much beyond the top of a 6' stake by the end of the season. Zogola will reach for the sky if you let it.
I had the exact opposite experience last year. Outside of my cherry plant, CG was quite unruly and large. It spilled over the top of my 5ft CRW cages and invaded the space of nearby plants.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2014   #6
Virtex
Tomatovillian™

Started Omar's Lebanese in March it is now 7+ feet tall with tons of fruit, make sure you stake it. Same thing with JD's Special C Tex, I expect 10+ feet by end of season, if I don't top them. Since you are planting now, you might reach 6-7 feet.

Good Luck
Virtex is offline   Reply With Quote