Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 2, 2006   #16
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Brad - great to have you here! I am going to try to squeeze as many of these in as I can, since they fill some really unique color niches (and will provide some great breeding starting points). Thanks for all of the work you put into those descriptions. Reinhard has some good pics as well at his site. It will be a fun growing season, that's for sure.
Old February 2, 2006   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Red Velvet- Originally from Garden Peach. One garden peach went red, all seeds from this where just like garden peach but sweeter and red, showed up in the catalog the next year so someone els had the same thing. A year later a large red fuzzy tomato showed up.
Flavor is o.k.

Brad, have you distributed seeds for this one as Red Velvet?

If so, we've got your Red Velvet, and also a Velvet Red, the one I've talked about in this thread that's in the SSE Public catalog, originally to me from Joe Bratka and fully OP.

If most of your variety names are associated with still not genetically stabilized crosses, what do you think is going to happen in the future as to possible name confusion?

I saw Big Yellow Zebra above, and TGS has Big Zebra, but not all yellow. So........?????

How I wish I could help dehybridize some of your crosses that interest me, but unfortunately that doesn't look possible right now.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2006   #18
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Brad, I like your tomatoes. I tasted Berkeley Tie Dye, and some of the *Boars* at the NORCATT event last summer. I was impressed by the flavor, as well as the stunning looks. I don't think I tasted Blonde Zebra/Boar-will have to check my notes...sounds good.

Mountaineer Mystery - Craig, if you have seeds of this, you were sent them, along with information, by doug (dunkel) (I don't see him on the member list;gotta email him). I started a plant last Oct. in a container, and it is about 3' tall now.

It is regular leaf and growing like crazy. There are from 3 to 7 tomatoes set on each branch. These are the huge blossoms I posted a pic of on GW. For such big blossoms, it appears to be very productive. The tomatoes look like they will be big - at least they appear big to begin with once the blossom drops off. I will defer to doug for information.

Corona~Barb
coronabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2006   #19
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Hi Craig! I think we know each other, but without seeing/chating

I have been offering for seed trades both Persey and Yasenichki Yabuchar during 2 years and both are still among my favorites as for productivity and taste.

Persey is very bushy and vigorous, Moldovian variety. Not so early but it is early for almost beefsteak variety, red, determinate, very good taste for long keeper, ideal for tomato juice and ketchup.

Yasenichki Yabuchar (Yasenicki Yabuchar in Serbian but with special "c" with "v" upper them) is from former Yugoslavia. BC_day already gave you describtion for it. I can add only that it has very good desease tolerance and a continious time of maturing.

I can send you my long list with describtions of many Russian/Ukrainian/Moldovian/Belarusian/Polish tomatoes.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2006   #20
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I'll be growing Persey again this year. It's a winner for me.

I also have Haley's Purple Comet and Piedmont I'm anxious to try. Has anyone (Brad?) grown Isis Brandy?
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2006   #21
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Rena's Turban, found a picture

http://www.irinas-tomaten.de/Tomaten...asenko/49.html
Old February 3, 2006   #22
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Rena's Turban is a very different looking tomato on Reinhard Kraft's site -

thanks, D!
Old February 4, 2006   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Barb,

What is Isis Brandy?

Did I miss it on someone's list somewhere?

Is it a stable OP from a directed or natural cross?

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2006   #24
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

I saw it on Reinhard's site and it looks adorable. I think it's one of Brad's babies. You know stress affects brain chemistry so the crazyglue that's supposed to be there that make's memories stick is sprayed with "acetone". I've had enough the past 5 weeks to last a couple years so all I can say is I think Manfred said "auf Kalifornien". Nicht stabile! Suss & saftig.

As long as he didn't say bessen bessen zweiss gewesen.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #25
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Goose Creek is well worth growing. Taste is probably what folks refer to as that good ol' time flavor. I planted it in a spot where something cut it off about 4-5 inches up stem and it had a hardtime recoving but it did and produced a limited number of fruit which I liked enough to want to grow it again. I didn't notice the two stages of taste/ripeness or what ever it was said about it.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #26
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

I sent you the Ledoux Special and Zluta Kytice. The former is a pink heart PL heirloom from Quebec. Very, very nice. Must grow? If you want a pink heart PL specifically, it is worth a try; if not,...

Zluta Kytice is a land race from the Czech Republic that came to Canada via Australia. Tiny nippled orange-gold fruits along the lines of Coyote and Mexico Midget, I expect. Compound inflorecence (sp? mindblank) Compact semi-determinate. A fave at local taste testings. Definitely worth a go in a pot.

Must grows are the Primrose Gage and Giant Oxheart. :wink:

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote