Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2013   #1
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default fertilizer preferences

would anyone care to share their fertilizer preferences for peppers and eggplants.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #2
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I do fish emulsion and kelp early on, then once they start flowering I hit each plant with a handful of bone meal every two weeks until a month before frost.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2013   #3
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

I'm using rabbit manure only this season. I haven't established a set schedule or quantity yet but it's looking like the eggplants might need more than the peppers and both are in the same 4' X 8' bed. I added a couple cups full of poop when they began flowering and it appears as though the peppers might be getting a little too much nitrogen. Both are producing fruit now so I'll probably continue adding a couple cups of poop every three weeks or so with more in the eggplant part of the bed.
Old June 20, 2013   #4
peppero
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the input. i have been considering getting a rabbit or two again just for the fertilizer.

jon
Old June 20, 2013   #5
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Jon -

I've read that rabbit manure is about the best fertilizer one can use in a vegetable garden but using it, as with about everything else I'm doing and growing in the garden, is in the trial phase. I wouldn't want to keep, care for nor eat my own rabbits though . Luckily I found an excellent local source for it -- a lady who sponsors a group of 4H kids who raise rabbits to show.
Old June 20, 2013   #6
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I've tried rabbit manure last year and my tomatoes and peppers did very well. Fred Hempel was kind enough to share some of his with me. He stopped recieving it last year so I found some lama manure through a friend. I was assured it was clean and so far it has done the job. What could possibly go wrong when an animal diet is alfalfa and nothing else. Its a great gentle fertilizer with very minimal risk. Having said that I wouldn't use it in any kind of container application.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #7
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Damon thanks for sharing that.

jon
Old June 20, 2013   #8
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info, Damon. May I ask why you wouldn't use it in a container? I've seen a couple of references regarding not using manure and/or compost in a container and since I know nothing about the subject I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #9
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing chile peppers for a few decades and have had excellent success with good quality compost and pelleted chicken manure. I think the key is not overfertilizing peppers no matter what you are using.
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2013   #10
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycomania View Post
Thanks for the info, Damon. May I ask why you wouldn't use it in a container? I've seen a couple of references regarding not using manure and/or compost in a container and since I know nothing about the subject I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
I just prefer something that's readily available for plants in containers as far as ferts go. Such as time release ferts. Not that it cant be done, but in my experience manures such as rabbit dont work as well in containers as it does in the ground. Just my experience. Same with trying to stay organic in containers. It takes much more attention in trying to keep microbes alive and thriving.

Damon

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote