Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2010   #31
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tache, have you tried Gregori's Altai? Mine did very well setting fruit in the cool, wet, spring weather this year and it wasn't far behind Stupice in the quickness with which it produced fruit. The Gregori's Altai that I planted the same time as the Stupice put on a very big crop of tomatoes of good size. I've never seen a beefsteak make that early. This is my first year growing it and I was shocked at how early it made for a large beefsteak type.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2010   #32
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

This is my Bloody Butcher, looks like RL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0399.jpg (62.3 KB, 54 views)
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2010   #33
tache
Tomatovillian™

No, I've never tried Gregori's Atlai. I'm going to have to do a lot of repair and replacing so I'll see if I can find a seedling around here. Thanks for the tip.

I hope I'm not being too optmistic but I'm going to go head and hope that everything has not sunk into the ground by the end of the week. This how the people in Venice must feel. I know there are a few differences. Again thanks...Tache
tache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2010   #34
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Okay, so my single Stupice plant has 44 tomatoes on it now and I have picked two. The 1st one I picked looked like a Brandywine but half the size, all of the rest are round. Great taste with olive oil, buffalo cheese, and fresh herbs.
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #35
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

I grew stupice from tomato bob's this year for the first time. They seem to be RL not PL to my eye. Are some strains RL? They were a decent taster, very prolific, and one plant had all smaller lg cherry reds that were really sweet , different from the rest. Any thoughts?
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2011   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_j View Post
I grew stupice from tomato bob's this year for the first time. They seem to be RL not PL to my eye. Are some strains RL? They were a decent taster, very prolific, and one plant had all smaller lg cherry reds that were really sweet , different from the rest. Any thoughts?
True Stupice has PL foliage and I don't of anyone who has said otherwise.

Was it the one plant that had fruits different from the rest that had the RL foliage?

it's possible that the seeds you bought were already crossed to get RL plants and some plants that were different than other plants in terms of the fruits.

Have you looked at the pictures at Tania's and elsewhere to confirm that even what you got with the supposed RL Stupice plants were indeed true Stupice?

When a PL variety ends up being RL it usually means crossed seeds since RL is genetically dominant to PL, which is recessive.
Old September 19, 2011   #37
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default stupice pics

here are some pics. I have looked at other pics but still not sure. I tried to get some of the larger leaves in the pics. The plants are pretty far gone, and if it wasn't raining today I'd have all pulled and my winter cover planted. I have some Suddeth BW growing next to them and the largest leaves seem so much bigger and less lobed. All have these leaves, including the smaller cherry. I want to know for sure so I don't trade any of these as stupice if they are not. Thank you carolyn for helping a relative newbie to the world of heirlooms. I always enjoy reading your posts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pl stupice 001.jpg (381.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg pl stupice 002.jpg (445.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg pl stupice 003.jpg (448.4 KB, 38 views)
Old September 23, 2011   #38
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Kenny,

Here are some pics of my Stupice if it helps. I'm growing them as a Fall tomato, and it's about to graduate from it's 2 gallon pot to a SmartPot next to a west facing wall this weekend with all it's heirloom buddies that I hope will give me tomatoes until Thanksgiving.

Of all the types I started for the Fall the Stupice is definitely the most leggy of the crowd - it's the one on the right in the last pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1411.jpg (186.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1412.jpg (190.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1413.jpg (310.9 KB, 40 views)

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2011   #39
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Whats left of my memory tells me Stupice got its day in the sun after winning a taste testing by OG (Organic Gardening) in the middle nineties of early and very early tomato.

For what existed at the time, it was the pick of the litter.

It remains on my regular rotation because its grows on so well. On summers that are not utterly blisteringly hot (in NH), it was and is a proverbial energiser bunny, it just keeps on going and growing, and going...
Old September 25, 2011   #40
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Default stupice pics

Thanx for the replies. I have determined from looking now at many stupice leaf pictures that mine are not stupice, the leaves are regular. I thought I read somewhere that the Czechs, in the process of commercializing the stupice, actually had 4 different strains, one of which was mrovsky div, and that one may have been a RL type. Cant find that again so I may be wrong about all of it, I've read so much the last few months. What ever they are they are early, highly productive and quite good in the flavor dept. And one plant turned out to be a large red cherry type that is really sweet and good. Saved seed from both, Will grow again, just wish I knew what they are.