Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old June 4, 2011   #1
renny1
Tomatovillian™

Default potato plow

Has anyone ever used one? Interested in which one does the best job of bringing the potatoes to the top and can also be use to make a furrow for planting. Looking at category 1, 3 point hitch but anything useful would be helpful. I like my fork less each year. Thanks.
renny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2011   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

I have used them on my gramps farm when I was a preteen. My uncle owned a machine shop so not sure of the specs as he made it.
If you look at the shape of the main part of this paw http://www.stencilease.com/db/display.asp?input=2308 and flip that upside down it would match the basic shape his was. I am pretty sure his was just two disk that were cut to shape and then wielded together to make it thick enough. It was mounted on to a three point hitch. The conical side faced the front of the tractor. I do remember it did a really good job and that there were only a handful of potatoes that would get cut (damaged) in a 50ft row. The reason it was that shape is so it would push the potatoes to the sides of the row.

He used it on one of the small old case tractors.

As far as planting out goes he always just used an old push plow though pretty sure that was just his preference as he had a variety of different plow attachments for his tractor.
Old June 15, 2011   #3
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

This is all you need. I use it to make a deep furrow at planting time. And again at digging time. It will get under the potatoes and roll them right up on top of the ground. Never any damage.
LINK http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...buster-2128228
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2011   #4
renny1
Tomatovillian™

That's the info I was looking for, thank you. Do you have to adjust the angle to make a furrow and then again to dig potatoes or do you just use it as is for both?
renny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2011   #5
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

The setup and angle are the same for both.
Old June 16, 2011   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was going to mention the middle buster to dig potatoes but I see someone already has.

My father wouldn't let me use one because he said you didn't get all of the potatoes.

We had to use a spade fork and sift the soil to get every last one. It was back breaking work.

I remember my mom telling me to pick out my potatoes for supper and she would fry them for me.

So I would go out to the barn and get the potatoes hoping no snakes were there to bite me.
I must of been 9 years old when I did this and it lasted till I was 18.

The potato plow brings back memories of our neighbors with a mule pulling it digging up potatoes in the summer.

The history books talk about the old days when Europe depended on potatoes but even today I get nervous without potatoes in the house.

They were a substantial part of everybody's diet and to this day my wife cant get over how many potatoes I eat.

Thanks for the memory.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2011   #7
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

I've never had a problem getting all the potatoes. I plow them one time pickup all I see on top of ground. Then I plow them again and my wife walks behind the tractor and watches for any that may get covered up and gets them. Out of 600 to 800 lbs we don't miss any. LOL!!! Sure does beat the fork!!! I don't think I could dig 200 ft with a fork now. When I was a kid if it where not for beans and potatoes I would have starved to death. My dad died when I was 10 months old and momma never remarried. Very hard growing up. But I would not trade it for any other. Thank you momma I going to miss you!