Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2013   #1
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Default Do you take a morning garden stroll?

Sometimes in the morning, before my work day starts, I'll spend it walking through the garden, pulling a weed here, a sucker there, and generally looking at and enjoying everything. Especially now, with so much life, flowers in bloom, tomatoes fruiting, etc.

I have yet to walk around with my cup of coffee in hand, but that may be next!

Does anyone else's morning routine include a garden walk?

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #2
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Yep, but my venture is to hand pollenate my squash and cucumbers. The bees won't get out of the borage long enough to do it. And, looking for more gopher destruction and re-setting traps . Ha, ha, ha, but, I'm sure I'd be out there anyway though. Lorri D
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #3
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Yes, absolutely. Every day before work and especially on the weekend. I love the late evening walk also. Sometimes I'm so consumed with gardening/landscape projects that these are the special times a day that I truly get to enjoy the beauty and peace that my garden offers me. I always try to be observant when I am working in the garden but I'm never more observant and appreciative of nature than when I'm on these early morning or late evening walks.

Gotta do the coffee walk. Extremely relaxing and with something in your hand you tend to observe more instead of pulling the weed, re-tying the stake or pruning a sucker.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #4
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Every morning it's not raining, and then as soon as it stops. Just to see what's new. And I find that if I've made an egregious mistake (like, say, leaving seedlings in one inch deep cups in a two inch deep tray out in the rain) I can catch it before it's a total disaster.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Sometimes in the morning, before my work day starts, I'll spend it walking through the garden, pulling a weed here, a sucker there, and generally looking at and enjoying everything. Especially now, with so much life, flowers in bloom, tomatoes fruiting, etc.

Kathy
Absolutely. On my stroll this morning I found my first tomato plant killed and eaten by gophers.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #6
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely! Every morning to check on things and grab a fistful of kale to toss in our morning smoothies.
Old June 18, 2013   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Every morning it's not raining, and then as soon as it stops. Just to see what's new. And I find that if I've made an egregious mistake (like, say, leaving seedlings in one inch deep cups in a two inch deep tray out in the rain) I can catch it before it's a total disaster.
You got that right.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #8
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post

Kathy
I confess to taking my morning walk with coffee in hand this morning. Normally, I just sit and observe things while drinking my coffee, then walk, but something caught my eye today.

I'll go one step further and admit I talk to my plants. "Hello babies, how are you this morning..." My usual response is that people laugh and say something like; "but they don't talk back." I reply that yes they do, they just use sign language. I then give a brief explanation on how plants can talk to you. So far, nobody has got the net!

I feel totally 'OK' with talking with my plants, especially since I have met two people who openly admit to playing classical music for their plants. I would do that if I had an easy way to do it. I think tomatoes would like Brahms.

Russel

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #9
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I have an old lawn chair in my garden, and at the end of the day I like to sit there and dwell with an IPA relishing the grandeur of nature.

I also begin my day with a coffee cup surveying what the night created or destroyed.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #10
Sharpcheddar
Tomatovillian™

I work nights so I love coming home in the morning and checking out my garden before going to sleep
Sharpcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #11
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

The wife and I take the evening stroll, just before dusk. It's a pretty good walk thru all the garden areas here. We have trekking sticks (also serve as snake sticks, rarely) that we take with us and use mostly to point and sometimes jab at various objects. We discuss what needs to be done, what possibilities exist, how much things have grown (or not grown) and check out the birdie nests. We have a bird nest trail and viewing area with about 30 bird houses, mostly for the Western Blue Birds and tree swallows. Some flycatchers from time to time. We get back to the house around dark.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #12
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I'm out everyday, several times a day.

The plants must produce giants or risk punishment.
Old June 18, 2013   #13
ChilliJez
Tomatovillian™

It's barely light when I leave for work. I have to take a tour of the babies when I get home.

A newly acquired obligation is to monitor my blood pressure. I'm going to do it before and after I've checked my plants. Just imagine if there's a demonstrable health benefit in checking my tomato and chilli plants. I anticipate there will be!

New spring in my step I can tell you!

Jeremy

Last edited by ChilliJez; June 18, 2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling
ChilliJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #14
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

I love all the replies! It seems as if gardeners are kindred spirits in many ways.

I would propose that, for anyone interested, take a picture of something interesting or that you'd like to share about your garden, during tomorrow's morning (or evening!) garden walk, and post it here. I would really love to see what you're seeing, and I will do the same.

Redbaron, terrible to hear about your loss! That would be an unhappy picture to post.

Master Gardener, I'm also a drink coffee first, walk later sort -- but maybe I'll trot the cup out next time.

Salsacharley, I love beer of any stripe so I highly endorse your IPA ritual! Maybe I'll save that one for the evening visit?

TomATo -- Sounds like you have a much longer walk than I do! I have a small front yard, some side beds, and a medium-sized back yard -- but what I do have is stuffed with plants!

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #15
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

i take an after noon stroll, inspection pass through. Its a must!
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote