Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old December 1, 2011   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Apricot seeds - germination?

My grandparents had an apricot tree that had the most delicious fruit - it died 20 years ago. A son of that tree is still bearing. I have collected around 50 pits from that tree, but cannot get them to germinate. I am desperate to have one of those trees - any suggestions on how to germinate an apricot seed?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #2
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I was given a large garbage bag of mostly over-ripe apricots for my chickens, probably 3 years ago. I just dumped them in a pile in their run and let them have at them. Well, last year I decided to plant my peas and cabbage along one side of the fence where I had dumped the apricots since we had relocated the run to provide fresh (green) ground for the chickens. Much to my amazement, I found several apricot seedlings. I couldn't say how many I "weeded" before I realized they were sprouted apricot trees. So without any knowledge of how to grow them, I would say it takes a long time to get them to germinate or perhaps it is the hull that interferes, I couldn't say.
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Thanks - here is what I am doing now - copied these instructions from someplace on the Internet. 3 weeks after putting the hulled seeds in the fridge, and there seems to be the slightest bulge developing on one side. I am hopeful!

Get the pits you want to plant and let them dry out for a couple of days. Carefully crack the pits open to get the seeds. Soak the seeds in water overnight then wrap them in a damp paper towel inside a jar and put in the refrigerator. (The alternative is to put in a zip-lock bag of potting soil in a jar.)

Leave the jar in the refrigerator until the seeds sprout. That should be six weeks to two months. Plant the sprouts in seed starting potting soil in containers with good drainage. They like to be moist but not wet. Keep them in a warm sunny window.

Planting outside time is after all danger of frost is past. When the seedlings are planted, be sure to not disturb the roots. Some recommend using milk cartons so the container can be cut away leaving the root system intact.

ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #4
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Hope it works for you. If not I would look into grafting from the other tree.