Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old February 23, 2011   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Micro Brew (MycoGrow / biotamax)

I used some Mycrogrow and some biota Max as recommended by Ray and Ami on my seedlings. Then I had a little left at the bottom of the gallon milk jug and my mind went to work. I thought Hmmm maybe I can get this stuff to multiply and see what happens.

So I added some fish fertilizer (to feed them with) , fulvic acid (contains trace minerals {humic acid or some compost would probably work as well})

Just a note you could also use molasses too.

OK, so added my recipe above into the gallon container then toped it off with some tap water that I had left out over night (this removes chlorine)

Then I just used a air pump and air stone like they use in aquariums.

Then I waited, got bored and went to bed. When I woke up there was this foamy microbe goodness oozing out the top of the gallon jug.

The foaming tells you that the bacteria and fungus are having a party and are reproducing.

Make note to use a container with extra space for the foam. Or just do not fill it as much.

Now after about 24 hours after you have seen the foam, you will get an added bonus in the mix called:

Protozoa - are pretty cool. See the bacteria and fungus reproduce like crazy in the highly oxygenated water and the protozoa eat them.

Ok, I know the ideal is to grow the microbes that benefit your plants so why is the protozoa eating them a good thing. The microbes are over populated at this point anyways and they are fat and happy little fertilizer sacks ready for harvest. So basically that is the protozoa's role they eat them and poop out an amazing fertilizer.

They also keep things in check in your soil as well as they do not just target the good bacteria they will also eat the bad ones too, So back to the brew

Ok, so now that you got your microbe and protozoa factory going just add some to your waterings, and keep some as a starter, adding the brew mix (fish fertilizer and occasionally the humic or fulvic acid) and you now have a ready source of good stuff for your plants.

I really do not think you can get more organic than that.
Old February 23, 2011   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to add this but you could also use this as a starter for the composting pile once things have warmed up outside a bit.
Old February 25, 2011   #3
dice
Tomatovillian™

That would be a good way to test a bacteria/mycorrhizae/etc
spore mix past the pull date to see if there are still live spores,
too.
Old February 25, 2011   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
That would be a good way to test a bacteria/mycorrhizae/etc
spore mix past the pull date to see if there are still live spores,
too.
Dice,

Would this test also work with Actinovate. There have been many concerns about the Expiration Date on the package, and I'm sure folks would like a test to see if it is still potent.

Kind of like mixing a bit of older baking yeast in sugar water to see if the yeast is still active.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2011   #5
dice
Tomatovillian™

I do not know if Actinovate will foam up the same way as
Stepheninky's Biotamax/Mycogrow mix, but you could test
it with a little fresh Actinovate first to see what that looks like.

Then you know what to look for from the expired packets if
there are still live spores in them.
Old February 26, 2011   #6
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Actinovate for Lawn & Garden contains a high concentration of a patented beneficial microorganism. When applied, the Actinovate microbe grows on the plant’s roots and leaves, living off the plant’s by-products while at the same time attacking harmful disease causing pathogens. this natural product effectively suppresses & controls a wide range of foliar and root diseases

Not sure to be honest as it does not mention if its a fungus or bacteria or both, and it does not list which one. Not really sure how it can be a natural product and at the same time be patented unless he is referring to the blend or formula such as Coke or Pepsi. If it requires a host such as a living plant meaning it is slightly parasitic in nature (this is mainly dealing with fungus) to multiply then no it would not work. If it is made up of several things then chances are it should at least in part be able to multiply.

So yea you would need to try it and see with a new batch as a reference.

The micro brew is not really a replacement for the products as the ratios will change, i am using it more to stretch out the product and to inter-duce the protozoa into the mix as I stated they turn the microorganisms they eat into plant goodness. They also help de-oder the stinking fish fert.

Last edited by Stepheninky; February 26, 2011 at 02:22 AM.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011   #7
dice
Tomatovillian™

Actinovate is a specific strain of streptomyces lydicus bacteria.
Old February 26, 2011   #8
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
Actinovate is a specific strain of streptomyces lydicus bacteria.
In that case then yes it should be able to reproduce and multiply in the micro brew to see if it is still good.
Old February 26, 2011   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepheninky View Post

The micro brew is not really a replacement for the products as the ratios will change, i am using it more to stretch out the product and to inter-duce the protozoa into the mix as I stated they turn the microorganisms they eat into plant goodness. They also help de-oder the stinking fish fert.
Stephen,

I think you are well on your way to now making a "mash" to brew up some Kentucky Bourbon..

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2011   #10
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Stephen,

I think you are well on your way to now making a "mash" to brew up some Kentucky Bourbon..

Raybo
Can't brew bourbon here, KY bourbon comes from Bourbon County KY, We just have moonshine here.
Old February 26, 2011   #11
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

You can use almost any recipe that you would to make compost Tea to do the micro brew as the principles behind it are the same.
Old March 8, 2011   #12
chuckbaugh
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, all the organisms do not grow at the same rate. The products are grown in the laboratory separately, then added together when packaged. This assures the benefit of each of the organisms. Each organism was chosen for very specific functions.

when you re-grow the product, you are growing the one organism, or two organisms that grow fastest. This completely changes the ratio of organisms, and the ratio of bacteria and fungi. One of the reasons BiotaMax is so successful, is the delicate balance of both bacteria and fungi, and the balance of different fungi and different bacteria.

It is also my understanding that OMRI has limited the use of compost tea to 90 days before harvest. This is because when you grow organisms in uncontrolled conditions, the pathogens will also grow. WHen you make the brew to grow the bacteria, there may be insects, or lizards, or worse (feces) that harbors pathogenic bacteria that may grow, and be a hazard to you and your family.

Grow bacteria in the laboratory, not the lavatory.
chuckbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #13
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbaugh View Post
Unfortunately, all the organisms do not grow at the same rate. The products are grown in the laboratory separately, then added together when packaged. This assures the benefit of each of the organisms. Each organism was chosen for very specific functions.

when you re-grow the product, you are growing the one organism, or two organisms that grow fastest. This completely changes the ratio of organisms, and the ratio of bacteria and fungi. One of the reasons BiotaMax is so successful, is the delicate balance of both bacteria and fungi, and the balance of different fungi and different bacteria.

It is also my understanding that OMRI has limited the use of compost tea to 90 days before harvest. This is because when you grow organisms in uncontrolled conditions, the pathogens will also grow. WHen you make the brew to grow the bacteria, there may be insects, or lizards, or worse (feces) that harbors pathogenic bacteria that may grow, and be a hazard to you and your family.

Grow bacteria in the laboratory, not the lavatory.
So are you trying to say that when I use the product in different soils outside or inside in containers that the microorganisms will all just grow in the soil in perfect ratios and will be unaffected by insects, or lizards, or worse (feces)((bird poop) just because it came straight out of the package and into a watering can?

I am sorry I do not follow that logic at all. Also I would never grow a plant or even bacteria for that matter in a bathroom.

Here is the exact recommendation from the NOSB that the OMRI is based on that you kinda quoted out of context.

Notice there is no such restriction on use of compost tea that is made with plant materials.

If any manures or sewage sludges are used then a fecal bacterial test is required or the 90/120 days you referred to.

Anyways here is that complete text:

Compost teas must be made with potable water. Equipment used to prepare compost tea must be sanitized before use with a sanitizing agent as defined by 21 CFR 178.1010. Compost tea should be made with compliant compost or vermicompost, using the NOSB recommendation for compost and vermicompost mentioned above, and as defined in section 205.203(c)(2) of the NOP rule. For compost tea, this applies to 100% plant feedstock materials, in addition to manure feedstocks because non-manure compost feedstocks may harbor high levels of fecal bacteria. Compost tea made without compost tea additives can be applied without restriction. Compost tea made with compost tea additives can be applied without restriction if the compost tea production system (same compost batch, additives, and equipment) has been pre-tested to produce compost tea that meets the EPA recommended recreational water quality guidelines for a bacterial indicator of fecal contamination (US EPA, 2000). These indicators and the passing criteria are Escherichia coli (126 CFU/100 ml) or enterococci (33 CFU/100 ml). At least two compost tea batches must be tested using accepted methodology (APHA-AWWA-WEF, 1999; US EPA, 2000), with the average population of indicator bacteria across compost tea batches used as the measurement of passing. Each new batch of compost would require that the system quality assurance pre-test be conducted again as indicated. After it passes again, compost tea from the system can be used without restriction, provided that an annual re-test is completed. If compost tea made with compost tea additives has not been pre-tested for indicator bacteria, its use on food crops is restricted to the 90/120 day pre-harvest interval. Crops not intended for human consumption, ornamental plants, and grain crops intended for human consumption are exempt from bacterial testing and 90/120 day pre-harvest interval restrictions. Raw manure extracts or teas may be applied to the soil with a 90/120 day pre-harvest restriction. Foliar applications of raw manure extracts or teas are prohibited. Compost leachate may be applied to the soil with a 90/120 day pre-harvest restriction. Foliar applications of compost leachate are prohibited.
Old March 9, 2011   #14
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I think the main problem with growing your own culture from one of these commercial products is that what goes in probably isn't going to be the same as what comes out. Some of the bacteria and fungi may grow slower or faster, some may not grow at all or be wiped out growing in a jug of water. In a lab, each is grown separately, in sterile conditions that are designed for that species, then they are combined dry. My guess would be the trichodermas at least, being molds, would not like an aerated liquid to grow in.
Not sure where the protozoa are coming from unless you have contamination somewhere. Some random searching found mention of using a pressure cooker for 45 minutes to sterilize growing medium for a trichoderma culture.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2011   #15
chuckbaugh
Tomatovillian™

my apology if i mis-quoted the OMRI information. I do not have the experience making compost tea to know which types are pure and which are contaminated. All of my experience is in the biotech laboratory where the smallest contamination is visible, and not acceptable.

The main difference, between the field, and growing the bacteria/fungi, is that in the field, there is competition and limited resources. The fecal coliform organisms do not typically grow once the feces breaks down. Outside of the body, they are very weak organisms. Outside the body, the conditions are not right for growth.

If you put them in a jar, at the right temperature, and with the right nutrients, they will grow. And in the field, you do not have any quality control to know what is growing.

in the field, you get very slow growth, 10 times, 100 times, and up, over time. When growing the bacteria, you get duplication every 30 minutes (average for bacteria), so you get very rapid, uncontrolled growth until the nutrients are utilized.
chuckbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote