Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 30, 2012   #1
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Default 5/30/12 Garden Photos

I planted out about 12 days ago and couldn't be happier with the progress my plants are showing so far. Especially Winsall and Wes - they've really taken off!

My first attempt at starting from seed didn't go so hot, so I found a local nursery that started seeds for me and potted up to 5" pots for $2.99 each. I brought home plants that were about 12"-18" tall! Almost twice as large as I usually plant out from other local greenhouses.

The smaller plants (super sweet 100, red beacon, better boy) were ones they had for sale that were probably 2/3 the height of the ones they started for me.

Better Boy + Super Sweet 100

Wes x2

Winsall + Red Beacon f1

2 Mini Belle Peppers, Iditarod Red and Yukon Quest

Iditarod Red - the only seedling I grew that was worth planting out!

Wes, Super Sweet 100, Better Boy, Red Beacon f1

Wes again and my Cukes

Onions - in desperate need of weeding.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Everything is looking really good- thanks for sharing your pics!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Riceloft,

Looking great!!!

I would now recommend commencing spraying with Daconil, then alternating with Take Down Garden Spray if you see any bad critters. If you wait until the fungal or insect problem is very apparent - - then it is too late.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #4
pattiann
Tomatovillian™

Very nice! Love seeing all these gardens, thanks for sharing
Patti
pattiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #5
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Update, 6/14/12. I'm just shy of a month after plant-out and have fruit set on nearly every plant.

In pic 1 you can see Iditarod Red, Yukon Quest and my Mini Belle Peppers. Pic 2 had a shot of fruit set on Iditarod Red. Pic 3 is flowers and fruit on Yukon Quest.

Pic 4 shows an EarthTainer with Better Boy and Sweet 100 Cherry. Pic 5 is fruit on the cherry plant.

Pic 6 is an EarthTainer with 2 Wes plants. Pic 7 is a fruit cluster on one of the plants.

Pic 8 is an EarthTainer with a Winsall (which is winning the growth award so far this year, but has only set 2-3 fruit) plant and Red Beacon. Pic 9 is Red Beacon fruit set.

The plants I have in the ground are not doing quite as well as my EarthTainer plants. They've got about 3/4 the overall growth and about 1/2 the amount of fruit so far. They do get about 2 hours less sun, though. This is looking to be a very successful season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dwarfs.jpg (212.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Iditarod.jpg (123.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Yukon.jpg (82.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 1Tainer.jpg (256.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry.jpg (137.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2Tainer.jpg (264.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Wes.jpg (137.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 3Tainer.jpg (270.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Beacon.jpg (124.5 KB, 19 views)
Old June 14, 2012   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Riceloft,

They continue to look excellent!

Are you doing any preventative fungal spraying, or is this not necessary in your part of Ohio?

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #7
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Our weather has been surprisingly cool overall. Only a handful of days all year that you could call hot, and even fewer that were humid. I expect in the next couple of weeks the temps and humidity will be on the rise, however, I've never done any preventative spraying in previous seasons and have not had a problem. Due to an extremely wet spring last year, I lost some cucumber plants to fungus, but it never touched the tomatoes 2 feet away.

*knocks on wood*

I have some neem based stuff from last season that I used to save a couple of the cucs, so I'm prepared if it comes to that.